Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best BBQ Joints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best BBQ Joints?

Thrillist sez here are "The 41 American Barbecue Joints You Need to Try Right Now". What do you say?
    Dig into the smokiest, juiciest, worth-braving-the-lines barbecue this nation has to offer.

Two that were mentioned are among my favorite (out of about 65 others). First one is Feges in Houston. I work in a high rise office park where they have an underground food court. I don't generally eat at food courts but everyone kept saying how good the bbq was down there. So I go try it and low and behold these guys are legit. Excellent brisket.

The other one is Blood Bros. in Houston (actually Bellaire an inner city suburb). The reason I like this place is it's run by some Asians (American born Vietnamese) who do fusion bbq by combining Asian flavors with Texas BBQ. Last time I was there I had a Banh Mi sandwich made out of pork belly burnt ends. Man it was good.

All I can say is, too many places, too little time....

Comment

Would be nice to try em all. Mebbee leave out the Californy stops & focus on Missouri, Texas, Tennessee, Alabama & Carolinas with a little stop in S. Illinois would then be able to let ya know a little better.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        There's fantastic Central CA BBQ happening from Paso Robles to upper Santa Barbara County to Santa Maria ..... can't leave that out

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        What ecowper said. I’ve had several meals in Santa Maria. But they were at either a small town fair or grills set up in parking lots. None of it disappointed!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely avoid the big, commercial stuff in Central CA

Well, I've been to four of these spots, and would happily go back to any of them, (except for the lines at Franklin and Snows). LA BBQ and ZZQ both have lines, but nowhere near as long as The other two.

We had a large group meet at ZZQ before the events of last year and everyone thought it was very good, but they said mine was better. I'm not so sure - I need to do a side by side to determine a winner.

Comment

We wanted to check Grady's out, it's only 20 minutes away... but ain't nothin out there so hard to tie it together with another trip. One of these days though...

I am glad they didn't name the local BBQ favorite, I've always found the place they didn't name to be way over rated... which is partially why it went out of business before being bought out and renewed. The other local BBQ favorite has been tried twice and twice went straight in the trash can, that bad!

Finally, If one of y'all wanted to make some big money and become famous though (well, if you survive the wrath of the Eastern NC locals), come open up a TX or KC style BBQ place here. Tons of transplants thanks to the base and most of 'em despise vinegar based bbq (I've grown to love it) and no one here serves anything but except Chili's.

Comment

Based solely on it's storefront and the owner's picture it's Jones Bar-B-Q Diner by a landslide.

Comment

I have been to the following: All were good and here’s what I liked best at each.

LEXINGTON BBQ in Lexington, NC - pulled pork
            THE SHED in Ocean Springs, MS - the chicken
            SNOW’S in Lexington, TX - the ribs
            SMITTY’S Lockhart, TX - the clod

I have been to some places that could compete with those on the list.
            Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 8, 2021, 05:27 PM.

Comment

This is a good list. I can tell you Payne’s on Memphis is the best sammich I’ve ever eaten, hands down. It’s obvious mama runs a tight ship cause the last time I was in there, 2016ish, those boys were stepping’ and fetch in’. Make sure to order a Coca-Cola, they pull the cans outta the really old freezer that hardly is able to freeze, just gives it enough slush to make you smile.

Comment

17th Street is some damn good BBQ but I don’t think you need me to tell you that.

I did find out that they sell autographed books on his website though which is cool.

Comment

• tmelosi
                  tmelosi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This post is coming at the most opportune time. We planned to hike the Little Grand Canyon trail which is only about 15 minutes from the one in Murphysboro. Can't wait to try it out.

I’ve been to the Little Miss BBQ here in Phoenix. The brisket and beef rib are amazing…

Comment

Haven’t been to any of ‘em, figure we’ll knock a few off this coming March.

Comment

I'd add Southside BBQ in Elgin, TX. I've always had great briskets there. They make potato salad the way I do, plus they have delicious desserts.

Comment

I feel like the worst fan of smoked meats ever now. I’ve never eaten at any of them even though I have previously lived reasonably close to several of them. While in Texas, both Killeen area and Houston area, I usually tried to find run down smokehouses in the middle of nowhere. Usually good Q, but I couldn’t even tell you the name of most of them. Someday, I’d love to try several of those places! Meanwhile, I’ll keep plugging along with my barely passable Q. Lol.

Comment

Thanks, Boss. Thanks also to the group that went to Brett's in Rockdale last weekend, my band of roving foodies will be checking it out very soon. It sounds like Truth BBQ in Brenham also has to go on our list of nearby day trip destinations.

Comment

I've been to Lewis BBQ in Charleston last February 2020, just before covid made the news. The brisket there is outstanding. Wasn't a Saturday so I couldn't do the giant beef rib. Ribs had something in the rub that I wasn't too awestruck by, but they were really good and of course cooked perfectly. I would go back there in a heartbeat if I'm in the area again.

Attempted to make Pappy's in St Louis week & half ago but they closed at 6 and we couldn't get there by then, so we went to a place that didn't make this list.

Lewis:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG3915 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	1042843Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG3918.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	1042844
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG3917.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	1042846Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG3916 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	1042845

Comment

• tmelosi
                            tmelosi commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm pretty close to Pappy's and will have to give it a try. Curious, where did you go in St Louis that didn't make the list?

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            tmelosi Smoking Barrels, south side of city (not too far from Salt + Smoke). I wrote it up here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ls-st-louis-mo

• tmelosi
                            tmelosi commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here