Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headed to Espana - any recs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to Espana - any recs?

A bit off topic, but wanted to hear what people's recs were - we're going to Madrid and Barcelona and are looking for some good spots to eat and a spot to get some real jamon iberico and some really fresh, well prepared spanish prawns and langoustines. Don't need anything too fancy (we already have 2 nice meals planned), off the beaten path is always a plus.

I don't have any food recommendations other than get out of the tourist areas and go down the side streets. I highly recommend making use of the hop-on hop-off tourist buses, they are the best way to get around and learn at the same time. Also don't forget about siesta time, not much happens during that time, enjoy.

Comment

I don't know if the place is still there, but the recommended spot we went to many years ago in Barcelona was Los Carcolas. The specialty was seafood paella. I just checked and it's still there but only gets 3.5 stars on both TripAdvisor and Yelp. Anyway, it's off La Rambla, but I don't remember anything else. I was on shore leave while in the Navy, and alcohol was definitely involved.

Comment

Not off-topic at all! I did however move this to Member Reviews > BBQ Restaurant Roundup > Spain. This way it's organized for the future. Please update it once you find out some good (or bad) places. Happy travels!

Comment

I've got no recommendations for Spain. My oldest son went and had a blast! I'm sure it will be fun and educational.

As a side note, in a previous life, I found that the Mom&Pop shops off the beaten path were wonderful around the Mediterranean. I'd guess it will be the same in Spain. They may have only two or three meals available, but they will be absolutely delicious!

Comment

I agree 100% with kmhfive, I've been to Spain more than a few times, and you do want to avoid (as always) the beaten tourist paths. I find Fourquare (website/app) is incredible at helping me find the gold spots, regardless of country.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here