Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ in Boston, Ma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ in Boston, Ma.

My wife and I are going to Boston this October for the first time to visit my daughter and son-in-law. We are very excited about the trip. Can Bostonians do the Q? Can anyone give any recommendations on a BBQ joint/restauran?. I don't know if the kids are much into Q much so I wanted to see what the good folks here think. Thanks in advance.

My post makes me sing the Pink Floyd song that goes " Is there anybody...OUT THERE!"

Comment

American BBQ in Rowley and Beverly is good. Tennessee BBQ in Danvers. Blue Ribbon BBQ in West Newton used to be awesome, but I haven't been there in a few years. Guess it depends on where you'll be in the area. I also don't know much about "in the city" joints.

A few years back, I was looking into American BBQ to cater to a group of colleagues doing a bike trip, but after toting everything up, decided to do it myself. It may have been even better! ;-)

Comment

EdF Thank you. My daughter and son-in-law live in Jamaica Plain just a few blocks from the Sam Adams Brewery.

Comment

I guess I don't have any in-town BBQ recommendations. But a nice place to check out in Kenmore Square is the Island Creek Oyster place - best oysters in the universe.

Comment

• Ribber
            Ribber commented
            Editing a comment
            Just checked out their website. That's a must. That's singing our song. Thanks for the tip!

Ribber, I think as EdF said going to Boston looking for BBQ is a little like going to Memphis looking for Lobster! Just plain Bass Ackward! It's been years since I last was in Boston, but I know if you go to the Boston Harbor you can view Old Ironsides (USS Constitution), very Historic and full of Seafood Restaurants! Enjoy your trip!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Ribber
            Ribber commented
            Editing a comment
            Their is nothing I would like to do more than to see Old Ironsides. I hope we have time for that. Thanks for pitching in!

If you are in Boston probably the best bbq in or around the city is Redbones in Somerville They are pretty authentic. Have not been in a while. October is a great month to visit the City, weather is great that time of year. Hopefully there will be some baseball going on and you can check out Sweet Cheeks by Fenway park. Their pork belly is really good and their biscuits are as good as you will find (not a statement taken lightly). If you are out west of the city my hometown of Marlboro MA has a good spot called Firefly's that does a real nice job. But make sure you see lots of sights in the city and sample around the various culinary offerings the city has to offer. Have fun!

Comment

• Ribber
            Ribber commented
            Editing a comment
            Fenway looks to be fairly close to Jamaica Plain. How do you visit Boston without going to Fenway? That would just be wrong! Just checked out Sweet Cheeks menu...awesome! The beers on tap are calling my name out loud. Thanks. Have a great Sunday!

EdF Danjohnston949 Mitrakas Thank you so much! My daughter will have some things planned out but I will bring up some of these places and see what we can work out. Unfortunately we will only be there for a few days. I would love to be there a week but my daughter would probably go nuts by then. I'm really pumped about going though. Thanks again!

Comment

I second Sweet Cheeks! Few blocks up from Fenway Park on Boylston - everything was delicious and the biscuits w honey butter are outstanding 🐽🐽🐽 Enjoy your trip to Boston - Go Sox!

Comment

• Ribber
              Ribber commented
              Editing a comment
              PSULion. Thanks for the second. Sweet Cheeks sounds like a must!

+3 for Sweet Cheeks. I'm also a fan of Tennessee's in Danvers but that's very out of the way for you.

There's been an influx of BBQ in the Boston area, most are taking advantage of a service called Fooda that does pop-up lunch/dinner spots. Prudential Center has several Fooda folks and I believe they are on a rotating basis. Fooda comes to our office for lunch, yesterday was Red-Eyed Pig, serving up real Carolina BBQ with actual vinegar sauce. The BBQ folks who participate in Fooda tend to be caterers for the most part, so no brick-and-mortar locations to direct you to. Also, many of the sauces in this area tend toward the sweet side so make sure to request yours on the side. Most places will be happy to accommodate you.

I'm a big fan of Legal Seafood, the definitive Boston seafood restaurant. Each location has a slightly different menu, and most offer $1 oysters before 6pm in the bar. They are also the best place if you have food allergies or sensitivities and will alter the side dishes listed on the menu items upon request. I usually get plain steamed spinach as a side when we go there, not mentioned anywhere on the menu but they nearly always have it. They can also do gluten-free fried seafood -- chickpea flour and pan-fried, which is very tasty. Pricey but worth it!

Comment

carolts Thanks for the info. I spoke to my daughter on Sunday and she has a PLAN of places for food, beer, etc. But based on recommendations Sweet Cheeks sounds like a place that we just gotta make it to. I told my wife I wish we could stay a couple of more days to try to hit some of the places folks here have recommended. I appreciate your input!

Comment

I've not been to boston in a while (spent a couple months there in college) and can't really suggest any good BBQ. However, if you hit historic Fanuel Hall, you have GOT to get some Durgin Park Baked Beans. THE Boston baked beans. And raise a toast at the Bull and Finch.

Comment

• Ribber
                  Ribber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. I will do my best. I think we needed to plan a longer trip!

Let us know how your trip went!

Comment

• Ribber
                  Ribber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We are going mid-October. I will certainly check in. I hope to hit at least one of the places recommended to me. Thanks. Good luck to your beloved Nittany Lions this weekend!

• PSULion
                  PSULion commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Enjoy your trip to NE - October is perfect time to visit! Let us know how the BBQ trip here goes ...and thanks for the PSU shout out 👍💙😀

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here