Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charlotte - Sauceman's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlotte - Sauceman's

I went here with a couple of friends/neighbors a few weeks back and wow was I underwhelmed. I had a massive plate of ribs, chicken, pulled pork, and brisket. I'd give everything 3 stars. I was very surprised as this place is legendary around these parts, they've got piles of wood outside the restaurant (which they use), and they are very well respected in the competition circuit. In fact, they were packing their trailer just outside the restaurant getting ready for a competition while we were eating. I felt like walking over there and telling them they needed to spend more time in the kitchen and less time polishing their trophies.

They must save all the duck fat for Pit Masters.

Comment

I think that your cook game has elevated to the point that restaurants just don't get it anymore. BBQ Shacks still surprise me occasionally but most times when I eat out for Q I have to get home and get something out of the fridge to get the taste out of my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
        I think that your cook game has elevated to the point that restaurants just don't get it anymore. BBQ Shacks still surprise me occasionally but most times when I eat out for Q I have to get home and get something out of the fridge to get the taste out of my mind.

Barry you've got a good point there. I've given a few BBQ places a good review, but more often than not nowadays I'm underwhelmed.

Comment

I remember being underwhelmed before I even got into home Q. I think BBQ would have an even bigger following if restaurants did it right. I will say Ruby Tuesday's ribs, although not home smoked obviously, are good. I like their sauce.

Comment

I think due to the cooking times it takes to prepare good Q', it isn't always practical to get it "backyard right." Unless you have sauce that hits the taste buds just right.

That is why I eat seafood and fish when I dine out. It is a treat since I don't cook it much, and it can be enjoyed more easily than the Q'.
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 17, 2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I found that too...Q' places around here are just bleh... not worth wasting time or money on. Although there is this guy with a grill and a smoker in a parking lot across town kind of like a permanent roach coach, I might check him out sometime, ya never know!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                I think due to the cooking times it takes to prepare good Q', it isn't always practical to get it "backyard right." Unless you have sauce that hits the taste buds just right.

That is why I eat seafood and fish when I dine out. It is a treat since I don't cook it much, and it can be enjoyed more easily than the Q'.
                Totally agree Jerod. I will occasionally get a steak, depending where we go, but it's usually a seafood or a nice pasta dish when we got out. Something I don't really care to or have the chance to cook at home.

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
                  I found that too...Q' places around here are just bleh... not worth wasting time or money on. Although there is this guy with a grill and a smoker in a parking lot across town kind of like a permanent roach coach, I might check him out sometime, ya never know!
                  I always wanted to do that kind of thing...but here in MI the fees are ridiculous to even do that- $199 inspection every 14 days (that's $400/mo in inspection fees alone). With the price of meat, and that overhead, and insurance, and dumpster...I couldn't sell ribs to cover my costs unless I charged $30/rack, if even that covered it in the end.

But those are the guys that make the best stuff. Small batches with lots of TLC, assuming he uses correct info and techniques.

Comment

David Parrish , was browsing and came across your review. I was at Sauceman's back in November '16 and had the same underwhelming impression. My wife's entire family is from Charlotte and they too hail Sauceman's as being one of the best. I had a sampler plate with brisket, pulled pork, smoked sausage, beans, and slaw. The brisket was sliced too thin and under cooked. Flavor wasn't bad, but it wasn't BRISKET. I am from the triad (Kernersville) and have grown up around good BBQ being right next door to Lexington. The pulled pork at Sauceman's was one of the most disappointing tray's of BBQ I've had. It was dry and stringy. I almost shed a tear after it being talked up so much!

On the bright side, the smoked sausage was delish. Now, I've not been to the land of beef yet, so I can't say it's comparable to TX smoked sausage.

Also, I'm inclined to agree that it's getting harder and harder to find BBQ joints that impress me...such a shame!

Comment

I'm on the side of those who think that those of us who can do good Q, steaks and such have found out that most places just don't cut it. I think especially as regards Q, the hard work necessary to have it "fresh" just goes past most Q places. Hiring good, reliable help is also a tough thing to do.

A BBQ place recently opened up in a nearby town, so we went to try it. The pulled pork was almost indistinguishable from the brisket and both were so "moist" that it was obvious they were kept in a warmer filled with broth. The SL ribs were beyond fall off the bone and were flat out mushy. The sides we tried were decent, which again speaks to the difficulty of having large amounts of "fresh" meat. Slaw and beans keep well; pulled pork that is ready to serve on demand not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by charles.yates3 View Post
                        David Parrish , was browsing and came across your review. I was at Sauceman's back in November '16 and had the same underwhelming impression. My wife's entire family is from Charlotte and they too hail Sauceman's as being one of the best. I had a sampler plate with brisket, pulled pork, smoked sausage, beans, and slaw. The brisket was sliced too thin and under cooked. Flavor wasn't bad, but it wasn't BRISKET. I am from the triad (Kernersville) and have grown up around good BBQ being right next door to Lexington. The pulled pork at Sauceman's was one of the most disappointing tray's of BBQ I've had. It was dry and stringy. I almost shed a tear after it being talked up so much!

On the bright side, the smoked sausage was delish. Now, I've not been to the land of beef yet, so I can't say it's comparable to TX smoked sausage.

Also, I'm inclined to agree that it's getting harder and harder to find BBQ joints that impress me...such a shame!
                        Haven't been back since my review. Good to know I wasn't missing out on anything... anything good that is.

Comment

Went there twice...my first and last time. It's so hard to go out and find food that is better than you can prepare yourself. The only place I really like in Charlotte is Spoon's on S. Blvd.

Comment

• David Parrish
                            David Parrish commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Uh, Midwood?

• Chuck T
                            Chuck T commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Been to Midwood a couple times as well and am also a fan...Have either of you tried the Midwood on Johnston? Wonder if it's as good as the others.

As we all know doing Q right is a lot of work. I think places start out doing it right and then start to cut corners. There is a place here in Lubbock that use to be fantastic I thought it was better than mine. But with each visit the taste became more and more subtle. Soon it was as if it was done in an electric smoker (It wasn't I can see their smoker and all the wood) I think they just got to streamlined (they were selling out by 12:30 each day) so trying to make more to make it to 3 pm I think watered it down.

Comment

Learning how to make my own bbq really ruined the bbq restaurant experience for me, to be honest. And I definitely don't consider myself to be an expert pitmaster yet. I end up disappointed with 99% of what I get at the restaurants, and then the bill turns me off to the other 1%.

Comment

• Huskee
                              Huskee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Wife & I had a nice dinner out a week ago. We got the $90 32-oz ribeye for 2. It was completely unseasoned. The steak was tender, juicy and all that, but ZERO seasoning, I've never craved salt so bad in my life (which wasn't on the table, as is the case with most fancy steakhouses). I just can't understand why restaurants seem to fail in some way at EVERY dish I try...you're so right.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here