Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how restaurants hold and finish ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how restaurants hold and finish ribs?

My wife and I received a gift card for Montana’s, so we went there for supper tonight.

I had sorta planned to do ribs tomorrow, but the weather is not going to cooperate, so I figured I could get my rib fix at the restaurant.

I was disappointed. As far as taste goes, they were good, but the meat was overcooked and kinda dry.

I know a restaurant is never going to be as good as ribs right off the pit, and your ribs are made the way YOU want them. I don’t consider myself a pit master by any stretch, but I think I do ok.

To be honest though, I wouldn’t have served those, and would have apologized and ordered pizza.

Anyone know how restaurants hold and finish their ribs? Tonight made me curious.

If Montana's is like most major chains the meats are produced off site, delivered and reheated for serving.
    We have a Montana's around the corner, I'd love to go try they're new brisket sandwich but I'm sure they are not cooking over an onsite pit much like the ribs you tried.
    Disclaimer: This is only a theory, one which I am going to investigate next week.

Comment

Places that smoke in site usually have 145° holding pit

Comment

HouseHomey Although the restaurant he works at doesn’t serve ribs, as far as I know, he does in fact work at a restaurant and might have more insight into this subject.

Comment

I still laugh thinking about a member here, who ate at a BBQ joint and bit through something crunchy in the ribs only to find out it was the bone.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Calcium supplement?

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s some serious funny right there.

I don’t know about the standard restaurant style, but I hold the wibs in two hands & then eat the meat to finish em off.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            (insert applause sound now) 👏👏👏👏👏

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang it - you beat me to it.....

As usual when it comes to BBQ I’m clueless. Thanks Steve. Ya’ll realize i live in HB right? The BBQ capitol of ...errr.. nothing.

Im with tweeter above.

On my menu is a BBQ selection and I cook the ribs, hold in the 140 and finish in the Combi with sauce.

as usual hold with caution. Long holds will over cook decently cooked ribs and ruin good ones. Also they can get hella salty as evaporation hits.

Luckily these parts fall off the bone is ideal but it’s hell on plating and display.

brisket, rib roast and short ribs, that the money meat for the hold.

The hidden treasures though is the corn on the bottom of the service vessel sitting in all the butter, salt and season.
          Steve B thanks again.

Comment

Another thing I think some places may do is leave their ribs a little short of done figuring they will finish while being held. Works great until they get busy and the ribs come out before they finish. But I have zero idea. Maybe PaulstheRibList can enlighten us.

Comment

Those of us doing the restaurant tours in Memphis at the Meat-Up likely will be able to get this info from more than one operation.

Comment

I don't know about Montana's, but if its a chain like Chili's, I am betting the ribs come precooked out of a bag in the freezer, and they are just heating them up and saucing them. I don't think many, if any, of these general fare type chain restaurants are actually smoking anything. I always trend towards burgers, fish tacos, and such when at these chain restaurants, and stay away from their so-called BBQ.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                  I don't know about Montana's, but if its a chain like Chili's,
                  Your comment made me look up Montana’s, and I didn’t realize it’s only in Canada! They have 105 restaurants in all of the Canadian provinces.

Here’s the Wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana%27s_BBQ_%26_Bar

Comment

• Argoboy
                    Argoboy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know that a lot of them have closed as well. The one locally has opened and closed twice. I never order bbq when I go out to eat as I know I will be disappointed.

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would be disappointed to, especially if they let them get short, then let them out when they get busy,

Cannot order or eat BBQ out. just can't. always disappointing. You make better at home.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm lucky to have an exception to the rule in our area: http://www.tstbbq.com/

The beef burnt ends are very, very good! Sides could be more varied.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here