Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applebee's "BURNING WOOD"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applebee's "BURNING WOOD"

I am guessing most of you know of the Applebee's restaurant chain, I just read they are/have switched to cooking with wood instead of gas. First post attaching a link, Not sure if it will come out.

Interesting...
    Not enough to make me want to run out to one...but I may be less likely to drag my feet when meeting others.

Comment

Applebees is pretty good here and we go at least once a month with friends, This will be interesting as the only steak I tried in the past was ruined otherwise the food has been fine.

Comment

I haven't been in an Applebee's since grad school and that's over 20 years ago. I don't see any need to go back.

Comment

I think it'll be the classic case of "it's the cook, not the cooker"

Comment

I'm not saying this because I think I'm special or anything, but i never eat at chains. Most of the restaurants where i live are locally owned and they're good. McDonalds and KFC went out of business in my town and the mom and pops have always done well.This isn't some farm to table thing, it's always been like this here.

That said, I used to travel heavy for work and in some towns Applebees is the best dining option. I don't think the food is bad and I recall Jamie Oliver creating a menu for Applebees that wasn't too bad.
            Last edited by Don Jr; May 16, 2016, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I worked at an Applebee's in college. They made a lot of stuff from scratch. I might eat there once a year.

Comment

It's been awhile since we've been to Applebee's. Maybe it's time for another visit.

Comment

To be blunt: I don't believe it.

Comment

I didn't know wood fired microwaves even existed!!

Comment

No, but commercial pellet smokers do exist. They make it pretty easy to turn out better than passable smoked foods.

Comment

Ahhhh, Applebees. Try, try as you will, you'll always be Applebees.

Comment

• billg71
                          billg71 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          We call them Crapplebee's around here. Although if I can find one in the area with the wood setup I'll give it a try.

Applebee's, Texas Roadhouse, Smokey Bones, Red Lobster, they're all just okay to people who know how food should really taste. Sadly we're in the minority, the masses think they're eating authentic bbq, seafood, whatever.

Just last weekend my in-laws insisted that we join them at the local Texas Roadhouse. Believe me, I'm not putting myself on a pedestal but they raved about about how fantastic their t-bones tasted and that it was a rare treat to eat something so delicious. Meanwhile my wife and I thought our ribeyes were just passable.

As we left I told my Father-in-law to stop by any weekend to see what a true grilled steak should taste like. He looked at me like I was a dick so I doubt it's going to happen.

Comment

Ooooh, Red Lobster, give me all the shrimp I can eat, save the coconut stuff for someone else. Think it's been 15 years since I've been in the Red.

Comment

I opened two restaurants(among the 11 or so openings I've been privileged to be a part of) back in the 90's that used wood fired broilers, and one place that used wood fired ovens. As others have said, and I agree; is that it's the cook, not the gear. These places were chains too, which is most of the problem. The problem is letting the bean counters dictate the food you serve. Corporate mentality and restauranteuring can only mix when the employees passion is allowed to be prominent in the mix of services. There are exceptions, of course, but Applebees is not one of them.

Comment

• JDenver
                              JDenver commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Well said.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here