Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twin Cities Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twin Cities Q

Mainly for Spinaker and our other fellow MSP residents, but also for you visitors. Yeah, we know we don't have much, no need to rub it in.

Minnesota looks into the fire for our essential barbecue food.

Thank you for sharing! I have yet to try Storm King. I have heard good things. Dave Anderson's new restaurant is a sad attempt at great BBQ in a small setting. (As opposed to his Famous Dave's empire) I was really disappointed there. Service was terrible and the Que was average.
    Q Fanatic is dam good stuff. No two ways about it. They are running Southern Pride pits int he back. I like their food, but again the service was poor.

They left out Baker's Ribs in Eden Prairie. I love that place. The dudes are from Texas and they brought it with them. The inside is a true Texas BBQ joint. Hazy with smoke and aroma. There is more stuff on the walls than you can shake a stick at and an old cast iron bath tub full of ice, pop and beer. They have pretty damn good brisket, and really good ribs. Their dirty rice is outstanding not to mention the sausage.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven't been to Baker's since I quit working down in the Opus complex, but I used to love going there.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it is a great spot for lunch.

We are having them make us a bunch of sides for our work party this weekend. JCGrill

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn! Making me hungry. I'm sitting at work while the carpets are being cleaned. Err... I already turned off all my equipment. It's taco Wednesday at "Tacos Mexico" .85 cents tacos. guess what homey is doing on the way home? Whoohooo!!

Sounds like there's some pretty good stuff goin' on, up there in MSP area, to me...
    I admire that there's a growin' scene, an' th' way to guide that is to jus' not support th' ones ya' didn't like, support th' ones ya' did, an 'spread th' Word, either way...
    Now, everybody's tastes vary quite widely, but if/when queried by others, give them the benefit of y'alls experience...
    Some folks consider black hot dogs with fixins BBQ, some not...
    Some folks, like y'all, can enlighten, bein' Pit Members
    Best way is to feed 'em yers...
    Then, wait fer it...

Comment

Why did they slice the point with the grain in that pic? Much rather let the flat go with the grain since it varies left or right unlike the point.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Who knows. Maybe it was a new guy in the kitchen.

A few more to add to the list...Iron Tap in Waconia, ChuckWagon Charlie's Smokehouse and Saloon in Chanhassen, and Surley Brewering Company in Mpls. Tried them all and they are worthy. Next on our list is Bayport Barbeque in Bayport (near Stillwater).

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Try Smalley's in Stillwater. A bit unconventional, but awesome.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Chuck Wagon Charlie’s is pretty solid. I’ve been there a few times.

From here, it seems difficult to fathom that there ain't already, (or a blossomin' market fer) Spin's BBQ, all over th' region, already Smoke on, Brother!
      That bein' said, it sounds like th' right person could establish a toehold, in' that MSP , should that be their intention, or dream...
      I'm very interested to hear how this continues to develop.

Comment

JCGrill - I almost mentioned that here, but didn't feel it was a true BBQ joint. I love this place! Everytime we are heading to eat at Bayport BBQ, we end up driving a little further and eating at Smalley's. Their chicken wings are the best I've ever had! I'm trying to duplicate them at home with my KBQ. I've gotten awfully close!

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't get out to Stillwater often, but when we do we can't pass it up.

Well...... a couple friends and I went into the city for some Que tonight. And it was very good. Storm King is cranking out some Great Texas-Style BBQ. The restaurant is a small place but the post oak aroma when you walk in the door instantly hits you. The staff was great and knowledgeable. They were running J&R pits in the back that were absolute beasts.
        The brisket was excellent. Very reminiscent of the classic Central Texas Brisket. Salt and Pepper rub with tons of great post oak smoke. Tender and very juicy.
        The pork ribs were excellent as well. Very simple rub, these actually reminded me a lot of the ribs I had from Franklin's when I was in Austin, TX back in April. They had a little bit of tug on the bone, but it was easy to get a good, clean bite off the bone. Perfect, in my opinion.
        The Hot sausage was pretty good but nothing to write home about, but good enough to mention in The Pit. I was happy with it, just not blown away. I felt the same with the pulled pork as well. It was pretty good but not great. There was chicken on the plate too but my biddies ate that and loved it. (I am not a huge chicken fan.)

All in all, I would highly recommend Storm King for BBQ in the Twin Cities. In a part of the country where hot dish and lutefisk can show up on menus, this was a welcome homage to Central Texas Que.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Storm King Sandwich.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	407369​Click image for larger version  Name:	Storm King Plate.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	407370​Click image for larger version  Name:	Storm King Resturant.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	407371​Click image for larger version  Name:	Storm King Plate 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	407372​

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          I suppose that seals the deal, I'd better get over there.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't miss the brisket. It was mighty fine.

Spinaker , John I'm gassing up the car, see you there shortly. Ha-ha-ha!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          hahaha, I would love to you meet you there!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here