Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carolina Barbecue is a Culture all its own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carolina Barbecue is a Culture all its own

This is an interesting read. I like that they give a good call out to Scott's Barbecue (we love their sauce) and am going to have to give Bill Spoons a try.

Anyone want to join me?

Great article... thanks!

Someday I am going to explore all the Carolina sauce recipes that Meathead put together... what a great resource.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      I LOVE the AR East Carolina sauce. Tangy and full of flavor. Like it better than tomato based sauces. Much better

...too far of a drive.....

Comment

Yeh, I'll be there the next time I have to drive up to D.C. for an important meeting.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        D.C. should come to YOU if they know what's good for 'em...

What??? No takers on Bill Spoon's? Now I've not been there but would love to give it a try. Let's set it up!

Comment

Good article - thanks! The BBQ trail map is an excellent resource.

Of course I am partial to the the mustard sauce, but I have had some pepper vinegar sauces (E. NC Style) that were awfully good. Each has its own character.

Next time I'm in the Charlotte area I'll try Bill Spoon's for barbeque - after I try the brisket at Midwood.

Comment

HC if you want a lunch buddy let me know in this thread.

Comment

Great article, Pit Boss. We usually take a short family trip to Dataw Island near Beaufort, SC, every year. Do you know of any good BBQ joints in that area?

This article reminds me of a folk life festival that I attended in DC when I lived there. They had a demonstration of the various sauces used in the Carolinas (and their historical origins). I thought it was fascinating and am a fan of the Lexington style myself. I grew up in Michigan (Huskee may be able to attest to this) and we have a culture of whole hog up there similar to the North Carolina tradition. Been to a lot of pig roasts (or pig pickins) for graduation parties, reunions, etc. Unlike NC, however, we don't have much of a sauce culture in Michigan I'm afraid. Straight out the plastic bottle.

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

• HC in SC
              HC in SC commented
              Editing a comment
              Here is a link for a SC BBQ Trail Map (and other SC Vacation guides):

Get South Carolina travel tools, maps and vacation guides for an inside look at Palmetto State getawatys, and download your free SC BBQ Trail Map!

Just click the "SC BBQ Trail Map" for a .pdf with a map of the state noting BBQ joints.

I love the Beaufort / Hilton Head areas; but I must admit I don't travel there often enough to really reccomend a BBQ place in particular, but the Trail Map is a great resource.
              Last edited by HC in SC; November 25, 2014, 09:36 AM.

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the link! Yeah, the Beaufort area is almost paradise. : )

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here