Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Bridges Barbeque Lodge. Shelby, NC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Bridges Barbeque Lodge. Shelby, NC.

First stop on our North Carolina trip was at Red Bridges Barbeque Lodge in Shelby, NC.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211001_200106939~2.jpg Views:	142 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	1103710 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211001_200227500.MP.jpg Views:	92 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	1103712
    I had what is simply called the BBQ Plate. This consists of chopped pork shoulder, beans, fries, hush puppies, and BBQ slaw. The only other bbq choice was chopped chicken, but I couldn't get the GF to give it a go. She instead opted for the deviled egg sandwich with fries, and said it was very good. Looked a lot like egg salad to me, and was made with mayo, and not a drop of mustard. If you don't like mustard, this would work for you. I do like mustard, and it didn't work for me. But then again I didn't come to try the egg salad either.
    ​​​​​​The bbq plate, at $11 was good sized pile of food, and more than I could finish comfortably, so needless to say, I was a little uncomfortable when we left.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211001_201129417~2.jpg Views:	95 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	1103711
    The meat is your choice of either sliced or chopped pork shoulder, and it is very good. It didn't knock my socks off, but I was by no means disappointed. The sauce at Bridges is an Eastern style vinegar sauce with a moderate kick of heat that blended well with the pork. The pork itself was nicely cooked, staying juicy and tender without being mushy. There was a bit of smoke flavor in the bark, but sadly my order didn't come with much bark. If I were to stop again, I think I would try it with the sliced pork instead of the chopped. The sides were a mixed bag of very good, okay, and what the hell is that?. The hush puppies and the fries were very good. Crispy, properly cooked, and very tasty. The hush puppies also had a little kick of sweetness that I thought worked well. The beans were just okay. There was nothing wrong with them, but nothing that made them stand out either. The BBQ slaw on the other hand was interesting to say the least. If you take a finely chopped vinegar based coleslaw, add some more vinegar, and then mix in a vinegar based sauce with it, you get the BBQ slaw at Bridges. If you enjoy crunchy, vinegar sour bombs, you're going to love this stuff. I stopped at 2 bites simply because the first one was such a surprise, it had to be confirmed with a second.
    We got our desert to go, and it was an easy choice since it was the only choice. The banana pudding at Bridges is a very good, homemade treat that I recommend. When you combine the quality of the food, the fast and friendly service, and a good desert, Red Bridges Barbeque is definitely a winner, and a fine way to kick off our trip.
    Last edited by willxfmr; April 28, 2022, 05:19 AM.

Nice write up. My daughter and SIL live in Durham, and we could try some of these places when we drive there, so I’m very interested in your trip. I love that most of the NC joints have hush puppies.
    Last edited by Sid P; October 1, 2021, 08:47 PM.

Comment

The vinegar slaw description had me laughing upon the first read. I had to read it again and again until it became a full belly laugh! Great job. You made my night.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Bingo.

Very happy you enjoyed Reds. Bbq joints can be hit or miss with folks but I have always had a good experience with Red Bridges.

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Reds is definitely the kind of place I would stop at anytime I was passing through. Good food, nice people, and good value.

Good review. Hush puppies are such an under appreciated side. Always love a good hush puppy.

No cooler to store leftovers for later?

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        We flew in to Charlotte, so the coolers had to stay home unfortunately.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, thought it was a roadtrip! All good.

Nice write up. Made me want to throw a couple of spoonfuls of cabbage into a gallon of vinegar and see what I got.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Don’t ferget to add mo vinegar.

Thanks for the review. I travel to NC a lot for work so I will find this on my next trip

Comment

Nice write-up. I myself am not a fan of the red bbq slaw offered in this part of the state. I'll take white slaw on my sandwich that's been dressed with eastern NC vinegar sauce please and thank you!

Comment

Yup. Been there too. I don’t have anything to add to your review. Pretty much just how I remember it. Pretty good spot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here