Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parker’s BBQ - Wilson location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parker’s BBQ - Wilson location

Got a friend of mine who lives in MD but his family goes back generations to eastern NC. He’s heard/seen of my attempts at ‘cue (never eaten it) and when I was up there a couple months ago he asked me to check out Parker’s BBQ. This is his mountaintop - stops there to AND from visiting his family. Has to be the original in Wilson tho, apparently the other location doesn’t hold up their end of things. He wanted me to try it, tell him what I thought, and see if I thought I could smoke up something as good. So I got up at 5am today, had to drop my daughter off at Camp Seafarer in Arapahoe, NC on the coast. Figured on the way back we’d make a slight detour and check it out...

We arrived at 11:45am, I figured great - just before church let’s out, we’ll beat the crowd. Let me tell you... I almost drove past it because I thought it was a car dealership - that’s how big the parking lot is! And I had to park in the overflow dirt lot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A244E774-581B-4D72-955C-C9E164418845.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	704967

Once we were up the ramp and thru the doors two guys greeted us, checked their runners, and pointed us in the direction of a free table. Couldn’t believe we had no wait, but this place is huge and HIGHLY efficient. Sit down, and immediately get menus and drinks. (And I just love when they bring you those small pitchers with refills from the start).

Click image for larger version  Name:	A6335688-EEDA-4DBB-BA52-C89CCA008CBE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	790.9 KB ID:	704965

My wife wife and I both ordered the large bbq plate. About 3 min later it arrived.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8E6D6BC0-00A8-4057-80A9-D736C10F3E3D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	840.8 KB ID:	704966

I wont get into the sides, just the pork. Classic eastern style chopped. Moist but not wet, slightly seasoned. Not a big pork flavor, really no smoke to it. Very typical I’d say, and certainly not bad. There’s a reason that massive parking lot is full and they’re just rolling people thru there. Would I go back? Meh, wouldn’t make a special trip but if I was in the area sure. My wife was a bit harsher, tho I think her expectations of eastern NC style were a bit off. She said "the consistency is like tuna out of a can, and very plain, no flavor, I can do that in a crock pot. Yours is 10X better. I wouldn’t come back." Can’t argue with her really.

For sauce there were 3 options: Texas pete (made in NC btw), vinegar, and the two mixed (which I like).

Click image for larger version  Name:	EF69683E-F111-4B98-875B-996A20283AC6.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	643.2 KB ID:	704964

Cash only. The second you step away from your table 2 guys bus it. By the time I paid they were seating people. My wife says "I’ve spent longer in a McDonalds". Did I mention highly efficient?

All in all a good experience. My expectations are generally low for BBQ restaurants, and although this didn’t wow us it was better than avg and nice to get a true eastern style experience again.

In two weeks I have to pick up my daughter and plan on hitting The Skylight Inn on the way back... stay tuned! 👍🏻

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here