Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lonely Planet's list of best BBQ in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lonely Planet's list of best BBQ in the US

Someone on another site linked to this article and I thought some here might enjoy.

How many have you been to? I've been to three: Franklin, Snow's and ZZQ.

Between the small mom-and-pop shops and the slick spots slinging fusion fare, these are the places making their mark on the scene today.

Oh my. I am ashamed now. I have lived in Kansas City, St. Louis, and Charlotte, NC. I have only been to one on this list. Joe’s in KC. I think a road trip might be in order.

Comment

LC's is the only one I have been to.

Comment

Busy, so ain't clicked th provided link yet, but I'd haveta reckon quite a few Forum Members' home addresses would be prominently featured, on there...

Comment

Interesting list. Nothing out in California which helps explain why I've been a bit disappointed in the various BBQ places I've tried in the San Diego area.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, but you have a decent taqueria on every corner. I once lived directly across the street from one of the locations of Alberto's. I still miss the chicken burrito as well as the machaca at 4 in the morning.

Gatlins is my favorite in Houston.
          Sorry they made the list. Now it's gonna get crowded again.

​​​​​​

​​​

Comment

I’ve only been to Big Bob Gibson’s here in Alabama, on that list. I‘Ve had some good Memphis BBQ, but not at Cozy Corner.

Comment

Bob Gibsons and Cozy Corner are both really good.

Ive also been to Franklin's and Jones BBQ.

So 5 off the list.

I'm still fairly certain the best bbq is in places that don't make lists

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                One thing for sure - no one has been to every bbq joint.

Amen BFlynn . Every time I hear of one of these best lists I imagine all the places with even better BBQ that people passed by on their way to ones on the list.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm generally underwhelmed by TV shows about "this is the best of".  Nine times out of ten, they're just regurgitating the same old lists you find in countless other TV shows, magazines, blogs, etc.  I've chased a few of these placed down over the years, once doing a whole vacation following the barbecue trail through some list I saw online.

I learned something that holds true for many things; popularity is no guarantee of excellence.  There are exceptions of course.

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, and the ‘Best of’ articles too. The freelance author of this article is NYC based and also covers spas and beauty treatments in other magazines so there is the likelihood that this list was culled from other "lists" with very little firsthand knowledge.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here