Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnson's Boucaniere in Lafayette, LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnson's Boucaniere in Lafayette, LA

Traditional BBQ with a Cajun flair...

This is the first place my now boss (then prospective boss) took me to when she was trying to convince me to move to Louisiana! Sold. They do a nice hot Cajun style dry rub on boneless country ribs that melt in your mouth. I usually get the 2 rib lunch plate, which comes with 2 country ribs, 2 sides, and a link of Boudin for roughly $15. Their Boudin is a local favorite (I call it Cajun pate because it has that consistency--ground pork sausage made with rice stuffed inside a real link). The link is boiled and not crisped or smoked but it is still dynamite. They have a nice BBQ menu that ranges from pulled pork sandwiches to more traditional Cajun dishes like gumbo. They fuse Cajun cuisine with some of their sandwiches, so you can get a grilled cheese stuffed with boudin, pulled pork, or brisket. They also offer traditional BBQ sandwiches and po' boys with any of their smoked meats and sausages. Good sides. You can't go wrong with the slow cooked green beans or the mac n' cheese!

They are technically open from 10 AM to 6 PM Tuesday through Thursday, but you should get there before noon because they start running out of things after the lunch rush.

Johnson's is also open from 10 AM to 9 PM on Friday and from 7 AM to 9 PM on Saturday.

Address and Phone:
    1111 St John St
    Lafayette, LA 70501
    (337) 269-8878

Ahh yes, "boucaniere", or buccaneer, perhaps some of the first to practice barbecue. http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_articles/...e_history.html

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, the French settlers in the Carribean were the first pirates and were nicknamed Buccaneers bc they liked to bbq meat the way the Arawak Indians taught them (boucaniere) being French for BBQ. I read that in a history of pirates (Under the Black Flag). Will check out the amazing ribs history section...

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Meathead has so much researched information here besides recipes and techniques, it's crazy. A lot of it hides unnoticed.

I did some work in "Laugh-ee-yet" back in the 80s. Great town for gumbo! Every restaurant has a different recipe. My buds and I used to go "gumbo hopping"...bowl of gumbo and a pitcher of beer...each. Then off to the next restaurant for more of the same!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here