Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lexington - Backwoods BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lexington - Backwoods BBQ

I went to the Lexington (NC) BBQ festival this past weekend and we met our inlaws there. We actually went to the wine garden first and they met us there. I wanted to go sample some of the BBQ but my Father-in-law told me it was all made by one company, the lines were long at every stand, and the food wasn't good. Plus he said he had a favorite local place that we should go to on the way out. So I said OK and kept drinking wine

We arrive at the restaurant and it has a nice full parking lot, a good sign. We get our table and menus, no pulled pork on the menu (which is common in Lexington), but they had chopped, coarse chopped and sliced BBQ on the menu. One coarse chopped plate please with fries for me!

The food comes quickly (too quickly it seemed) and the plate consists of some decent crinkle-cut fries, white cole slaw with lots of pepper, a basket of marble sized hush puppies, and about (8) 1-1.5" cubes of pork bathed in a reddish sauce. First for the positives, the hush puppies and fries were great, nice and crisp on the outside and soft and warm on the inside. The slaw was my favorite part of the meal - the heavy black pepper component gave a nice contrast to the slightly sweet slaw.

OK, on to the pork. Sauce was almost like a diluted ketchup, had some sweet flavors but overall really no spice or flavor at all and the pork was swimming in it. The pork had no bark whatsoever, was very tough and several of the cubes were almost entirely fat. It appears that this restaurant cooked the butt like a pork roast to a minimally acceptable temperature then cubed it up. It was awful. I ate part of the first cube, did some exploring on the remaining cubes, and ate everything else on the plate. My F-I-L got sliced BBQ and while it looked no better, he ate every bit and commented on how delicious it was. He asked me how mine was, and while I wanted to be truthful, I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I told him I wasn't as hungry as I though I was. Good thing they had a salad bar.

I should have followed my M-I-L's lead and got the hamburger steak, the waitress said it was the best thing on the menu.

Mike, nice review! I like all the detail and the peek into your night with the family.

Alas, I have had this experience at many BBQ joints lately. Once you've had truly good home cooked barbecue it's hard to be pleased by the mass produced stuff. It happens though, and when it does it's magical.

Comment

I have done the same at restaurants lately, It has gotten to the point I just don't want to pay for something I can cook better myself. It cost a lot more to go out to eat than it used to. Time you have alcohol and tips the price gets on up there. I am not cheap. I will pay for a good meal whatever it cost but they are few and far between these days. You think????

Comment

Great review! When I go out lately I end up getting whatever sounds good at the moment, like fajitas or a chicken dish of some sort, never ribs or pulled pork in a restaurant. I've been burned many times over the years doing that. Like you say they're never as good as your own so why pay someone for mediocrity? I will get a steak if the place is known for good steaks, but rarely "BBQ".
        Last edited by Huskee; October 31, 2014, 10:15 PM.

Comment

As correction, I got the name of the restaurant incorrect - it is Backcountry BBQ. I guess that's an indication of the impression it left on me.

Comment

Controversial I know -- but living near Lexington (in Winston Salem) -- I think after trying many of them the best BBQ there is still Lexington BBQ #1. You need to order "Coarse Chopped with Brown -- sauce on the side". They are reliable for juicy pork -- decent hush puppies, good "red slaw" (the local loved coleslaw type -- not because the cabbage is red, but the "sauce" is basically the same as the Lexington Style BBQ sauce (red peppers and vinegar)". I take mine to go (they sell it by the pound). But I also agree -- after making my own -- it's still no comparison but if I get a hankering it's only 20 minutes away instead of 8-10 hours away.
            Last edited by VanillaSmoke; August 22, 2015, 04:50 PM.

Comment

I would like to visit there and try that style of BBQ... have no experience with that at all.

​I see this is your first post... Welcome Aboard VanillaSmoke

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here