Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Trip to KC - Jack's Stack and Q39, and JJ's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Trip to KC - Jack's Stack and Q39, and JJ's

My last work trip to me to Kansas City. A chance to try some great Q and have good steaks!

I wanted to get to Arthur Bryant's, but didn't get the chance. Maybe next time.

Walking distance from my hotel was Jack's Stacks which came highly recommended by the hotel staff and Yelp. They were wrong. Not only is it very expensive but the quality and quantity was lacking. My measure of good Q is how well they do brisket and ribs, so that's the combo I ordered. Came with fries and slaw. The ribs were OK, not fantastic. On a par with Famous Dave's, but FD is certainly cheaper! The brisket was tender enough, but distinctly lacking in any smoke flavor or any other flavors for that matter. The sauce was middle of the road. Fries were OK. The sad part of this $20 plate was that the cole slaw was the best part (it reminded me of KFC slaw). The pic below is exactly how it was served and the quantities. A few ribs and a few slices of meat for $20. "Stacks" certainly doesn't describe it. I won't be going back. Click image for larger version

Name:	jackstack.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	99754

I also tried Q39 at the recommendation of the owners of the store I was working at. They have their own competition team and agreed with my opinion of Jack's. Q39 was excellent. Didn't take a picture but the ribs and brisket were very good as were the fries. Still not as good as what I make at home (damn this site - it has ruined eating BBQ out for me!), but way better than Jack's. I'd go back here.

For steak, I went twice to JJ's which is a semi-upscale restaurant, also an easy walk from my hotel. Excellent! Went two nights in a row and both times ordered the petite filet. Fork tender and served with a very good salad and a choice of sides. One night I had sauteed spinach and the next snow peas with shitake mushrooms.
    Last edited by mgaretz; July 30, 2015, 04:23 PM. Reason: fix spelling

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
    (damn this site - it has ruined eating BBQ out for me!)
    Hahahaha, I could not agree more! Q restaurants are almost always a disappointment now, the only restaurant I have been blown away by is Lockhart's in South Dallas, their brisket is spot on.

Comment

Mark my experience at Jack Stacks was similar. Overpriced and underwhelming.

bbqoaf I agree with you 100%. Lockhart's is great!

Comment

• bbqoaf
        bbqoaf commented
        Editing a comment
        so good, they even have devilled eggs made with smoked meat, those eggs don't get the glory they deserve!

I spent Tues and Wed in Kansas City, spent about the entire time dropping off and picking up a pack of wild girls for a One Direction concert. Even from outside the stadium you could hear the ear-shattering shriek of 60,000 teen girls, it was horrifying.
      I didn't get any BBQ at all, for probably the first time ever. Football season is coming soon though and I plan to hit them all this year except Jack Stack's now.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        I spent Tues and Wed in Kansas City, spent about the entire time dropping off and picking up a pack of wild girls for a One Direction concert. Even from outside the stadium you could hear the ear-shattering shriek of 60,000 teen girls, it was horrifying.
        I didn't get any BBQ at all, for probably the first time ever. Football season is coming soon though and I plan to hit them all this year except Jack Stack's now.
        _John_ You sir, are a good father. I can only imagine... I will say this, I would rather see fifty One Direction concerts than one Just Beiber. AT least OD has some good songs. Justin Beiber is only good on Saturday Night Live.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, that was funny.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here