Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road trip suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road trip suggestions?

We're flying into Charlotte, NC on Friday (10/01/2021) for a little family thing. The current plan is to head West out of Charlotte and pick up the NC BBQ Trail. First stop will be Shelby for a late lunch/early supper, and then wander over to Hendersonville to spend the night. Day two will involve dropping Mom off to stay with Dad in Bat Cave, and then circling back to Flat Rock for lunch. From there we are headed to Hickory/ to visit with some of the GF's family. I'm definitely planning a trip up to Lexington and may make an overnight out of it just because I can.

So for the locals down that way, is there a must stop place that you think I should hit, or one of the places linked above that I should skip? It doesn't have to be BBQ, but keep in mind I stay away from shellfish like the plague. Mostly because the end result of either is the same for me. As mentioned, the general route is going to be a right turn oval (is that even allowed in the South?) from Charlotte to Hendersonville up to Bat Cave/ Lake Lure, over to Hickory/ Catawba, and a side trip up to Lexington. However, for great food, a 100 mile detour won't bother me in the least. Also, if you happen to know of any good Bakery's in the area, I'd love to hear about that too. I happen to enjoy my sweets just as much as my BBQ.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Last edited by willxfmr; September 27, 2021, 11:52 PM.

NC BBQ Trail, what a way to plan a drive!
    Thanks for the tip/idea.
    BTW, google BBQ Road Trips, I never would have thought.

Comment

Check out Noble Smoke in Charlotte. It’s near the airport, offset smokers (all wood) and I hear it’s amazing. I will be trying it out in a few weeks!

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip!

Good evening willxfmr;

Being that you are arriving in CLT yes, Noble Smoke is a great stop (my buddy built their cookers)(have part of a NS cooker myself) and City BBQ is a great stop too. I Love all foods so, before leaving CLT on your way to Shelby stop at Las Pupusa Deli for some pupusa on the drive (speaking Spanish is nice but not needed)(it is close to the airport too). Not too far away in Concord and Salisbury is The Smoke Pit. Dang good eats and crazy amount of food.

Shelby NC: Please go to Red Bridges BBQ. I think you will be happy with Reds or Alston Bridges; I just prefer Reds.

As you get up closer to the Asheville area, it is hard to beat 12 Bones. They have 2 locations in the area.
      Buxton Hall is also in Asheville and does eastern-style whole hog. If you are wanting something off the bbq trail, Packs Tavern downtown Asheville is awesome. Anytime in Asheville we are eating at Packs. It has been a while since I stopped over in Hendersonville but, every place we ate downtown was great. Brooks Tavern was a popular place we would hit.

I can't help too much with Hickory. They closed our favorite German restaurant a few years ago so we don't go there much anymore. Coming on East to Statesville there is an awesome Colombian Bakery downtown and Randys BBQ (Statesville and Troutman). Troutman also has a nice German restaurant (Bavarian Kitchen); make sure to call for reservations.

I hope some of these will work on your travels. I live just north of CLT and are in CLT all the time. travel your planned route fairly often (western NC). If you need some assistance PM and will help out best I can. Lastly, bakery in CLT. Must stop is Amélie's French Bakery & Café. They have 3 locations in CLT but we always go to the N. Davidson St. one first, Park Rd location 2nd.

Let me know if you need anything and safe travels.
      Mark

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        You know Travis? He built my smoker! Thing is a BEAST!

• mcook2201
        mcook2201 commented
        Editing a comment
        Cauble's Custom Fabrications LLC / Smoking Steel Works

Know Travis quite well. He has built two cookers for me. We work close to each other and actually share a co-worker. Super guy and awesome fabricator.

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll squeeze in as many as I can.

While it's not quite on your list of locations, if you find your way to Weaverville (actually Waynesville, fixed on edit), I highly recommend The Chef's Table. Reservations are likely necessary, but we had a very memorable meal there a few years back while staying in the Asheville area. That dinner was followed by a live performance by Balsam Range in a nearby venue so it was a whole evening to remember.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-06 17.45.07.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	1102362

Name:	2019-07-06 17.45.11.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	1102363

Name:	2019-07-06 18.20.21.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	1102361
      Last edited by Jim White; September 29, 2021, 06:40 AM. Reason: Added pictures.

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Most of the week we will have base camp setup in Hickory, so the Asheville area is an easy hop for lunch/dinner.

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Oops. That’s Waynesville. I keep messing that up. Anyway, it’s a really nice place. It’s like they have Ernest plating for them. I still have some pictures I can put up later if you want.

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim White WOW! Looks like I might have to pack something other than a pocket t-shirt for that place.

Yep! He’s super talented! Here is my pit from Travis… mcook2201
      Attached Files

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang! I don't think one of those would fit in the overhead compartment on the plane, but I'd be willing to try if they let me.

• mcook2201
        mcook2201 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice indeed. Pretty sure I remember that build; solid cooker

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here