Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slows BBQ, Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slows BBQ, Detroit

Had the chance to make a second visit to Slows in Detroit, this time with my wife. This visit was even better.

Brisket - (7/10)

I ordered the brisket, all fatty (point). Deeelicous brisket. Not much of a "bark" per se, like most of us home Qers would expect, but it was there and had decent seasoning and salt level on most of it. I could tell some spots of the crust had less seasoning than others. I'm picturing a fast shake of the seasoning shaker by the workers not getting all areas of the brisket that I might get. This type of thing shows in the end product by some bites not being quite as well seasoned as others.

The only negative regarding the brisket was the serving size. I expected more. It was delicious enough I wanted more. The menu claims 1/2lb of meat ($13 for meat and two sides, $8.95 for meat only), but I'm suspicious of that. It was VERY good though. Smoke flavor was present and obvious but not overpowering. Tenderness was great. Slices were a little thicker, but that is common with point slices.

Baby Backs - (7/10)

My wife ordered the half slab of BBs. They were quite good. They advertise a 13-spice rub on them. Last time I had their ribs I got the St Louis and they left a lot to be desired. These BBS were much better. The seasoning was there, but mild. The smoke was very noticeable but again, not overpowering. The level of doneness was perfect, clean bite from the bone but not mush.

Sides

Mac & cheese - (8/10) - quite good, a little bit of a spiciness to it that I didn't expect, jalapeno perhaps, couldn't tell precisely. Comes in its own little oblong dish that's baked w/ melted real cheese on top. Shell pasta.

Pork & beans - (8/10) - generous amount of (pulled) pork inside the little dish of pork & beans. Great flavor, a little more tangy and vinegary than the standard thick sweet molassesy baked beans. I'd order it again.

Potato salad - (9/10) - VERY good! I was impressed. I think I'm a huge critic of potato salad, and for what I like this fit the bill. Sweet but not too sweet, tangy but not too tangy, some crisp crunchy veggies so it's not all pasty and sludgy, and nicely cooked potatoes. Needed a shake of salt (hence not rated 10/10), but since it's not on the tables I did w/o.

Spicy black beans - (1/10) - disappointing. I noticed no "spicy" to them at all. I am generally not a big fan of spicy, so therefore I'm pretty sensitive to it, but I noticed none. They were simply black beans in a little dish with black water. It looked as if they had been dumped from a can of black beans and served. Wife wasn't crazy about them either. Maybe the new guy made a mistake and that's what he accidentally served me, beans from a can w/ nothing else that was supposed to be there? Perhaps.

If you're in D-town, at Ford Field for a Lions game, in Grand Rapids, or as of next year in Pontiac, look up Slows BarBQ. The brisket is not as good as the best but it's mighty fine eating. Their menu is quite extensive, TONS of sandwiches and other fare which I haven't tried yet, 55 beers on tap I believe. Two bars in the Detroit location. Always busy. Worth a visit.

Huskee, Do you have to order 55 Beers Everytime? It might prove a bit Tedious for Me! , Dan

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You can split 'em up between each of the two bars

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Try and say PBR 55 times! πŸ˜€πŸΊπŸ»πŸΊπŸΊπŸΊπŸΊ

Nice review, I'll have yo try it sometime.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep the name in mind if you're ever in D-town. I believe Dave Parish liked their brisket too. It's in a iffy part of town, just couple blocks past the old Tiger Stadium site.

Apparently someone stole their catering/competition rig on wheels. The got the tralor back, but not the gear on top of it. https://www.wxyz.com/news/slows-bar-...ipment-removed
    Last edited by Meathead; November 22, 2020, 12:47 PM.

Comment

What a bummer getting their equipment taken. A buddy and I got a couple take out sandwiches from Slows maybe 10 years ago. They were great. Nice to know they're opening one in Pontiac. Thanks for the new review Huskee

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        The original review above is 5 yrs old so I'd imagine it's up & running, if you're in the area let us know!

Sure thing

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to go to Pontiac every year for the Silverdome, but alas, that ended several yrs ago, sadly.

Yah, just a memorie now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here