Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List: "The 57 American Barbecue Joints You Need to Visit Right Now"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn’t realize there were that many places in Illinois that would make this list. I’ve only had Smoque, which is in Chicago and it was years ago. I generally avoid BBQ places too because I’m usually disappointed. I was in a place in Michigan in April and found a place down the street from my hotel. Good….but not great.

Comment

I've only been to 1 on that list - Big Bob Gibson's here in Alabama. And you really do want to go there for the chicken, since that's their big claim to fame with the Alabama white sauce they invented.

I am not a huge fan of going out for BBQ, since I make it so much at home. I would rather get Mexican, MAYBE steak or a burger, Chinese/Japanese, etc. My wife loves Dreamland BBQ however, mostly because she LOVES their bbq sauce, like in a huge way. Lately she has been on an anti-pork kick, not wanting to eat the pulled pork I have vacuum packed in the freezer, but I can guarantee that if I break out a bottle of Dreamland sauce, she will partake.

That said, if I go back to Texas, I'll certainly be hitting up BBQ restaurants out there! And I'll hit them up in Memphis as well. I'm just not a fan of most of the local spots around here.

Comment

0/57 none in the Buffalo area....

Comment

Been to both the ones here in Phoenix (Honey Bear's and Little Miss BBQ). Not impressed with either. I won't say they were bad, just not worth the cost and I can do better. Caldwells County BBQ is better than both in my opinion.

Comment

Interesting list and was fun to look at. I never found great BBQ in Illinois when I was travelling there often on business moons ago. So I was surprised they made the list. The writer must live there. No knock intended for Illinois BTW.

I went to a famous BBQ joint in Alabama recently and was reminded why I don't typically go to BBQ joints. I take this training about once every two years!

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Which Alabama BBQ joint did you go to?

• Alphonse
              Alphonse commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris Dreamland in Mobile. I took a friend there for a late lunch. The ribs were undercooked and tough. The beans came out of a can. The slaw was okay. Wonder if the one in Tuscaloosa is bad these days?

BTW, I used to go to Big Bob Gibson' in Huntsville when up there on business travels. It was always packed and the chicken was a good choice.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Dreamland seems to be hit or miss with their locations. I think the original in Tuscaloosa is still good, but I make better ribs than the one here in Huntsville.

I like lists like this. I pay way less attention to the actual ranking. because how "good" a place can be is so subjective. However, it does give you insight into what places are getting buzz and what places are worth checking out when you are traveling to a certain area.

For me, BBQ has never been about "who makes the best". I just like the atmosphere and the ambiance in pretty much all BBQ places. It is fun to hangout in these places. I can make great BBQ at home, I go to BBQ places to check out the culture and usually hang out with like minded people.

Comment

Most of my sampling has been in the southeast and Texas, but I have only sampled two in the list. - The Shed and Snow’s
              Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 20, 2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Philadelphia does not have a history of good barbecue, but the number of BBQ restaurants seems to be growing. Fette Sau in Fishtown section of Philly made this list, and it is top notch. Sweet Lucy's Smokehouse is awesome for Hickory smoked BBQ.

Comment

On another list, Jethro's BBQ in Des Moines Iowa, and a few other locations in Iowa, is on a "Top 100" list, and they have won a number of awards. I took my wife there a few years ago. She was not impressed, and said she would rather have my cooking. I wasn't all that impressed either. OTOH, the Smoked Hereford in Storm Lake, Iowa will probably never make anyone's national top whatever list, but I'd go back there any day. The reality is that what somebody cooks for a competition, and what they cook every day for hundreds of people are not going to be the same thing. But the reputation sells.

Comment

I have been to 0 of them. I will remedy this, at some point. I would love to try bbq at this level and from the greats, no doubt Almost anxious to at some point.
                    Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 20, 2022, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I’m hoping to fit one on the list in this week if I can work it into the schedule.

Comment

True story.

I used to go to just about any bbq joint and think, "Wow!"

Now I go to just about any bbq joint and think, "Eh. It’s okay." Or sometimes, "How do they get away with this?"

A place had better be damn good.

Comment

Been to one. Smoque in Chicago. Going on vacation to beach in South Carolina in August so maybe I can visit Lewis or Rodney Scott in Charleston.

Comment

I've been to one on the list. The Shed in MS. Their chicken is the stuff dreams are made of. Their pork ribs and butt, were very good, but not on par with the chicken.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here