Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Real BBQ Deal in the U.P. -- B Dogs BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Real BBQ Deal in the U.P. -- B Dogs BBQ

In leaving my fishing experience with the Minnow Slayer & his gang, I was headin up to "the lake they call Gitchegoomi" (Lake Superior to those in Ococomowoc). Just a few miles west of Ishpeming over on the side of the road something catches my eye. It was a red trailer & a glimpse that muddled my brain sayin "bbq, brisket & chicken", huh? I was hungry & I couldn’t believe what it might have said, especially where I was, in the UP traveling a highway & on the side of the road. After a half mile I had to do a Ueeee & check it out. WOW! The real deal in spades!
    There was a line so, what caught my attention was the gang of smokers off to the side of the trailer. I started nosin around & a lady popped the door open & shouted "can I help you"? I replied that I was just in line & was almost as interested in her machinery as I was lunch. She said, "well give me a moment & I’ll give you a tour". She showed me 6 briskets in their dark barky glory & a handful of St. Louie’s smokin. She then gave me a taste of some brisket she just pulled off & I was sold. I knew what I was ordering for lunch. Just some delightful people, a mother daughter team with a friend. Her husband works a butcher shop in town (Ishpeming) & they will soon be in a "restaurant" setting adjoining the butcher shop after doing this for 4 years. I feel really bad I did not get their names. Pics are of the operation, my lunch, which was top shelf outstanding, & mother, daughter with "just a friend" in between. Click image for larger version

Name:	60417ADC-FA82-4903-A4BD-EFF25D5E00AA.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1048269Click image for larger version

Name:	832EC2CF-3EE1-4C7C-9C02-B4BC1F42E135.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1048266Click image for larger version

Name:	F88E370A-DB70-405E-9EDD-38F982399A13.jpeg
Views:	359
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1048270Click image for larger version

Name:	52C125B4-9CD0-4A46-A2CA-9FE8D59CB734.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1048268Click image for larger version

Name:	DFE6AAD2-65B1-4070-8F89-14115222E264.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1048264Click image for larger version

Name:	126052BF-03CD-4B65-9C31-3D0EDF493CF0.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1048265Click image for larger version

Name:	8313CF2A-1307-4EED-9E9C-B53B6A5E36C4.jpeg
Views:	371
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1048267

Beautiful - I'll be passing through there next month and definitely going to track them down! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      On Hwy 28 near Champion.

Great Cue is Great Cue, no matter th source...

Glad ya found a Great BBQ Experience, Brotherman!

Comment

And to think this place was only a few miles the opposite direction from my way home, thus the rest of us ate McD's.

Comment

Hook up that trailer and drag them home with you! We could really use some good BBQ in town.

Comment

Yep, we need us a "heart" button.

Comment

Portland Oregon was named the food cart of the world. It amazing the number of food carts with exceptionally good food and the price is right.

Comment

Keep Calm and Eat More BBQ!

Comment

That's what bbq is all about, good food, good people and a passion for what you do.

Comment

FireMan it looks like this is them - https://bdogsmarketplace.com/

Will definately give it a whirl next time i'm on the IP. was it a Texas, Memphis, Carolina flavor or would you consider it Yuper BBQ?

From the website:

"B Dogs BBQ is a local family owned and operated company who serves delicious smoked dishes from our BBQ trailer at the Michigamme Shores Campground in Champion, Mi.

"Having honed our recipes for more than 30 years, the owners Brian and Jean Vandevort are honored to serve their smoked pulled pork, chicken, beef brisket, and more, to the campers on-site as well as anyone willing to stop by off the highway.

"Originally they started out hosting BBQ parties in their garage, and since, they've expanded over the years starting this business with a passion to share great tasting food with the community."

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is so cool of what you did here!

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They had a white sauce that really caught my attention but I could barely finish the brisket sandwich. As it was I munched on the Cheese Fries the rest of the day.

• latenight71
                    latenight71 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They also appear to have the other general social media but I'm not in on any of that.

Looks like a great roadside stop to me. Unfortunate isn't it how they have all but disappeared.

Comment

HawkerXP they had been doin this fer 4 years &by the looks of what they were cookin, I saw 6 briskets & at least that many wacks of Wibs. Never did see how many birds they were cookin, but I got to expect they meant to sell it all.

Comment

We came through the UP on our way home from western WI Sunday and Monday. If I'd known about this I'd have built in a detour! Definitely will put this on our list for next time. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here