Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ recommendations off of I-95 in NC & SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ recommendations off of I-95 in NC & SC

Good morning. I live right outside Philadelphia and taking a road trip to Tampa. As a result we’re spending most of our time on I-95. On our way down we plan on stopping in Florence, SC for one night as it’s the halfway mark on our trip. So we’re looking for recommendations for BBQ spots close to Florence, and really any places that are right off of I-95 so that we don’t add much more time to our trip.

And if you happen to have any food recommendations in our around Tampa (doesn’t have to be BBQ related) that would be awesome.

Thank you in advance!

Bern's steakhouse, the Columbia in Ybor.

Hello, fellow South Jersey-ian!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Bern's is awesome. And expensive.

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the Columbia

I can't help you with BBQ along I-95, but there is plenty of good Cuban food around the Ybor City area of Tampa.

Comment

The wife says that the good bbq is off of i85, Not i95. Not sure if the detour is worth it for you.

Edit: she sent this, closer to 95.

Dukes Bar-B-Que +1 803-534-2916

Last edited by gboss; January 12, 2022, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Where off i85? We use this when heading to Lake Gaston. We get on 85 off of 95 and exit before South Hill. Oops, this is VA I'm talking about.
        Last edited by HawkerXP; January 12, 2022, 08:57 AM.

I don't envy you. Just did that trip after Christmas. With lots of flights cancelled expect long delays on 95 in SC. Hopefully it has calmed since the holidays.

Not too far off the the trail can put you in Charleston SC with lots of great options to eat and stay. It is only a bit further than Florence. I have had very good bbq at Rodney Scott's Whole Hog; https://www.rodneyscottsbbq.com and at Bessingers; https://www.bessingersbbq.com.

Comment

Well if you are going through the Gainesville Florida area there are a few Sonny’s BBQ scattered around. It doesn’t make the top 100 list but they have a dang good Baby Back Rib lunch plate with baked beans, fries, & Texas toast for about $12. I haven’t been there since the 70’s but I bet it’s still good! 😁

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never tried your 'cue, but I would bet my next paycheck that it's way better than Sonny's is now.

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Any member of the pit passing through is welcome to DM me a couple of days before and we'll figure something out.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Even me Jimbo?

Scott's BBQ in Hemingway, SC near Florence is a mecca for old school, whole hog SC style BBQ. It is a bucket list destination for a lot of enthusiasts. Rodney Scott has won a James Beard award and has been featured in numerous publications and documentaries. Great BBQ with a long history, do a little google searching, don't mix it up with the downtown Charleston location.

Check out this:

Comment

There's a Harbor Freight Outlet just outside of Florence that might be worth browsing through -- it's their distribution center, so could have some better pricing or selection than at your local HF location.

The Harbor Freight Tools store in Dillon (Store #120) is located at 117 Caldwell Rd, Dillon, SC 29536. Our store hours in Dillon are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, and from 9 a.m. to 6…

Jose can't recommend SOUTH OF THE BORDER at the NC/SC line enough. Whether it's worth a stop or not will be up to you and how much you trust the accuracy of Jose's advertising luring you in along the way.

In Tampa - we did not enjoy Columbia as much as we should have. May have been what we ordered, or the feeling like we were rushed in and rushed out. It is very very popular and has a following - just may not be a place we'll select again in the future. Don't let our opinion sway you from visiting, as others likely had better experiences.

Definitely hit Bern's Steakhouse, billed as having the world's largest wine cellar. They pride themselves on pricing bottles appropriately so everyone can enjoy them rather than the typical 400%+ markup that you'll find elsewhere.

And yeah - Scott's BBQ +1

Comment

Not too familiar with the interstate and those specific areas as I was merely a traveler there myself, but if you find yourself in the Charleston area, a can't miss is Lewis BBQ. Outstanding.

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              This. Its a little detour off I95 but oh my god is it good.

It's absolutely true that Bern's has the largest wine cellar in the world. It's been certified by Wine Spectator magazine. Their steak is phenomenal and they will give you a tour of their onsite wine cellar. You can also check their wine list ahead of time and if there is something stored offsite, you can order it ahead of time so that it is available when you come in for dinner.

There are about 10 rows of wine like this in the onsite wine cellar

Click image for larger version

Name:	Berns-Wine-Cellar - 2.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1158302

Name:	Berns-Wine-Cellar - 3.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1158303

Name:	Berns-Wine-Cellar - 1.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1158304

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow!

Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ has several locations close to I95 in North Carolina. The only BBQ my wife really likes better is what I cook. It is a chain but I have not had bad BBQ or fried chicken at one yet. If you don't go until close to closing time they could be out of BBQ.

Comment

I hope you're not planning on taking I-95 through SE Georgia or Florida. I-95 turns into a parking lot North of Jacksonville near the FLA/GA line and the odds are pretty good there will be many hours of stop and go delays between Jacksonville and Daytona.

I wouldn't attempt that route for all the prime brisket at Costco.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
                WillTravelForFood commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking at a map.... what about avoiding JAX and cutting over from Savannah through Waycross to Valdosta so you could pick up 75-South ???

The Google suggests going through Waycross and picking up 441 to link into I-75 (which cuts out the Valdosta piece, but same concept). Then again, that route will add an hour of drive time... but may save a bit in overall driving frustration.

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                WillTravelForFood - 441 is my preferred route when traveling from Central Florida up to GA and points beyond. It's a rural road. Nothing to see but the occasional old small town. Few tractor trailers. No masses of fast food though so plan you trips accordingly.

My wife and I live for finding little roadside BBQ places and diners. I suggest getting some good trip planner software that allows you to follow a route of your choosing and setting your own waypoints.

• WillTravelForFood
                WillTravelForFood commented
                Editing a comment
                Bkhuna - ah, remember the days of the AAA TripTik, (or keeping a road atlas in the back of the car, "just in case"?)

If it's snowing, and it's I-95, I'm bringing my own meat and pit.

Comment

Parkers BBQ in Wilson, NC just off I-95. Been there forever and it is the best..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here