Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charlotte - Bill Spoon's Barbecue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlotte - Bill Spoon's Barbecue

Overall, I felt that the place was quaint.
    The BBQ was chopped whole hog and it was fairly moist considering it wasn't sauced or vinegar'd.
    The slaw was decent as well as the potato salad and brunswick stew.
    In closing, I'd say the food was OK. There was definitely nothing bad about it and I'd gladly eat there again but there wasn't anything that put it over the top either. Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	39080

Left to right are Josh (Josh Peal), Dave (Pit Boss), and Steve (smokinsteve) Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	39079
    Last edited by Josh Peal; December 10, 2014, 10:10 PM.

Sometimes over expectation kills the moment of an otherwise decent plate of dinner. Heck, I was even excited for you guys to go!

Comment

I don't think I had my expectations too high, the food really was OK. Like I said, I'd eat there again and it was enjoyable but it just didn't stand out to me. We had a good conversation and it was a lot of fun.

David should be behind me this evening with food photos!

Comment

• HC in SC
        HC in SC commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on! Well, at least I had high expectations from reading the reviews and checking it out online.

Look forward to the pics.

Agree with Josh that Spoon's is quaint. The staff was attentive enough without being overly so. I liked not having to add sauce to the bbq to make if flavorful as I've done in other places. There were two sauces on the table, neither of which had a lot of appeal to me. For sides I chose slaw and baked beans. The slaw had a kind of mustard color, but had nice flavor. Baked beans are my usual "go to" with bbq, and their's did not disappoint. Overall it was very good. Equally satisfying was meeting other Pitmaster members and getting to know a little about them. Looking forward to the next outing!

Steve

Comment

Had a great time meeting Steve and Josh today. Both had very interesting stories to tell. At one point we were talking about flying C-130 cargo/transports (Steve) and at another point we talked about raising 60 chickens (Josh).

As far as the food... I was pretty happy. They cook the whole pig and stick to true North Carolina methods. The meat was chopped and had a light smoke flavor with a bit of peppery/vinegar sauce that had been added before it was served. On the table were a sweet tomato based sauce (think mild Kansas City Barbecue) and a vinegar based sauce that reminded me a bit of the commercially available Scott's Sauce. I liked both. I give the barbecue 3.5 stars out of 5. Overall I would definitely recommend this as a good place to eat lunch and get a barbecue fix.

All that said, it wasn't nearly as good as what I make at home. I guess I'm going to have to invite a few folks over at some point to actually prove that.

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah HC I was telling the same thing to Josh and Steve yesterday. I hope I talked them into making MH's pulled pork recipe using the low and slow 225F method for 15 to 17 hours.

• Josh Peal
          Josh Peal commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm definitely going to give it a try. I'll do it his way the first time but then I've gotta figure out how to adapt my homemade rub and sauce recipes to match

• smokinsteve
          smokinsteve commented
          Editing a comment
          Of course I'm going to try that!

Dang, I was in Charlotte today and forgot about it

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
          Had a great time meeting Steve and Josh today. Both had very interesting stories to tell. At one point we were talking about flying C-130 cargo/transports (Steve) and at another point we talked about raising 60 chickens (Josh).

As far as the food... I was pretty happy. They cook the whole pig and stick to true North Carolina methods. The meat was chopped and had a light smoke flavor with a bit of peppery/vinegar sauce that had been added before it was served. On the table were a sweet tomato based sauce (think mild Kansas City Barbecue) and a vinegar based sauce that reminded me a bit of the commercially available Scott's Sauce. I liked both. I give the barbecue 3.5 stars out of 5. Overall I would definitely recommend this as a good place to eat lunch and get a barbecue fix.

All that said, it wasn't nearly as good as what I make at home. I guess I'm going to have to invite a few folks over at some point to actually prove that.
          I'm waiting for the invite!! Maybe I can bring some Carolina Gold with me

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Peal View Post
            I'm waiting for the invite!! Maybe I can bring some Carolina Gold with me
            That sounds like a good plan JP.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
              Dang, I was in Charlotte today and forgot about it
              Next time Sir. The next lunch will be at Midwood Smokehouse.

Comment

• DMac77
                DMac77 commented
                Editing a comment
                This is a late post but I saw the Bill Spoon's thread; think all of you summarized it well. I ate there once, it was good but further away for me. I eat at Midwood often because it's closer to the house and enjoy their food. Mac's Speed Shop is also good.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Check out the Midwood thread. I'd like to have a meetup up there, maybe next week?

Congrats on the first ever Pit Meet Up!

Very cool!

Comment

Wish I coulda been there.

Comment

My vote (based on the brisket), truly unvelievable is Midwood smokehouse, Brisket is all i have to say, wow!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here