Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a non-BBQ, almost sans protein, St Louis restaurant review. Enjoy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a non-BBQ, almost sans protein, St Louis restaurant review. Enjoy.

I thought this chef's approach unique enough, and interesting enough in regards to his severity of austerity style, and preservation of resources, to share here within the PIT. I would say this read is a step beyond brief, but no longer. In that I was fascinated the read was short enough.

My reservations are for Saturday - a day usually reserved during football season to be spent with my grills, but this event is important. And will serve to remind my wife that, I at times, am thoughtful of her.

https://www.stltoday.com/entertainme...F3849D2E84F65D

I love St. Louis. That is an odd thing to say about a city that embodies the problems of urban living without the offset of ethnic stovepipes of activities that can afford seclusion. St. Louis delivers eclectic experiences in abundance, with occasional world-class flair. It's these hidden diamonds in the rough, the Midwest ethos, and the naked approachability of the people here, some of which may become true friends without warning, that makes living here an unforgettable moment.

I'd eat there! (Depending on how expensive it is). ;-)

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      The top plate - 12 tastings - is $ 75.00. About $ 200.00 less than the same thing in Manhattan.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Not that bad for a special occasion. But then, I do eat in Manhattan often enough!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      See its only been open for a couple months. May be a good thing you getting in early, could be paying Manhattan prices in the near future

I hope you enjoy it, but that's waaay too fancy for me.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      The table-spoon sized entree comes with its own wine pairing. It's an acquired taste in the activity itself.

Here's a link to the restaurant website: https://www.savagestl.com/

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - I didn't think to provide the link, duh. I'm hoping a few of our Lou pit members will see this too.

If I spend that much on a meal, I want to feel miserable because of how much I ate, not how much it cost.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I honestly didn't think $ 75 for the top plate was much. My wife can spend that at Chipotle..

I'm not near sophisticated enough. I didn't even understand half your post!! Been living in the northern wilds too long I guess!

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm from the tundra too. Actually, the LOU doesn't have many, if any, dress-to-atmosphere places. If it does, I don't know about them because I can't afford them.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      To quote Kent Rollins, "Ya can’t get full on fancy". Some people like fancy, I like full.

I also like ST Lou. I've probably spent more time there than anywhere outside of Dallas/FW or either of my Granparents' homes. I've gone once or twice a year since 2007.

Salt + Smoke is my favorite restuarant. Very solid BBQ and excellent whiskey bar.

I'm not a huge fan of STL style pizza though, with the velveeta style cheese. It's not bad, but it's just slightly ... off-putting to me.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      No one here likes the pizza. My wife, from Chicago, was 'somewhere' with gals and said 'Imo's Pizza Sucks'. Mrs. Imo then said - not if you grow up here, it's an acquired taste.

Ha HA - no it's not....

The Lou's Dogtown Pizza rules. Just got into stores a couple months ago. Good for them.

If there's a JJ Twig's near you, their double decker pizza is very good. I haven't been to Imo's, but last time I was there this June, we went to Stefanina's, which is similar to Imo's and I thought I was eating ballpark nacho pizza.

Comment

Agree with your sentiments about STL. Lived there 20 years and loved it. It’s our second hometown. Two daughters still live there. I’ll see if they have tried Savage.

Comment

Lived in St. Louis for four years, married a local, returned often until her mom moved away. It's a secret city. There's great stuff there, but you have to know a local or work hard to find it. Or know your way around town. It was a year before I could find a few good places, but my future wife took me to all of them, and then I started to find them on my own and introduce her.

Love that town.

Comment

Last time I was in St Louis was 2004 . I was Exporting a Hearse from Philadelphia to New Zealand. The trucking company let me down at the last minute and I had it booked in a container leaving from Los Angeles. So, I got a red eye flight from Los Angeles to philly, collected the hearse (2001 Cadillac) and started driving like crazy to get back asap (2700 miles).
          Blowing through St Louis and the cops light me up. I slowed down and he gave me a dirty look and continued. Ended up at roadside rest stop near there and slept in the back of it for a few hours. In the morning I staggered out the back of the hearse. A couple were walking their dog and seen me. You should have seen the look on their faces thats my last experience with st louis.

Comment

Lol. Great story. What I would give to be a fly on the hearse when that happened

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here