Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit recommendations for a restaurant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit recommendations for a restaurant

There’s a restaurant in southern Sweden that wants to get in on the bbq action. They have asked me to train their chefs (3-4 guys) so they can get started. I’m happy to do that, but to me the job is also restaurant consultation and logistics challenge. What do I mean by that? Well, they need help figuring out what to serve, and how long it’s gonna take to cook. Most likely not brisket, but instead ribs, tri tip, salmon etc. That’s what I’m thinking anyway.

I also got a question from them on what equipment they should use. I’ve been thinking they should go Hill Country style, where they can fit a lot of food in one large cinder block grill. They emailed asking if I think the Joe’s 24” extended chuck wagon is any good:

https://www.grillhouse.se/bbq-grills...-catering.html

The website above is in Swedish, but you can see the photos. It’s a relatively traditional offset.

Then I got to thinking: what _is_ a good setup for a restaurant that isn’t 100% into bonafide Texas ‘cue (meaning they won’t cook overnight for example)?

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Henrik; January 4, 2021, 12:29 PM.

I think the question is what volume they anticipate doing and whether smoked foods are/will be their main focus or one of several. There are interior restaurant smokers that live inside the kitchen and let you do low and slow in there, e.g. like this - https://www.webstaurantstore.com/190...or-smokehouses

I think these are propane or gas but someone with actual experience can talk more about them - I've just seen them on various cooking shows.

My main concern with a consumer sized smoker is that I can't see them doing a lot of volume on it. to alleviate that concern maybe something like the Karabeque or another high volume vertical would work.
    Last edited by rickgregory; January 4, 2021, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I think seeing a big American BBQ looking cooker out there will probably help draw people in.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup

Old Hickory Commercial Pit might work

The CTO-DW is twice the size of a CTO, and uses our patented technology to achieve the heat movement used in the convection ovens. The CTO-DW is offered in two different rack configurations. The standard four rack and the split eight rack configuration. With the eight rack configuration it will allow you to use the same racks that are in the CTO with a divider in the middle of the pit to optimize your cooking capacity.

Attached Files

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        This was what I’m thinking but if they don’t have somewhere to get it under cover it wouldn’t be a good choice, but those are awesome smokers

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        BIG money for that bad boy

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman it is fun spending other people's Kronas

I guess my first question is what’s their normal menu consist of, what style of food do they serve? How much room do they have for a smoker and if outside can it be under cover?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm gonna call them and discuss, will get back to y'all.

If they're liking for a stick burner what about one of yours? The Old Hickory, mentioned above, are a know, proven resource also.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I can build them one for sure.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik I was eyeing the CTO if things got too busy on my end.

Another thing is this - a stick burner needs attention regularly. Will they really have someone who can a) dial it in and b) baby sit it for several hours at a shot?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I've been thinking too. I'm gonna call them tomorow and ask.

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        People get sick, take vacations and just plain quit so they will need 2-3 competent people trained for a stick burner.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        @Dadf3Illinois yup, I was gonna mention that point, as wail...

https://www.southernpride.com I know they have several installs in Europe.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        They look really good, but the price! Ouch! Well, it's not me paying :-)

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Here is a european distributor. https://southernpride.eu/ Not pushing you towards them. Just familiar with them because my relatives used them in their restaurants and they always spoke highly of them. A lot of chains such as Chili’s and Famous Dave’s use them too.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Donw!

Maybe PaulstheRibList will stop by with some excellent advice.

Comment

Small amounts of smoking, Ole Hickory CTO or CTO-DW.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          They look good. Not cheap, but good.

I think a restaurant quality gas smoker is probably the best idea if they aren't a dedicated BBQ restaurant. And maybe even if they are. Easier to maintain, high quality, and less fire management.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't seen any gas smokers but I really like the idea for convenience.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik see my link above for gas smokers. They need bent work though

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment

You burn logs for the smoke, but it has a thermostat and a humidity controls, will vent the excess smoke out, and the necessary smoke back into the cook chamber, and can be outfitted with a rotisserie...

Not a huge Jess Pryles fan, but she breaks it down reasonably well, despite being a BBQ snob.

I don't know if it's the right one for them, but if they do get it and outgrow it, they could always add another. Lots of joints have multiple cookers.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          MCS is everywhere :-) Jokes aside, I agree.

You mention tri-tip and salmon but not brisket. That tells me that grilling is also an option. Several restaurants in my area have open Santa Maria style grills in their kitchen and mesquite or oak grill they're food. I guess knowing the menu, knowing the volume of food, knowing the layout, etc. would help to fit the pit to the project.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, exactly. I'm gonna steer them in that direction - have some grilling station setup also. Perhaps I can build them a Santa Maria grill ;-)

I have a golf buddy whose son open a BBQ restaurant in Geneva, Switzerland. He sourced a Fast Eddy (FEC) commercial rig (I think out of the UK). One issue he had was the need for it to be able to run indoors with appropriate ventilation. Not sure your clients want/need a fully outdoor or fully indoor rig, but thought to throw the info out there.

Commercial Equipment - Cookshack BBQ

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          As I was reading through this, was going to suggest the same until I saw this.

I don't know if they are available over there but I would look into a p&s pro smoker roaster . The have sizes I believe down to 100 lb versions.. but hey aren't cheap I priced one that is a 500 lb smokehouse like the one I have in my meat locker . For the smokehouse and smoke generator were 62,000 dollars!! But it would be sweet though. I tried to post a link but am too dumb.. maybe someone else on here way smarter than me can figure it out!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here