Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coworker went to Katz's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coworker went to Katz's

She raved about it for 10 minutes. She also watched "When Harry Met Sally" recently so it was extra special. She walked in to get a turkey sandwich, sampled pastrami, ordered pastrami.

Did she sit in Sally’s seat?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      No but she got close to THE TABLE since it is conveniently marked.

Thats how it goes. My wife went last time I sent her and her friend to NY on her birthday. They sent me a reenactment video from that booth...

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Erm, that sounds like a rather personal video.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq it was funny, thank God I didn't open it at church, nobody would have understood, lol.

Now you've gotta make her some and you'll be her hero.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Had some last night. We have it often, I cure all our meats, and dry age primals too.

Huskee
    Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum! Smoking some myself this Thurs probably.

I questioned her to try and determine if it was navel or brisket. He didn't ask if she wanted lean or fatty, but she said he didn't appear to be carving out any connective tissue.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter online you can get juicy, lean, or really dry, so it seems point, flat with some fat cap, flat no fat cap, respectively.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter - nope, Katz' uses navel for their pastrami.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare othere interviews they have claimed it was brisket, and when I as they blow me off. Sometime while I watch the cut it, I can clearly see point and flat, other times not, so honestly I guess I'll take them at their word...wait, didn't aaron Franklin get outed for not just using salt and pepper like he claims? WTH I don't care, ill just eat it.
      Last edited by texastweeter; March 24, 2022, 12:39 AM.

Mmmm. Pastrami! I've never been to Katz, but last time in NYC went to the Carnegie Deli. It was INSANE how much corned beef and pastrami they load you up with on a sandwich. Wife and I could barely finish it, splitting one. If I ever go again Katz it is, but until then, I'll be content with Meathead's recipe.

Last brisket I bought I separated into flat and point before vacuum sealing and freezing, with the intent of pulling the point out and curing for pastrami. Looks like the time has come for a freezer dive to find that point and start the thaw. Wonder if I could just start the cure with a frozen brisket point, and give it a couple extra days...

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Same, made it to Carnegie but never Katz's. It was amazing. Pastrami, chopped liver, swiss, onions, with brown mustard on rye. Bowl of matzo ball soup on the side.

• Pobeque
      Pobeque commented
      Editing a comment
      Carnegie is decent, but Katz's is on a whole other level. Funny story, my brother got married at The Boathouse in Central Park. After the wedding we were partying in the hotel bar/lobby we were staying at, we ended up getting like 10 pizzas and multiple Carnegie pastrami and corned beef sandos delivered right to the lobby. That was the last time I made a drunken pastrami pizza mash up

The Katz's in downtown Toronto closed a few years ago leaving a giant hole in the smoked deli meat market.
    I remember fondly coming home with the meat shakes....
    I don't know if it was affiliated with the NY deli in any way thru family or just naming rights.
    Apparently to owners didn't want to go thru moving to a new location.
    I would think there was more to the story than not wanting to move but it was they're show.
    Some developer brought up the building Katz's was leasing in, its 17 floors a 400 foot condo's now.

Comment

Just thought I would share-

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2976.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1193783

Comment

Yep, I go there every time I am in NYC. It is a classic.

Comment

Spinaker , we go every time we make to NYC. I still order online for delivery out here on the Left Coast - pastrami, corned beef, latkes. I was very depressed when Carnegie Deli closed. Used to eat there regularly back in the early 90’s and lived in Manhattan.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh no! I didn't know the Carnegie closed down. I ate there last on a trip in 2010...

EDIT: I see on the Interwebs that it shut down in 2016. Glad I got to eat there a couple of times in my life (Couple of trips in the 80's, then again in 2010).
            Last edited by jfmorris; March 24, 2022, 09:44 AM.

That sandwich by DTro almost resembled the Rueben I had up in Copper Harbor many, many moons ago, the one I talked about in the recent post of most memorable. One thing about my mystery Rueben was, it had a little more corned beef & a little more kraut on it. Yes it stood tall.

Comment

Here’s a pic of the pastrami sandwich I got at Katz’s a few years ago. It was amazing! I’ve ordered pastrami from them online and it was completely different from what I got there.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	E0862386-0677-4765-A4FE-EB985B5B7330.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	823.8 KB ID:	1194693

Comment

Will be in NY week after next for work. I visit every time I am there.

Comment

• DTro
                DTro commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter If there's a line it is worth the wait. I almost didn't.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                I know, been several times

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here