Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nobel Smoke. Charlotte, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobel Smoke. Charlotte, NC

Our last BBQ stop on North Carolina trip took us to Nobel Smoke.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211006_153323999.PORTRAIT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	1107006

Arriving half an hour after they opened, the place was already starting to get busy. It was a little surprising that they can start packing them in at 11:30 AM on a Wednesday, but it turns out there is a good reason for that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nobel Smoke menu.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	1107008

Being our first meal of the day, we went with a 1/4lb of all the meats available, and half a rack of ribs. For sides, we went with onion rings, and hush puppies. We skipped desert on this stop, but more than made up for it later in the day. That however, is for another post.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211006_155834362.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.27 MB ID:	1107007
    Three sauces were available on the table. Their version of the Lexington Dip, a sweet tomato, and a spicier version of Western North Carolina sauce.

We were not given an option of flat or point for the brisket, and got 2 slices of flat with our order. We all know how hard it is to keep a brisket flat moist, and get it tender too. Well don't despair, Nobel Smoke struggled with it too. Their brisket is very good for being the flat. I really wish all places would give you the option of ordering just point, but then they would have to figure out what to do with all the flat that nobody orders.

The pulled chicken was very good bordering on excellent. It was tender and moist, but the Western North Carolina sauce on it was not what I would choose for chicken. To my taste, the vinegar over powered the flavor of the meat. That did not stop us from finishing all of it.

The pulled pork was just that, run of the mill pulled pork. Fork tender, and juicy, but lacking in overall flavor. This meat needed sauce, and all three of options available helped out quite a bit. This was one of the meats that made it into the doggy bag. Luckily pulled pork reheats well, and was enjoyed later.

The ribs were fine eating, with a good crust of a just sweet enough for pork rub. The smoke profile was spot on for my taste, and each of the sauces elevated the overall experience. A few bones made it into the doggy bag, but that was mostly due to the sheer quantity of food rather than the quality.

The turkey was the real star of the show. Well seasoned, full of flavor, cut across the grain, and just the right touch of smoke. Turkey breast is not in my arsenal, but given how much I enjoyed this example, I think I'm going to have to add this to the rotation and hope I can turn something even close to what they produce.

The only kind of miss was the sausage. It was presented as a bratwurst, but I can tell you without any doubt, that was not a brat. After 25 years of living in Wisconsin I know a thing or two about brats. If this sausage was advertised as a hot Polish, it would have been pretty good, but the grind was too fine for my taste. The flavor, while not at all like a brat, was pretty good.

The sides were not after thoughts at Nobel Smoke. The onion rings had a tempura style batter that I really enjoy, while the hush puppies were full of flavor, crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside.

All in all Nobel Smoke is a great place to visit if you find yourself in Charlotte .
    Last edited by willxfmr; October 8, 2021, 08:06 PM.

Best fer the last, cool! Rewards await the diligent. Again, cool write up. I did have to look up tempura style. 👍

Comment

That place looks too clean to be any good, but you can't tell a book by its cover, back in the day.
      Those plates of food look good.
      Good review.

You done good.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; October 8, 2021, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here