Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doc Browns Candler, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc Browns Candler, NC

Had to go to Cleveland, NC Wednesday, so on the way back I took a detour to Doc Browns on the spur of the moment. I chose it because I like the name. Man was I pleasantly surprised. They don't offer a sampler plate so I decided to get a pulled pork sandwich with collards and a cuke and tomato salad. Everything was excellent. The pork was well seasoned and moist, the greens tender and flavorful and the cuke/tomato salad refreshing. The sauces were good too, a choice of vinegar based, tomato based and mustard. I used the mustard sauce. Definitely worth the trip, I'll be checking them out again.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220629_170424.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1245755 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220701-154038_Chrome.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1245754 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220629_164944.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1245756

Looks good!

Comment

I'd try that too if I was close enough.

Comment

There's so many cool places in NC, and they're almost all on the wrong side of the state

Comment

Looks good. When we go that way in September, we’ll have the dog with us. Do they have outdoor seating?

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes they do. Check them out, let me know what you think.

• Draznnl
            Draznnl commented
            Editing a comment
            klflowers I’ve already started working on my wife about hitting as many barbecue places as possible because they’re likely to have outdoor tables.

Originally posted by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs View Post
          There's so many cool places in NC, and they're almost all on the wrong side of the state
          Speak for yourself, cowboy. I've learned to love all of it...eastern, Lexington, western!

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            I live in no man's land on the east, we do NOT have good BBQ here. The most famous is Wilbers but it's absolutely trash (or was before it shut down, we haven't been back). We had a pretty good place for a few weeks ran by a comp bbq guy, until he got caught kidnapping and raping a lady in his place. I don't care about sauce type, I just like good food and all the places people rave about lately are WAY out of my way. I'm not doing a 3+ hour trip just for lunch.
            Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; July 9, 2022, 07:29 PM.

ItsAllGoneToTheDogs , I hear what you’re saying but Goldsboro, Kinston and Wilson will have a legacy of some of the best pit cooked BBQ in eastern NC. Scott’s, Griffin’s and Wilbur’s will go down in history as having started something that was unmatched for a long time. Parker’s and King’s likewise. But legacy doesn’t feed your desire currently, does it? I lament, as you do, the dearth of good BBQ in my hometown and the area. When I smoke a pork butt, you can bet the bank that I’m using Scott’s sauce on it or something that I create that mimics it.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            Sauce wise, we like Scotts and there was another brand we really liked but can't find it in the store anymore. Smithfields actually isn't too bad, but I mostly make my own E. NC sauce but mines too spicy for my wife's tastes The sad thing about most of the BBQ around me right now is it really feels like it's coming out of a crockpot, and crockpot pulled pork is great but it's not what I want from a BBQ place.

Looks legit to me

Comment

Man, I gotta try collards!!

Comment

Thanks for sharing, klflowers. That sandwich looks delicious. We're going to be down that way in a couple weeks, so we may have to give it a try.

Comment

Looks great, noticed on the sign (col beer)

Comment

Reading the menu board, was I the only one who had to look up what tempeh was? I had never heard of it before and surprised, after finding out what it is, to see it on a BBQ menu.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here