Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fette Sau, Brooklyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fette Sau, Brooklyn

Believe it or not, NYC does indeed host a few BBQ places that are, IMHO, quite decent. One of these establishments is Fette Sau in the Williamsburgh section of Brooklyn. They go Berkshire pork all the way, and also serve beef ribs, cheeks, brisket, and even pastrami and steaks. The meat is heavily smoked with a meteorite bark. That is not everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed the pound and half plate of pulled pork and St. Louis style ribs I had there.

Sounds like the real deal. I don't picture NYC as a "real BBQ" city, but I suppose anyone with a dream and the know-how can bring it! No one pictures MI as a BBQ mecca but come to my backyard, lol

Comment

Hi PMA from Brooklyn. I imagime any city that has 12M+ residents will have a BBQ following even if a bit difficult to find on occasion. I look forward to your posts and Pics when you can. Looking at your sig you are not a novice to Q and glad to make your acquaintance.

Comment

• Pit Master Apprentice
        Pit Master Apprentice commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there Marauderer,

I'm actually not from Brooklyn, but I visit the city as often as I can; my best friend lives in Manhattan. What you say is correct, with so many people in one place, BBQ will happen!

I'm doing ribs this weekend and will post some pics for sure. Also, I notice you're from GA. I went to a BBQ festival once, and the best thing I had there was a whole hog sandwich from a Georgian joint. Nice to make your acquaintance.

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
      Sounds like the real deal. I don't picture NYC as a "real BBQ" city, but I suppose anyone with a dream and the know-how can bring it! No one pictures MI as a BBQ mecca but come to my backyard, lol
      Funny you mention that - I have a dream of moving to Ireland and opening a "real" BBQ joint. My sister lives in Dublin and when she was in the States over Thanksgiving, she mentioned there is only one place in the whole city that tries to do Q, but she said the quality is not great and still the lines to the place go around the block. She said they seem to sell out of whatever they've smoked daily. Thinking that would be a sweet retirement, although the work and hours would probably be more than I'm putting in now at my day job - it would be a labor of love. A little shop and a smoker, - just bringing in enough to make a living for me and my lovely bride... <sigh>.

Comment

• Pit Master Apprentice
        Pit Master Apprentice commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome aspiration! Good beer, good cheer, and BBQ sounds like a great way to live.

Jim, that is a great idea but, you know in the food/restaurateur business it is a 24/7 endeavor. That is the only thing that has kept me from opening my own place. Also it would be eccentric and I would only prepare those Items that I liked and I don't do political correctness and stupid reall rubs me the wrong way. Anyway Good luck with your decision and I hope you are happy with it.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
        Jim, that is a great idea but, you know in the food/restaurateur business it is a 24/7 endeavor. That is the only thing that has kept me from opening my own place. Also it would be eccentric and I would only prepare those Items that I liked and I don't do political correctness and stupid reall rubs me the wrong way. Anyway Good luck with your decision and I hope you are happy with it.

Barry
        Barry - I have the same dilemma. I've never been in the pro food business, but I've seen enough Food Network shows to know that it is massive work for little return. Plus, I only tend to only want to cook what I like to eat ... and yeah, people (in general) suck and I don't think I could go back to dealing with the general public. But other than that it sounds perfect! <ha!>

Comment

I second the Fette Sau recommendation. I've lived in Williamsburg Brooklyn for 10 years now. They were one of the first real BBQ restaurants in New York, and over the past several years there has been a real growing movement (at least a trend) for real BBQ restuarants. Fette Sau remains my favorite. They change the menu based on the meats they get in (usually always have the core staples, like shoulder, ribs and brisket) but they aren't afraid to experiment. Anytime I see smoked pork cheek or smoked beef tongue (the tongue sliced real thin like pastrami) I am all over it. The owners also have a Belgian beer bar (Spuyten Duvel) across the street with a nice backyard and many serious, rare and delicious beers on tap and in dusty bottles.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here