Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surfside Smokehouse, Plymouth, MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surfside Smokehouse, Plymouth, MA

In the middle of a 5-day boat trip, full of 12-hour on-the-water days, the Surfside Smokehouse was a very welcome taste of home. This new restaurant is walking distance from Plymouth Rock in the Brewer Boatyard on 14 Union St. The owner, Fred, also runs Backyard BBQ in Nantucket.

I had the pulled pork, which was very tasty, and the ribs which were great! I asked him about the rub and he gave me some to take home and try out. He smokes on a CookShack. The cole slaw was good as well, and included kale. I'm not a big kale fan (except in sausage and bean soup) but this worked and gave it a nice crunch to boot. The beans were sweeter than I like but that's what he says his customers ask for, so that's what he makes. Also, really good Carolina Gold sauce. they will happily serve you the ribs without sauce and they had a nice bite to them.

One nice feature is they use the old barrels from local distilleries as their smoking wood, the one local to Plymouth being Dirty Water. Fred said he does it to honor the BBQs southern roots of using what's local. It was late and not too busy so we talked a while about how BBQ is such an inclusive group of folks, from rank amateurs like me all the way to people who do this for a living. I'm looking forward to a return trip or, even better, visiting his place in Nantucket once I recover from this last boat trip.

Give Surfside Smokehouse Plymouth or Backyard BBQ Nantucket a try.

Thank you for the great write up. I've never been to that area, but it's good to know the Surfisde Smokehouse is there. Nothing like some good pulled pork and ribs when you're away from home.

Comment

Great writeup, thanks Carol!

Comment

Review follow-up.

Surfside Smokehouse made Plymouth MA a port-of-call on this summer's two-week July boat trip. We arrived mid-week and ate early, since we were on "boat time" (when you're cruising, you tend to rise early/sleep early). Service and food are still great, although the beans seem to have disappeared from the menu. I didn't miss them at all. The vibe continues to be fun and casual. Glad to see they're keeping things up to par, as this place adds some great variety to the Plymouth food scene.

Comment

Great to hear! Thanks for sharing Carol. I like the sound of that boat life!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here