Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The top barbecue joint in California and every other state, according to Yelp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The top barbecue joint in California and every other state, according to Yelp

I have not heard of the BBQ restaurant mentioned as California's top BBQ joint, according to Yelp.

Hmmmm. Don't now about their picks for Texas or Tennessee... and never been to the one they list in Alabama - its only been around since 2009 apparently.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White looked at the menus for each Saw's location, and apparently only one location has pork ribs, and no location does brisket? I can see the brisket not being there, as that is not a traditional element of Alabama/Southern BBQ, as much as pulled pork and chicken, but kinda surprised only one location offers ribs...

That said, I would be very hard pressed to spend $36 on a rack of pork ribs, or $18 for a half rack.

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris Yes, I almost mentioned that each location is different. They tend to do more nontraditional stuff than most places, but it's really good. Pricey, yes, but most places are these days.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Alright you two, settle down!

Calhoun’s is a family owned restaurant in Murrieta, CA. It gained some unwanted fame as the family that owns it had one of their own, Daniel, a Riverside County deputy, slain in a somewhat ambush style killing this year. I’ve never been or heard of it before, so cannot comment on the food, but it is very well liked by locals.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Is the one you're speaking of a chain? I've been to a Calhoun's in TN and loved that place. It was less a classic BBQ joint and more a big bustling family steakhouse/bbq joint, but their BBQ was great. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I don't know that I'd consider Big Mike's the best in NC, but I have enjoyed their food truck. I'm in Texas enough to know that you can argue for infinity about the best there. In general I don't trust Yelp reviews very far...

Comment

la Barbeque, their Texas pick, is very good from what I’ve heard and is on the Texas Monthly top 50 list from 2017 and 2021. As Dan Deter mentioned, yeah, you can argue about the best in Texas all day……but I’m not sure they’re worthy of #1 though. I’m also not a big fan of Yelp top..whatever..lists. You can get an idea about a particular restaurant’s quality of food, but they’re far from the last word on who’s best.
      Last edited by Panhead John; March 23, 2023, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree about not being a big fan of Yelp.
        As far as the list goes, like you say its an opinion, one mans poison is another mans medicine.

• TxF
        TxF commented
        Editing a comment
        After the last TX Monhthly list, I’m thinking you may have to spend a little to rank where you want. Some standards fell pretty far and some new places ranked very high.

I think it is hard to pick the best in each state so a tough list to compose. La barbecue is in the discussion for top 10 but not sure the best. Ga and sc got it right. Not sure about al and not having big bob gibson's as #1. Hard to be lieve that smokey dee's isnt the best in iowa and i have been to council bluffs many times with no one mentioning bbq.

Comment

Yelp sucks but their #1 Oregon pick is my favorite BBQ joint in town. Here's their ordering system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	-S5dbHLJEEdHj6vGnmvB-xs-zgYcEhy4qBE4Q1GfoPvtKXO5vn8lEexFzjPHH8xR9UybUWPCSE88IZOsRaqR3nrkTIyQ2YETCVJTOiSgSqdfzKfH1CGxb-Uj8jkf5Cu9HrerhaBy4EfHcojZGNxm1CmeFoVhWB18KYQtEfGieWM7ht3mHoAP8KVJwS621E1yTvHJC9C6r8AQOYfRj_TYNBCNYEyeDJCWs2UgOrPyY8_ReHQSOS2nolGC2J4o9q9
Views:	208
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1395715

Guy Fieri approved.

Name:	IwsXNfCzcWO-TEXbWAGPBmwxTA1vVM4FhWluTc6uXPtlRjNagR1RvFmzK7cRL4kQecwwVUthCYBwiMrDmPPWBvnXjgRIgpN6L9dcs1j5uvjl664myfjFZmHPEbNtMi6SddsyD8Nrb4LrYNDOmCpp8KPXtUaUpic5Ew5zkAe_O9noTHsWSsFK2-42XcbGha3vE2_1L9dGyMcG2Q9T86jgcS-9SIJAMXs5DjrogmjsChUb9ye_e9P0NuOJvQWyRvK
Views:	211
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	1395716

Dog friendly.

Name:	zR50mUqTjnlvXwPiOVa6akdT2xKbpf-3vf-D3qfYdtmtyFGmvZN9gzbxi_oYPajiJdJCXcTZv1m42ruvWvSQcm6yXNLoLt2KMk_z9RJDqFgo7KMcG15cRbkt1tA8eyCHwYnUkrnnUE_WvIAqxahsDuiF9muHi_q9OEYKcQxQxu997cL7NTYvSynlmsg5VbNYQQqDqRKb7_1p-GdmuV6koyV-Iy12XYewNmboimyZVcWbEydUYI5sdCpueenZ4_O
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	1395717

Good beer.

Name:	5ouWWtITGqmLl9DS1Sz_Fyene29kLfJ6pOr8h7aFpCz74qGUxmE4y-zHgROAX1b-lWCysBkmsRNfHAit690nA796wZSxwGhcl3HhR_W0iZDti4154gycq_Bhez8DTk2IoYLDORT-p4HaJVZTcbsdO7cIZYjkkB90wFKCgepQRCCRdzwBa1vX5vCOuuYep4jwVnwKORWFiclTmREvzCr8rLip8ptD6YM7ADI2dx_ten7qoLJSIDua-OOcck5K1br
Views:	211
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1395723

Name:	KmihFlgEH591kO9jG5Gn4gY647SmSGVYpZFNC7XIxDs2fSqexUOinTkurLrnIAElsV9XKYsFbhrUsVaTLvI_Hp_-_jmfBAD6JNeqpzCEYsT3BHOJy0JZwqFeRbgGHWnZdhbYmegPOQmzdvOLeZifZElPL0fGIpiCtUGv4wfvGbnpFsCErU7PIMRxPPqhffTFy_IZdSo_OXx-srd8TWKw-0yiIckVKL6cNH5SEehOyZiBgyqDd7G7jmE37KF1alS
Views:	207
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1395724

Name:	GRzUFVjCNMi9LgnlzCwcJSFTOlJRTd2x2JCc68Ap_R8xxbEFL4R-ciwXMfkzMEJBiRZdaaMKGfC5raZe2bh2Il-Tu2PDljBGGAJFeFfWBtzzYdYyvO_hV6MHJiTI_BKPSdS8tC_MpIyELe7JJ8Osh0Zu8Jg9yoqx4DM-OO3kVkSZnV4gipblox-zC7QPeOA1EBgUUrcrhvVS92KaMZq7tP1byPWiVgof7xDTWlwhvzIHmguYbJ_JVkQm2Jr8May
Views:	209
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1395725

Good BBQ.

Name:	tKpkjh7oaBuE5g3YoC4XNNjds2d8ET-bpCibiwvf9Y8xHKzBlGU0PMgx6eFBm7ELrMyUhBKDgvdk5-SeQBh9CDhMpcOOobNfc0cHOov422PSqBOX5pSBu0Bc0lqbQwLqefR2gB0H0UmEv1RpBmDYx5Z-YYOFndiqsgzstf29YudW7XDe9dh2gXWEFobidZskPYjvLWaw47Ya8yevPlMawh_cgfPZT-GY7b4hFyR3igtgWZZ6u8tOarVsja44C8d
Views:	204
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1395720

Name:	9RHLay-EbKDfD58iaXNTmWxOU9fF6LrmWG74NapGw7tVxqjoSB7RApcTyYFq0TZRAoEJ7AyofSH3TNATaE24fkmlKBx690cTVx5l2uOMK1GCHCqXcf_iYwIPjui573JD14vdZdNawrDuqXGIUom2FS47KA-k5MFmUbNP-ER9E9h-QFhp4dZAZiRj6oKDG8_NWb8CY24xBMmYKqH-fzPzXXLvRylDwQD5OPbjlErjkEbMTKY2SURdhdWxM2ofQaa
Views:	209
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1395719

Name:	Vjv8Vb18jZjoJerLKE1VDLDvSVrxJqFs7sr7ZaY_XZgU1UMouVANDJ9515-C3-PmjWzeLOqYm88HoO4PzVlY622sLvGsCpnu47ev7SfBpQHP6WVCwTHFiSAGPvqOzBfPDuTH30GQ3SfPBtTan9BdarFyLWu7PsyySCCGbcUDoJ2FCguUVla6HUOtNx_qBlqxVxRbkPCaZL7mjMKfUMVDgtLvGoVyRdzh3ufVB_taJN7eNXE12mmIqE2dOW6BdSS
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1395718

And in case they're sold out as is often the case, there are other options.

Name:	Ca3UozSUBuGUwUhmL-ypMkafo1zi--Il5HZLXAugK1xeRhvjH8vYIJ5i-3NdCAbsxNglYCOJuKaa3UQOJ2Xn2kMIsugy9c7b9NCZJnUEKC0460DwyyCUOTEPS7qw6hhW6IAUWKxaS-2HHNQLQ0j6wMILR9srJbRQH4pnhDqWEhKwWTpgaR9NfG83mgiYVMNpx436ZXQUpm17uM5Y8t4LC49Jnd3_dLOXpofdUI2eTcZcHPZnGudzY9RDikCg_l3
Views:	200
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1395721

Name:	MjNf5YOGMNNkcv4V5gVP9QcXJgQ7OzeuGAe5xzasfOP97LJB07_SvfzzeGWiflC0kx60VoIru_xF5M4gOvegX688Hd_SDK9-rJg3s6g4FD7CzfxK-jwYZAzNsfmqoZuYjwtUZ_S_JL58Mvjhyn2nLgNBJ6j-l1y9wuOMykocZcIUh2N3qScArnNkdFLD-atWLfmgGzXe5yhvtjnDw6Q7-MNvCJ533n6C20UAZk-fXKWjrmhp3csO_tV3hd6lBB6
Views:	205
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1395722

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          well, if they're Q ain't up to snuff I'm in for the beer

I've eaten at Fat Rack in Cody, WY and it didn't suck. The sausages were the best. They also had a great salad bar, which was a treat for a California boy where those were outlawed. Great service, too.

Side note: As you're driving into Cody from the west there's a billboard that says "Don't California Our Cody", and from the south it says "Don't Colorado Our Cody". My kind of town and there is a lot to see and do there including the amazing Buffalo Bill Center of the West and a daily rodeo. One other thing, most folks cruise through town going LESS than the speed limit (weirdos).
        Last edited by CaptainMike; March 23, 2023, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol...no comment

The Smoke Shack in Milwaukee is pretty good. Been quite a while since I was there though. But I will also say that MKE is not really known as a bbq town in anybody’s mind. 🤣🤷‍♂️

Comment

Definitely wouldn't place Q Barbeque as the best in Virginia. I haven't been to either location in while so there is a chance that it has improved but there is some above the top BBQ elsewhere in Virginia...

Comment

They got Ohio wrong. The best is in my back yard. 😝

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              We’re comin!

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              My friend went to your back yard for BBQ. Said it was just ok, but the host was great

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              FireMan and I might just head on down. Always up to try the best in OH.

Big Hoffa's in Westfield, IN is a legit BBQ place, with a Southern Pride Gas smoker with wood assist. They offer a full BBQ menu with sides that are very edible. But they are not the best at specialty BBQ in IN. There's a brewery in the same town that puts out some damn good brisket. I think Hoffa's might the BEST BBQ restaurant in Indiana, but there are other places with specialized bbq that kicks ass.

Comment

I keep waiting for some best BBQ list to not put Little Miss BBQ on their list for Arizona. Hasn’t happened yet…

Comment

• Jim White
                Jim White commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you not like it? I have a good friend in Phoenix who loves it and brags on it all the time.

• synodog
                synodog commented
                Editing a comment
                Jim White I Love it, but these lists sometimes want to be edgy or controversial with their picks so I like to see if this time they shun the obvious to stir up discussion.

Wait'll they do they best BBQ in Canada....that'll be the joke of the year with some of the absolute garbage they try to pass off as BBQ here!!!!
              ssandy_561 nailed it, in my case the best BBQ around here is in MY backyard.
              That being said Memphis Fire in Winona and Cherry St BBQ in the Portlands would give me a pretty good run for my money.
              Big Bone in Whitby ain't bad but they don't do brisket but they're pulled pork is well worth it.

Comment

I've sampled about half of the BBQ spots in San Diego County and have yet to find one that tops Smokin' J's right here in Poway. Their brisket is top notch

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here