Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet Smoke BBQ, Jefferson City, Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IowaGirl
    replied
    We asked a fellow from Texas who attended the same conference if this BBQ is as good as Texas BBQ. He grinned and allowed as how Texas BBQ really can't be beat. But he said he liked the food at this restaurant, even though he had to root for the "home team."

I've eaten at Arthur Bryant's, Gates and other BBQ joints when I lived in Kansas City in the 80s. The Sweet Smoke ribs were less sweet and less peppery than what I remember from these KC eateries, but still smoky, well seasoned, and succulent.

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    We were at an elderberry growers' conference. Work shirts and jeans were the order of the day. Lots of plain-dressed folks in the restaurant -- it's not a dress up kinda place -- so we felt entirely at home.

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Eating's serious work so you gotta wear serious work clothes

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    I will have to try it next time we visit our friends in JC. It looks delicious. Was just there a week ago and had great thin crust pizza from there favorite place.

Leave a comment:

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    If that Tee were dark brown and covered with Round House overalls that would be me in my everyday. CaptainMike

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Nice review and write up! I really like their sheet pan presentation. Tres chic!

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Top it off with a Ben Davis shirt and we be stylin'

• ComfortablyNumb
    replied
    Carhartt Tee, eh? I see your husband is a sharp dressed man!

Leave a comment:

• Butchman
    replied
    I’ll have to visit this restaurant when I visit my brother in Jeff City. Glad to hear there’s a good bbq near my hometown Columbia!

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    replied
    I didn't care for dark beers not all that long ago, but I do now. I really liked this one -- Revelation Stout from a brewery in St James, Missouri. Tasty. https://www.publichousebrewery.com/b...elation-stout/

Leave a comment:

• NapMaster
    replied
    I see happy plates! Plus, I can see someone was drinking a stout. Clearly someone with good taste.

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    started a topic Sweet Smoke BBQ, Jefferson City, Missouri

Sweet Smoke BBQ, Jefferson City, Missouri

My husband and I enjoyed supper at Sweet Smoke tonight in downtown Jefferson City, Missouri. We split a full rack of baby back wibs. The dinner came with bread, apple pickles, cucumber pickles, and 2 sides. We chose the beans and jalepeno cheddar grits.

We had barely sipped our drinks when the meal was served. The ribs were extra good. The rub was savory, just a hint sweet, not overly peppery, with a nice herbal flavor (rosemary?). The meat had some "bite" and good texture, but was nicely tender and jiucy. There were 4 sauces at the table, but neither of us bothered ... the meat was plenty flavorful direct from the pitmaster's hands.

The beans were spicy, slightly sweet, and piping hot, but my favorite was the grits. Nicely cheesy without being greasy or gluey. The homey, warm cheese and grit blend was accented with a hint of jalepeno flavor and heat. I have got to make this at home ... it's a nice alternative to mashed potatoes.

Servers were attentive and prompt without being intrusive. The food was served on well used sheet pans lined with pink butcher paper -- unpretentious and appropriate. One of the best BBQ meals we have enjoyed in a long time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_183940_compress95.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	694755
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_182430_compress54.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	694756Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_175501_compress3.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	694757Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_181939_compress18.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	694758

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here