Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting discovery at a Chinese restaurant in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting discovery at a Chinese restaurant in NYC

The picture shows part of tonight's dinner at Kung Fu Ramen at 49th St & 8th Ave in New York City. Those are "soup dumplings," xiao long bao in Chinese according to the menu. They have rich pork broth and a pork meatball inside the dumpling. The stuff in the square dish is a mixture of vinegar and red pepper sesame oil that you dip your dumplings in prior to eating them.

It occurred to me that the dipping sauce is very similar to Carolina mop sauce. It's vinegar & pepper used to complement a rich pork dumpling. It plays a similar role that Carolina vinegar BBQ sauce does for pulled pork.

I just thought it was cool to see how the same flavor combinations work across different national food traditions. Thought I'd share it with my fellow AR members.

If you find yourself in NYC, this is a nice place to check out. It's a tiny restaurant, and nothing fancy. They only serve a few different kinds of ramen, buns, and dim sum. But they do it very well. Prepare to wait in line for a table, it's very popular. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4761.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	706336

Very astute observation and it now has me trying to think of other examples of different cultures sharing a flavor profile. 🤔

Comment

If it works, it works. Finding parallels between regional cuisines opens up interesting doors. I'm currently cooking through Andy Ricker's Thai cookbook and once in awhile I'll have deja vu when reading about a particular technique or herb-protein combination. Haven't quite figured out how to merge bbq and thai flavors yet, but I think by the end of the book I should have some ideas to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton32828 View Post
        If you find yourself in NYC,
        Great post, but I actually burst out laughing when I read that. I can't think of a single thing that would require me to find myself there. No disrespect intended or implied.
        👍😁

Comment

Donw Cumin, citris, coriander smokey paprika and heat etc for grilled meat like shawarma, Greek food, tacos, harrisa

Comment

• JoannaNYC
            JoannaNYC commented
            Editing a comment
            Indian also.

I feel the same way about Ketchup, on a hamburger, with French fries, on scrambled eggs......marrying cuisines.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s Chinese too.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Spoken like a true Pineywoodsman 👍

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Somehow I don’t figure tomato cat soup in anything with the marrying cousins in it.

I desperately want soup dumplings now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here