Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buenos Dias from Costa Rica #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buenos Dias from Costa Rica #2

So to carry on from the previous post, we drove from La Fortuna to Nosara and stopped at a spot called Tres Hermanas BBQ in a town called Limon.

Side note for this post: Nosara is located on the west coast of the Nicoya Peninsula and should also be know as heaven. I have been surfing Playa Guiones every day which has nice gentle beach breaks to learn on so that a prairie boy like me can think he is sweet (knowing full well that I am not sweet at surfing at all). They planned this place from the get go to preserve the amazing nature and jungle while developing responsibly and the result is a town focused on yoga, fitness, surfing, great local food and authentic experiences. Check out the howler monkeys we see everyday from the patio of the condo we rented (1st pic).

Back to the Q! Tres Hermanas BBQ in Limon is right on the main highway, you can't miss the giant bull with huge balls right outside (me with the bull is pic #2). I had the mixed plate which included brisket, ribs and a sausage with curly potatoes and sauce (pic 3) while my wife had the brisket alone. We also started with the bean dip and fried plantains (pic 4) which were fantastic, they add a little smoked meat to the bean dip which gives it a great flavour. The dip was the best thing we are, and since it was about 100 degrees f outside, it was obviously accompanied by cold Imperial Beer (local CR brew, brilliant).

To judge, the ribs had a great texture and nice smokey flavour. The brisket had perfect texture, but for me was slightly under salted and was not smokey enough. The sausage was fine, not great or bad, just really rich and fatty (never a bad thing!). Sauce wise it was not my favorite, kind of a strange flavour, I would ask for sauce on the side of you ever go.

Overall it was good Q and scratched my smoked meat urge.

There is a guy in Nosara who smokes meat out of his house and delivers it to the organic market every Sunday, but he is on vacation till after we leave so I will not get to sample his product.

I am now on the hunt for fresh grilled Mahi Mahi and will let ya'll know when I get some. I will also post some of our other pics in my Outdoor Pics thread soon.

Pura Vida!
    BBQOaf
    Attached Files

Thanks for taking us along on your vacation! Way cool...

2 questions come to mind:

1) is there any reason to not have a Pitmaster Club member meeting in Costa Rica (ha ha)
    ...and 2)- Where exactly does a guy who smokes meat for a living, in paradise (aka Costa Rica), go for vacation, and why would he need to???

Comment

Huskee 1) No reason whatsoever not to.
      2) I was wondering the same thing!

Comment

Pura Vida, love Costa Rica!

Comment

Looks cool, always wanted to head down there but keep getting drawn back to Hawaii at the last minute.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here