Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Support for local establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support for local establishments

This is a shout out for all the local restaurants, pubs, etc. that have upped their game for carryout menu services. These folks are working very hard just to survive.

We have a little neighborhood pub called Romey’s Place bar and grill. Www.romeysplacebarandg.com. This is just a little neighborhood bar. The bar sits about 12-14 people, and there are about 6-7 small high top tables around a pool table. A real "Cheers" type regular crowd. But they have always had great food. I mean great.

Anyway, to survive like everyone else in that business, they have upped their carryout menu and offer curbside service. Daily specials along with the regular menu of pub style food. Tonight the offered a "smoked bbq plate" and bbq ribs as the specials. It was a crappy day here with rain and fog so to give a little support we ordered a couple dinners Seems odd for a guy that runs his smoker 2-3 times a week to order bbq right?

Get this: a plate incl. a full half chicken, half smoked sausage, pulled pork, 1/4 rack of ribs, mac and cheese, and cole slaw for $20! And it was all terrific. Last Thurs. they had a bacon wrapped bbq’d meatloaf with sides for $11!

The point is, take a look at what your favorite local spots are offering and lend some support. You may be pleasantly rewarded just like we were last week and tonight. The folks need the support.

Uber eats and skip the dishes are here twice a day it seems.
    I wish there was a pub that made good grub in the area I could support.

Comment

A new "wood fired" restaurant opened near us the Friday before our governor shut everything down - only carry out at restaurants. Anyway, we ordered two meals the other day and it was still good after the 15 min ride home. I am looking forward to going there when we can eat in.

Comment

I’ve been getting take out or delivery way more than normal. Probably averaging 3 nights a week. Gotta support the local restaurants!

Comment

We have a seafood market here that has a fishing boat on the gulf coast of Alabama, and brings a refrigerated box truck up 2X per week. Way better than any grocery store seafood, and I try to hit them up every week.

Comment

My family and I have been getting takeout once a week for the past couple months. The kids usually clamor for McDonalds or Wendy's but my wife and I have been getting food from some local places.

I tried two new bbq places and they were both pretty bad. One had some OK ribs but horribly undercooked brisket and their beans tasted like a combo of canned chili and a jar of ragu. The other touted their "Texas style" barbecue but the brisket was shredded and doused in sauce.

We also tried a couple Asian/teriyaki restaurants we had never tried and they weren't that good either.

But there are dozens of good local restaurants I like so we are going to stop trying new places and stick with what we know.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Quality is a huge problem.
              I don't mind dropping a hundred bucks on good food to help out but like you say if they toss something together and pass it off as "the" best.
              Never again, then it makes you think twice about other places.

A wing stop just opened lat week by me. Never had them and always wanted to. I know it’s a big company.

we have our locals we support.

More of this please. This onesey twoseys meals are so important for the business.

(is wing stop any good??)

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              never been a fan of WingStop (at least from 4+ locations across 3 states that I've tried), but they are heads above East Coast Wings, that place is terrible! FWIW we like our wings crispy. WingStop had soggy anemic wings at every location, ECW prides itself on oversized wings, problem is I've yet to have an order where at least 1 wing wasn't undercooked. Sad thing is I really like some of the sauce flavors both franchises have to offer. Maybe on the far west coast your franchise will be better

I spend a lot of time in Savannah GA every year for work. We heard from a friend there that the town is deserted. Like something from Twilite Zone. I frequent a few places so often they think I'm a local. Unfortunetly these places just had to close as absolutely no customers. It seems some have set up GoFundMe for out of work staff. Just another way to help out if you're so inclined.

Comment

I have tried both Wing Stop and East Coast Wings during my various travels when I was still working. Neither impressed me. Here in WI we have a very large local pub scene. Huge actually. Most serve top notch wings. In fact my local go to pub 1.1 miles away does "wing weekends" every Fri and Sat with 55 cent jumbo wings in a choice of around 20 different sauces. I often do them myself in the smoker but when I am feeling lazy or unprepared, that’s the spot.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow. Sounds amazing!!

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                I too find that my favorite wings tend to come from pubs or bowling alleys! I do like BWW's though, not the best wings but above average and usually consistent (a few franchises have different cook times as standard, but I don't think they are supposed to do that)

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here