Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Map Shows The Most Popular BBQ Style In Each State. There’s a Controversial Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Map Shows The Most Popular BBQ Style In Each State. There’s a Controversial Winner

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210529-083808_Google News.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1037689

Fatherly: This Map Shows The Most Popular BBQ Style In Each State. There’s a Controversial Winner.
    According to a new map, out of the five most popular BBQ styles, there's one that can lay claim to the top style across the US.

I'm kind of shocked that WI is a vote for Texas style. People around here love everything (mostly pork) covered in KC style sauce.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      So,I tend to s ole TX style, but yes, I think other then my driveway being the bbq capital of the world (lol. Not really) people in Wisconsin tend to hide behind sauce, of many types including brandy.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Richard Chrz You just helped create a WI BBQ sub-genre! To illustrate the point, just last night I had WI style bbq which means a piece of meat with BBQ sauce was served with brandy. Now when you tell people you made some WI style bbq they’ll probably ask "Oh yah, that sounds great. What did ya have?", and you reply "I made my specialty, it was an old fashioned". This is usually followed up with inviting them in for one and then talking about which supper club makes the best old fashioned
      Last edited by Andrrr; May 30, 2021, 07:38 AM.

I grew up in Detroit, and all I ate as a youngun was Memphis style. Even at BBQ restaurants. I never even heard of Texas style until I moved out of Detroit. That was 40 years ago though, so maybe things have changed.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      63 is not old. Source... me. I turn 63 in June.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      65 on June 23. That’s not old at all. I spring out of bed each morning with moves like Simone Biles.

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John I have underwear older than you!

I turned 80 last month but don't feel more than 85 or so. That's why I am so cranky.

I don't think BBQ has changed much in styles, but there is just more of it, more media attention, and more BBQ enthusiasts. It was just as good in the '50s & '60s as it is now.
      Last edited by Clark; May 29, 2021, 04:56 PM.

Finally, a website using real data for their BBQ results. I’ve never heard of BBQ Revolt, but now I want to check them out. I was a little surprised by the most popular style, Texas, winning by such a big margin. I was not surprised though that Houston should lay claim to BBQ capital of the world. (I know they said in America, but that translates to the world IMO) I knew we had a lot of BBQ restaurants, but was unaware of the number. The majority of those restaurants probably rate as very good at minimum. I was surprised LA coming in 2nd. Didn’t realize BBQ was that popular there. Not surprised that brisket is the most popular though.
    Last edited by Panhead John; May 29, 2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Seems to me like KC style is what most people think is bbq. I prefer Texas style myself but it’s hard to believe most people even know what Texas style is.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        With all the cooking shows, YouTube videos and websites dedicated to BBQ, it doesn’t really surprise me. The last 5-10 years BBQ has really exploded in popularity. I also feel like Aaron Franklin did a lot to popularize Texas style cue. He’s not shy about sharing his techniques and methods with the world. And because his briskets are considered some of the best anywhere, a lot of people want to do it just like him. 275* and just salt and pepper.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Well from what I have seen in Aaron Franklin he leaves out his kept secret.
        Beef Tallow in the wrap. I will be ordering some Wagyu beef tallow from Amazon.com
        $30 for 2.6 lbs.

There’s something I like about every one of those bbq styles. The site also touches on which meat each style has as their signature. I can be in the mood for any of these styles, Texas for brisket or beef rib, Memphis for dry pork ribs, Carolina for the vinegary pulled pork, sometimes that mustardy South Carolina sauce on pulled pork hits the spot. I used to love thick sweet sauce in my younger years on bbq like KC style bbq and sometimes I need some nostalgia.

just don’t boil your ribs, "…or the terrorists win." - Meathead
      Last edited by synodog; May 29, 2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto. The style of BBQ I like best, is the one I’m eating at the time.

They are only looking at google search data. Which is different than what people "order to eat" or the meat they actually buy to make. Might be a correlation... There is no doubt that "Texas-style" is soaring in popularity.

I can tell you that no one complains if I make brisket. No one complains if I make pulled pork. However, everyone is happy when I make both! Actually now that I think about it that statistic is old. It has been at least a year since I could have enough people over to be able to make both. Never mind.

Comment

I rejoice in BBQ of all styles, an have a summat passin familiarity with em, one could safely say...

Reckon 95% th folks surveyed couldn't proper identify th 5 styles shown, if set in fronta them...

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Burgers and hot dogs probably equate to BBQing for most people.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack Yup. This is where we'uns come in, spreadin th Good Word, an knowledge...:Cool:

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Hail, if'n I was a bettin man, reckon 80+% of folks, nowadays, could't even identify th states on that there map...

Lets face it, most of these articles are trivial nonsense made to generate advertising revenue and nothing more. The author Devan is someone who specializes in parenting, lifestyle, and education articles. The so called data is based on Google searches. If I’m a local I already know where the best regional BBQ is located. Do I need to do a search? More likely I’m looking for something different than my usual normal style.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Please do not knock that article, I happen to agree with every one of the results…..so it’s gotta be true! 😂
          Last edited by Panhead John; May 29, 2021, 02:25 PM.

What I serve is Socarbamatexphis BBQ. And 2 years, 8 months and 4 days ago I beat em to the punch & declared West Fond du Lac (that west side to those in Ococonomowoc) as the BBBQ capital of America. (That’s Big BBQ to those in Waupon). Yessir, I did.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds to me like we has a Winner!!!

I'm thinking that maybe "looking at Google trends and Google search data" is not a very good way to find out what people in each state are actually cooking and eating. I don't know anyone who makes Texas style BBQ in Central California. And brisket is not a terribly common menu item at the BBQ joints in these parts. Not nearly as popular as tritip.

Comment

• Wedunne
          Wedunne commented
          Editing a comment
          Just to clarify, I'm not putting down Texas style BBQ. It's just that it's so rare around here that I don't think I've ever had real, authentic Texas style. It's on my to-do list to try making sometime though.

Oh, no wories, Wedunne Reckon I can safely assure ya that nobody thought ya was denigratin Texas BBQ, Brother...

Know how ya can tell? Go look out yer front window....

Do yer dooryard be lookin like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	frankenstein_villagers_big_think.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1037831

If not, yer Golden, sez I...

Comment

• Mark V
          Mark V commented
          Editing a comment
          I needed to see pitchforks in this picture.

The other issue with this kind of thing is that most places here that do real 'que don't limit themselves. The place near to me, Gabriel's Fire, is run by two guys from Texas. They do great brisket. But they also do goo pulled pork, ribs and chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
          Finally, a website using real data for their BBQ results. I’ve never heard of BBQ Revolt, but now I want to check them out. I was a little surprised by the most popular style, Texas, winning by such a big margin. I was not surprised though that Houston should lay claim to BBQ capital of the world. (I know they said in America, but that translates to the world IMO) I knew we had a lot of BBQ restaurants, but was unaware of the number. The majority of those restaurants probably rate as very good at minimum. I was surprised LA coming in 2nd. Didn’t realize BBQ was that popular there. Not surprised that brisket is the most popular though.
          Panhead John I live in Los Angeles, and if we're 2nd, I'm guessing they must be counting all BBQ, and not just the kind we're talking about. There's just not a ton of places out here to get brisket, ribs, pulled pork, etc. Now if they're including other types of BBQ like Chinese, Argentinian, and Korean BBQ, then I can see why we're 2nd place.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point. I wish there was a way to see their list of BBQ restaurant names.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            They’re counting ALL bbq, including bbq in a can?

Controversy in bbq!? I’m shocked, shocked I say!🙄🤣

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here