Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying meat to smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying meat to smoke

Looking for recommendations where to buy meat to smoke; located in the Kansas City area or on the internet. Good cuts that will not break my bank.

Costco is my "go-to". Some of the larger roasts may appear to break the bank, but when you look at the price per pound and can freeze some of the cuts (i.e. - Prime or Choice rib-eye roasts cut into steaks and frozen) you really save a ton of money. I'm not from Kansas City but since you included internet, I figured you were not just looking for local butchers.

Comment

• sheltonjs
      sheltonjs commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry about my late response. Thanks much for the recommendation!

Costco for sure.

Comment

• sheltonjs
      sheltonjs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, and I apologize for the late response! I have never smoked game before, but looking forward to it whenever I can get out in the woods, now that I am retired.

• BigCountryQ
      BigCountryQ commented
      Editing a comment
      It's one of my favorite things to smoke! I host a wild game dinner for family every year from game that I've harvested throughout the year!

• sheltonjs
      sheltonjs commented
      Editing a comment
      I know it's great stuff. A County Sheriff (now deceased) would hold an annual "Road Kill" barbecue. Trust me, it was every type of game found in Missouri, and it was great!

Welcome sheltonjs

Comment

• sheltonjs
      sheltonjs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I have been a member close to a year now, but new on the forum thing.

Have had great luck with Creekstone Beef online and they are located in the KC area

Comment

• sheltonjs
      sheltonjs commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry about my late response. Thank you for the recommendation!!

sheltonjs I buy most of my meat at my local Sam's Club. Welcome to The Pit and we'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

• sheltonjs
      sheltonjs commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry about my late response. Thanks Much!
      I will check in at the Introduction channel.

Welcome sheltonjs! A couple other great online sources popular with many are Snake River Farms, Flannery, and for burger Pat Lafrieda. For more options you could check out Meathead's Artisan Foods page, with both raw and cooked suppliers.

Comment

• sheltonjs
      sheltonjs commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry about my late response. Thanks Much!

sheltonjs I live not far west of KC, in Larryville.
    I get probably 90-95% of my smoker meats from Hy Vee, or Sprouts. I search th' online ads relentlessly, buy in quantity when on great sales!!!
    Howdy Neighbor!!!

Comment

• sheltonjs
      sheltonjs commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry about my late response. Hey to you, and Thanks Much!

I am a little slow on posting on Forums and then finding where I posted. I sincerely appreciate your responses and recommendations. I am originally from Missouri, and now back in the KC area. I spent several years in eastern North Carolina, and it took me a while to get accustomed to their style of sauces, nearly all vinegar and pepper based. I do like KC styles of all types.

Again, I apologize for my late response! Thanks Much !!

Comment

You don't have to apologize for late responses. We are just a bunch of laid back people with a passion for two things. Good food and good techniques.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here