Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about Mission BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about Mission BBQ

We have one opening on Friday.

There is a Smokey Bones nearby; it’s not terrible because it’s well run by a guy who likes BBQ. We had a Dickie’s that was okay, but not great.

My experience is that the quality of a franchise location depends more on the people running them than it does on the name on the sign; Nevertheless, I’d like to know what the baseline is for a place like this: is it closer to Famous Dave’s, or to Dinosaur?

We have one about 30 minutes from us. I will not make a special trip to go but if we are up there doing something else its an option for lunch or dinner. Not sure about the other two you are comparing it to so I can not help you there.

Another reason this is always an option for lunch and dinner is what they do for the community and for the people that protect and serve our country.

Comment

We have one close by. Went opening day. Wasn't impressed. Haven't gone back. Big truck out front with cooker on back belching smoke but not doing the cooking.???

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly my experience as well.

I have been and also was not impressed. However, I have several friends that love it. They do have prime rib as a special, but I didn't see that until we were eating. If I go back, it will be to try the prime rib...

There are four restaurants being built near me, and Mission is one of them. I am not planning to go for Q. However I am interested in trying the BurgerIM being built in the same strip. It's an Israeli based burger chain...

Comment

There are quite a few around my area. Mostly good. I am not former military, but one of the things that does impress me, is that every day, at noon, they require the patrons that can stand, to stand, as the National Anthem is played. Former / active military and first responders get discounts. Of all the BBQ I've had (excluding my own), I'd give them a solid 7.5/10. The one closest to me said they did burnt ends... it was _not_ burnt ends as much as it was just cubed brisket, rolled in sauce and re-heated.

Comment

We have two in two, soon to be three, in the Richmond, Va area. They are by far better than average in my opinion.

One thing I do know is that they are no franchises, they are all company owned and they do support the Military and first responders. At noon every day they stop and play the Star Spangled Banner.

The one where I paid attention to the smokers was done on several Southern Pride smokers.

Comment

We have one near us, and my son and I went when it first opened. While I like the military ties, I wasn't that impressed with the Q. Haven't been back after that one time.

Comment

We had a decent BBQ joint in town but it closed up a few months ago, shame. We have a Dickie's here also. Dickie's and Denny's have a couple of things in common.....1 they both begin with a D and 2 You don't go to either, you may end up there but you don't go there. IMHO (last time about 5 years ago at least)
              Last edited by ofelles; November 20, 2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                We have a Dickies around the corner in Fountan valley I’ve always wondered about.

I 100% agree that it depends more on who is running the smoker (and the rest of the store) than the name on the door. The Dickey's in Papillion, NE (outside of Omaha) wasn't that great the 1 time I went. The Dickey's in central Tucson was decent for a chain (not to mention BBQ options in Tucson are slim) but the Dickey's in Riverview FL had some of the best BBQ I've had at a restaurant. Interestingly enough, the one in central Tucson cut ties with Dickey's and opened under their own name. It was the same Q flavor, just a different name. I had Mission BBQ cater my promotion party and it was pretty darn good...they even brought the truck to the house! Give it a shot and let us know how it is.

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Will do. Not sure when, though, because this is holiday season and time gets tight. But neither them nor me are going anywhere.

We have one in Orlando. I've been very hesitant to visit it because it's located next to the airport, and nothing, I repeat nothing near the airport is worth visiting. I figured it was just FauxBQ designed for people who don't know any better and most likely won't be coming back anyway.

Comment

I think it's okay. Friends tell me it's great but they don't have smokers so......

Comment

Update.

About a month ago at work we ordered lunch from Mission.

I’ve always said you can’t screw up pulled pork. I was wrong. You can make it dry and bland, like the pulled pork I got from Mission BBQ. No amount of the various sauces provided could redeem my terrible sandwich.

The beans were okay.

The macaroni and cheese was really great. But that was small consolation for a major disappointment.

I still think that one location doesn’t speak for another. This review is only good for 18702. YMMV.

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Last year we went to a Mission in an area we don't frequent and were disappointed. One opened up near us several moths ago, (talk about bad timing!), but we have not been. However, a friend told us the new one is much better than the old one, so we will eventually try it.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here