Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noma in Tulum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noma in Tulum

OK, we all love to BBQ and I assume many of us like to cook other types of food. My wife and I travel extensively and like to take cooking classes in CHina, Cambodia, Santa Fe...where ever...

But we also like to eat out at all types of restaurants ranging from the lowliest dive to the Michelin 3*

We ate once at NOMA in Copenhagen, long ranked as the best restaurant in the world... while closed now they are operating a temporary restaurant in Tulum. Reservations sold out in minutes but we were were able to snag a table at the "pop up" restaurant. It is really expensive with some of the money going on to good causes so no need to comment about how ridiculous it is to spend so much money on a meal!

Anyone else going? The Noma meal was extraordinarily 'creative'

Since the top (or one of the top) restaurant had live ants, I'm thinking I'm not going anytime soon.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope live ants aren't a staple in Nordic cuisine... but in Mexico, maybe...

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as live uncles aren't on the menu I'm OK.

So Tulum is in Mexico, right?

Comment

A word about the live ants... I ate them. Ceviche as you know is raw seafood "cooked" in citric acids from the limes, lemon juice etc. The stingers of the ants inject a similar acidic substance cooking the huge fresh prawn at Noma. It was delicious but a bit unnerving as the shrimp isn't quite dead in the head even though its tail is cooked...

Even crazier food in Noma Mexico.

Comment

I won't even bring up the barbecued tarantulas I ate in Cambodia

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          I've seen people eating fried tarantulas on TV. What did they taste like?
          Since you brought it up...

• fracmeister
          fracmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          Crunchy and a bit sweet from the sauce... my wife wouldn't kiss me for a few days...

I wish I would have known about this sooner. I regret never having eaten at Noma, I really like what I've seen their chefs do on Bourdain's shows. Maybe they will do a second run, or do another pop up in a different exotic location.

Comment

• fracmeister
          fracmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          They are opening a new (VEGETARIAN) restaurant....

I can only say that it was FANTASTIC. We loved it. Perfect weather and they gave us a nice tour afterwards. They have quite a few grills and smokers going. Only sous vide machines were to keep sauces at a fixed temp. Exotic, delicious and a real memory.

Comment

I love trying exotic foods. This would be a blast. Bring on the ants!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here