Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best "Chain Restaurant" ribs goes to......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best "Chain Restaurant" ribs goes to......

Ruby Tuesday!

I know what you're thinking- 'What?! You must be joking!' And normally I would never suggest a chain restaurant's ribs, especially a non-BBQ chain's ribs. But RT's are actually pretty good.

They're not smoked, they're nothing like a real BBQ guy would make, they're the usual oven baked & grilled ribs and they're covered in copious amounts of sticky sauce, but their sauce made them quite good. They weren't overly fall-apart, but were a tad overdone in that direction (to be expected of course).

Their menu items are better than they used to be years ago since they did an overhaul a couple years back. For non-smoked restaurant ribs, RT gets my "best in class" rating. Keep in mind when you criticize me, I said "best in class", so consider what "class" these are in before you throw tomatoes at me

Click image for larger version

Name:	rubytuesdayribs.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	28799

I have never had Rt's ribs but will try them when forced to eat out again. I like the riblets at Applebees, Famous Dave's ribs, Sonny's ribs, and sometimes Williamson Brothers ribs. But that is only if forced to eat out. With the help I have received here the best ribs are at home which I suspect most of you feel the same way.

Comment

Might have to try em, there is an RT right across the street from my work. I'm surprised you went there, our McDonald's sign says the McRib is back...

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol, time for one again!

I think this is going to vary from location to location. RTs in our area serve dried out hunks of charred meat covered with glop. On the other hand, the local Smokey Bones is genuinely good, and the manager is a real smokehead; I've talked with him, and he loves bbq. That's the way it is going to be with franchises.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        You're probably right. In Mt Pleasant, MI the RT is very good. Not that I eat out much but I've probably been there 5 or 6 times in the last two years and it's a good one. Probably depends on how much the cooks actually care or how much the management trains and stresses quality to the hired help.

We have a Smokey bones in Lansing, MI and I like their dry rub ribs. It's no home BBQ, but very good. I didn't realize they were a national chain or I'd have included them...

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
      I think this is going to vary from location to location. RTs in our area serve dried out hunks of charred meat covered with glop. On the other hand, the local Smokey Bones is genuinely good, and the manager is a real smokehead; I've talked with him, and he loves bbq. That's the way it is going to be with franchises.
      Well said Mosca. You are absolutely correct franchise restaurants are not real consistent from location to location.

Comment

We have City BBQ, Famous Dave's, and about every general eatery under the sun here but, I must say that I love hickory smoked ribs the best that I've made and that by the techniques learned here. Meat doesn't just fall off the bone but much of the enjoyment is cleaning that wonderful tasting pork off the bone. I don't get much smoke flavor from the restaurants.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You're absolutely right Ray. This in no way is saying best ribs, just best chain restaurant ribs from places in my area. NOTHING beats homemade BBQ from guys like us who put the TLC into it!

There's an RT by our house. I may give the new menu a try.

Comment

Tuffy Stone's Q Restaurant in Richmond have to be among the best I've tried.

Comment

Originally posted by CB Dabbs View Post
            Tuffy Stone's Q Restaurant in Richmond have to be among the best I've tried.
            I bet his are good, that probably goes without saying. Sadly there will probably never be one of them in MI.

Comment

• charchamp
              charchamp commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm thinking he needs a winter home and restaurant here in Phoenix.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
            There's an RT by our house. I may give the new menu a try.
            I haven't been disappointed by anything I've had at my local RT, and they have awesome coupons if you go online and sign up for their club. Lot's of BOGO entrees, $ off a certain purchase, and always a free burger on your birthday. Of the popular bar & grill family chains (Applebee's, Bennigan's, Chili's, etc) RT is my fav. Like brought up before though, this is probably VERY circumstantial. Yours may have a who-cares cook or two and not be very good. It's a gamble.

I ate at a Chili's last Saturday in Okemos, MI, a hop skip & a jump from MSU, and I must say I was impressed. I got the steak & shrimp fajitas. The steak was incredibly good, albeit sliced up and seasoned for fajitas. I kept wondering if the actual steak entree was this good, if so I should've ordered it, but there's no way to know. I opted for no steak since those places aren't known for a good steak usually. I think a lot of these palces are trying to up their game becasue of the dwindling crowds of eat-outers the last few years.

Comment

Ya... McRib is back here. We had a chance to get one on our recent week long trip to Wyoming... we went to Wendy's and got the pulled pork instead... not too bad. Any of ours is better, but for a fast food joint, I am impressed.

Comment

We had 'Famous Dave's' for the first time while in Flint. The location was on Miller Road near Genessee Valley Mall. Quite frankly, I was pleasantly surprised. I had a 2-meat platter with brisket, pulled pork, 2 sides and a cornbread muffin for $16. A skosh pricey for a chain but I'd go back.

Comment

Actually the Texas Roadhouse in N. Charleston, SC does some pretty tasty ribs.

All of the RTs in our area have gone downhill big time with all of the freaky menu and decor changes. They used to be the best spot for a burger; now we don't go there even if we have a BOGO coupon.

Agree with Mosca - depends on the local general manager. His Smokey Bones is good, the one here is mediocre at best - very poor service to boot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here