Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charlotte - Bill Spoon's Barbecue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Check out the Midwood thread. I'd like to have a meetup up there, maybe next week?

• DMac77
    commented on 's reply
    This is a late post but I saw the Bill Spoon's thread; think all of you summarized it well. I ate there once, it was good but further away for me. I eat at Midwood often because it's closer to the house and enjoy their food. Mac's Speed Shop is also good.

• ChrisDotson
    replied
    My vote (based on the brisket), truly unvelievable is Midwood smokehouse, Brisket is all i have to say, wow!

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    replied
    Wish I coulda been there.

Leave a comment:

• smokinsteve
    commented on 's reply
    Of course I'm going to try that!

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Congrats on the first ever Pit Meet Up!

Very cool!

Leave a comment:

• Josh Peal
    commented on 's reply
    I'm definitely going to give it a try. I'll do it his way the first time but then I've gotta figure out how to adapt my homemade rub and sauce recipes to match

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah HC I was telling the same thing to Josh and Steve yesterday. I hope I talked them into making MH's pulled pork recipe using the low and slow 225F method for 15 to 17 hours.

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    Since I have been doing my own, I say the same thing and the wife backs me up on it.

We went to a 50th B-day party not too long ago that was catered - everyone was raving how good the barbeque was; the wife and I just looked at each other and laughed after we tasted it. It tasted like food service barbeque to us compared to what I make at home....

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
    Dang, I was in Charlotte today and forgot about it
    Next time Sir. The next lunch will be at Midwood Smokehouse.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Josh Peal View Post
    I'm waiting for the invite!! Maybe I can bring some Carolina Gold with me
    That sounds like a good plan JP.

Leave a comment:

• Josh Peal
    replied
    Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
    Had a great time meeting Steve and Josh today. Both had very interesting stories to tell. At one point we were talking about flying C-130 cargo/transports (Steve) and at another point we talked about raising 60 chickens (Josh).

As far as the food... I was pretty happy. They cook the whole pig and stick to true North Carolina methods. The meat was chopped and had a light smoke flavor with a bit of peppery/vinegar sauce that had been added before it was served. On the table were a sweet tomato based sauce (think mild Kansas City Barbecue) and a vinegar based sauce that reminded me a bit of the commercially available Scott's Sauce. I liked both. I give the barbecue 3.5 stars out of 5. Overall I would definitely recommend this as a good place to eat lunch and get a barbecue fix.

All that said, it wasn't nearly as good as what I make at home. I guess I'm going to have to invite a few folks over at some point to actually prove that.
    I'm waiting for the invite!! Maybe I can bring some Carolina Gold with me

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Dang, I was in Charlotte today and forgot about it

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Had a great time meeting Steve and Josh today. Both had very interesting stories to tell. At one point we were talking about flying C-130 cargo/transports (Steve) and at another point we talked about raising 60 chickens (Josh).

As far as the food... I was pretty happy. They cook the whole pig and stick to true North Carolina methods. The meat was chopped and had a light smoke flavor with a bit of peppery/vinegar sauce that had been added before it was served. On the table were a sweet tomato based sauce (think mild Kansas City Barbecue) and a vinegar based sauce that reminded me a bit of the commercially available Scott's Sauce. I liked both. I give the barbecue 3.5 stars out of 5. Overall I would definitely recommend this as a good place to eat lunch and get a barbecue fix.

All that said, it wasn't nearly as good as what I make at home. I guess I'm going to have to invite a few folks over at some point to actually prove that.

Leave a comment:

• smokinsteve
    replied
    Agree with Josh that Spoon's is quaint. The staff was attentive enough without being overly so. I liked not having to add sauce to the bbq to make if flavorful as I've done in other places. There were two sauces on the table, neither of which had a lot of appeal to me. For sides I chose slaw and baked beans. The slaw had a kind of mustard color, but had nice flavor. Baked beans are my usual "go to" with bbq, and their's did not disappoint. Overall it was very good. Equally satisfying was meeting other Pitmaster members and getting to know a little about them. Looking forward to the next outing!

Steve

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here