Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Food Network, every state’s best barbecue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Food Network, every state’s best barbecue

Every state’s best barbecue in their opinion: https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaura...urants-america

The Colorado best is the Rib House at Prospect, which shows to be permanently closed... Two years ago.. I knew their wasn't any good BBQ in Colorado

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      That is funny.

Road trip!! 😊

Comment

This is a lot better list than the one from Trip Advisor…..[America’s top bbq cities] This one listed Franklin’s BBQ in Austin, which could arguably be the correct choice for a lot of Texans.

Comment

The Virginia entry closed at the end of September 2022. I wonder when this slideshow was put together. I clicked on some of the links in the slideshow and some of them have comments going back years.

Comment

I’m a bit perplexed that the photo from the Skylight Inn in NC shows toasted bread on the plate instead of corn meal hush puppies. Maybe that’s the way they’ve always done it but most bbq joints I’ve visited in eastern NC serve hush puppies, corn bread or corn sticks.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, FN say's they've been open for 200 years so they must be doing something right.

• Washblue
            Washblue commented
            Editing a comment
            There should be cornbread, hush puppy and cole slaw ratings…

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Bkhuna That’s really sketchy. The Skylight Inn website says they opened in 1947, a 124 year difference. Beware of FN recipes and their ingredient measurements.

I've been to the one in IL. It was top notch, great BBQ

Comment

Originally posted by tstalafuse View Post
            . I knew their wasn't any good BBQ in Colorado
            hrm, aren't YOU in Colorado?

Comment

• tstalafuse
              tstalafuse commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, mine is a closely guarded secret that not even I know about it..

Interesting that in some states they don't even mention what town the joint is in.

Comment

These lists always crack me up. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and an article on any topic is only as accurate as the one(s) who wrote it, and what impresses them personally or the sources they used. On that note here's my rant about my state's choice...

Michigan's best BBQ is not Blue Tractor in Traverse City. There are several far better places that I can attest to.

Wife & I love Traverse City and regularly go there. We ate at Blue Tractor this past April. Nice atmosphere, large, tons of seating, country saloon-y type vibe, festive, TVs all over, smelled like wood smoke like it should've. Buuut, the only great thing was the wings. The brisket was dry (and I ordered "fatty"), slightly tough, saltless, and cut wrong making it even harder to eat. The drinks were the watered-down overly sweet nonsense you may have seen me complain about in other threads, and it wasn't cheap to boot. This was of course on the heels of the pandemic shutdown bounce-back and many wage workers being tempted with the whole 'getting paid more to stay home and not work' that so many restaurants and other places were suffering from, so I remember we chalked it up to them perhaps doing the best they could with the help they had. Maybe that's what it was. We'd heard great things which is why we went, but it was anything but. I will never go back, too many better options, even in the same city.

The next night we got takeout from another nearby BBQ placed in Traverse City called Spark's BBQ, and it was wonderful. Brisket was perfectly seasoned and fatty and tender & juicy. Will definitely go back there. I've also eaten at Two Scotts BBQ in Grand Rapids and Slow's in Detroit, and Iron Pig in Gaylord. All of them were better. Then there's my backyard, but the pitmaster is a grouchy cuss and drinks on the job. Jury's still out if it's actually any good there or just loosely implied.

Comment

Nebraskas entry, while fine BBQ, is out of date and incorrect. Phat Jacks isn’t even the best in town let alone the state. You want the best , in my opinion, in Lincoln you are eating / buying at a gas station!

Norms on 48th Street owns this title in Lincoln. Can’t even begin to speak for the state as I have even heard of them all let alone eaten there.

Comment

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have been amazed at the lack of staying power BBQ joints have around here, especially being located only a couple of hours from KC.

• CHNeal
                  CHNeal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Craigar and the ones that do seem to last tend to be hot garbage. Proof I believe that Nebraska just doesn’t understand BBQ. They want a 2 inch thick steak and a 1 pound baked potato….not that I am opposed to that of course.

There isn’t a ton to choose from so if I ever see a best bbq in AZ that’s not Little Miss BBQ I know they’re probably wrong. They’re correct for AZ at least.

Comment

Looks like the closest BBQ to me is the Shed in Mississippi, 90 mile road trip!

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd kill for that quick of a trip to The Shed. Maybe not literally.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here