Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adventure Continues: Welcome to PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not read this entire thread but congratulations to you for building a business from the ground up. Probably one of the hardest things to do. Takes complete dedication and commitment. Working for yourself doing what you love is something that only someone who has done it can truly understand and appreciate. It's long hours and something needs to be done 7 days a week.
    The wife has been self employed for over 20 years running a distribution business. I joined her about 5 years ago after I retired from my corporate job which I came to hate by the end. Now we are about to sell off about 60% of our business and I will pretty much retire and she will work what is left of the business.

When you're self employed the business is in your face 24/7. You're always doing something with the business if you're not there is something you should be doing.
    Not everyone can do this. It takes an extraordinary amount of self motivation and discipline. You give up many personal things to operate a successful business. Congratulations to you Paul for exemplifying the American dream!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      It takes dedication and some spunk (and skill) to make a living as an entrepreneur. Congrats on your adventures and thanks for the encouragement!

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      PaulstheRibList, Ya'll Done Said a Mouthful There, Paul‼️ My Suggestion Is Buy a Good Set of Braces (Suspenders) to Keep Your Britches Up❗️ While You Work Your A-- Off‼️ Have a Ball❗️ Dan

I wanted to smoke #WhoDatRibs twice more this season!!! Oh well. #GoPatriots

#LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket-7, Super Bowl-smaller.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	446508

Comment

I am with you! Go Pats! PaulstheRibList

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, #GoRiblist #Getontheriblist

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Why? Because #LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList #AndInthePit

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Well....that and your BBQ is guaranteed to be good. The SB? Not so much. PaulstheRibList

Life is full here at @PaulsRibShack! Hired a second full time guy and a part time. We are vending 1-3 times a week and turning on the juice for doing more catering.

In in the middle of this, enters friendship stuff. Last year, a great friend asked me to bring the rig to Ft Lauderdale, FL to make a big deal at his trade show. We are both in the laundry business. I really like my friend Todd and want to show some extravagant love on him, same as God shows it on me. So, we committed to doing it! He parlayed our barbecue fun to get even more heavy hitters from around the country to come to his show.

My pit is heavy and bends the back of my trailer. So I had to fab a system to roll the pit forward to put more weight on the axles when we go very far. It was a good bit of work to do all that prep. But it’s done now and we can trailer all over! Didn’t take many pics of the new fab yet, but ther is one with my brother bringing the backplate I a new d-ring we put in to tie down the cooker I exchanged the foxes legs for steel wheels and we put in a galvanized c channel fun stuff but work!!

Name:	CED871B1-5131-4D76-A547-F0905EC931E8.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	459337

Todd flew in early, got to see my stores and family, share a Cajun meal, and help me with the fab work and load in.

It’s a 17 hour drive, so we took a day and a half. I borrowed my brothers diesel 2500. My gasser pulls it, but it’s simpler and better fuel economy with the diesel!!

Name:	987561A7-7CCC-4491-B645-6AE427A46519.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	459334

Name:	41EA3013-BDCE-4EDA-BC43-12918A7433EF.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	459333

Name:	A54CA6D6-A8E2-4D9C-AE83-F4F434D7E856.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	459330

Name:	94651CA1-85B2-45F6-8121-DB5D22C40150.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	459328 The signature event was noon Thursday, so we pulled out alll the stops: Beef Ribs were the star of the show! Here is Todd with a Bone-In Beef Short Rib plate! He helped rub some of them

Name:	205D8433-3A82-48CC-BA6C-1A371519785F.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	459335
      Aren’t the short ribs so pretty!!!

Name:	6622FEA8-0603-4D9B-8A98-9D15858E62E0.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	459336
      We cut them into medallions, made a crumble and served it over the Mac for the getting-started part!

Name:	A8B15DB7-ABA6-4446-B3CC-6D5FF3D0418D.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	459329

Name:	C281CF2F-3B71-4FFB-A2A7-C32E2E52889E.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	459331
      We’re in the Laundry business, so I used a Dryer door for my appetizer serving tray! It was quite heavy after 30 minuets!

But, as you all know, the smiles make all the hard work worth it!

Name:	EF1299F3-2622-4DEA-834C-C41DFB1DE5DC.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	459332

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        PaulstheRibList, Paul You Will Never Regret the Improvements on Your Trailor❗️ That's A Good Look'n Crew You Have, 'Cept For the Long
        Haired One❓ 🤗😇🤗
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Dan! You are right about the trailer mods. I let these new needs spur me on to doing those type of improvements

My friend gave me Washboard Award, for Best BBQ in the laundry industry...also the only Barbecue in the industry, lol
      Click image for larger version  Name:	2658E3DD-B4A4-4252-804F-C16A024EE0CD.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	459343

we served lunch, which was Beef Rib filet cuts, turkey, who dat pork ribs, smoked beans, 5-Cheese Mac and slaw!i love this pic of me at the cutting board with a beautiful beef rib!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_57495.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	459345

here is a tray of beef rib filets all cut up and ready for leftovers that night
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_57497.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	459346
      And a brisket, bark done and about to go in the paper for finishing
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_57509.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	459347

Oh, and the Instagram worthy Edison back porch lights!!!

Name:	image_57503.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	459341
      and the smiles at the after party
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_57508.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	459344
      The ride to and from the house we stayed in and the shop had a few little boats in view...
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_57507.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.21 MB ID:	459342
      and we’ll close up this post with the star: Beef Rib Plates!!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_57510.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	459348

Ft. Lauderdale was fun! And tiring!
      That't the price I'm willing to pay for friends!
      #GetOntheRibList
      Last edited by PaulstheRibList; February 28, 2018, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        When I grow up I want to work for you!

• Butchman
        Butchman commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like you’re having a blast! Keep on smokin!

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Nate Love it!
        Thanks Butchman !

Awesome!

Comment

I said once or twice and I will continue saying it "Yo Da Man"

Comment

What a show you have going on here in this thread!

Comment

I really like reading this stuff about your adventures PaulstheRibList ! It's always been a dream of mine to do what you're doing. I'm just not a big risk taker. It's hard to walk away from a desk job paying so well, but I find myself missing putting smiles on peoples faces.I'm still young, so maybe I'll muster up the courage in the near future! Keep on keepin' on man!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          Dude, have fun and take some good, measured steps!

those beef ribs are crazy. i'm so hungry right now!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          #BeholdthePowerofBeefRibs

This is a great thread Paul. I am very happy you keep adding to it. Please keep it up.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          Thanks RonB It's fun to share the journey with all you cool people!

Well, it's time for an update, don't you think?

I'm not sure if I've shared this picture before or not. In any event, the more I burn logs to cook barbecue, the more I love it! The flavor. The cool factor. The art. The hard work. The intoxicating smell when people drive by or walk up the trailer. I'm #StickburnerForever #HardHardWork

Name:	2018-06-26 14.50.15.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	529589

Oh, the Turkey Revolution! I take home turkey to eat more than anything else! We sell out of brisket nearly every time. And the turkey is just so easy to eat at home. And it's super great!

Name:	2018-06-30 09.58.56.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	529590
        Crew Members.
        My #1 man is Sam. He's super great! Here is Sam's roommate, and our 2nd oldest crew member, Colin, in the middle. He has a full time job as a Band Director. But in the summertime and some weekends...we get him! He's great! He's doing a Pastrami this week. #PitmasterColin
        Ross is on the right. He's been with me for about 8 months. Very capable and talented.
        Andrew is on the left. College student. Been with us 3 weeks and is doing GREAT!

Name:	2018-06-27 20.21.47.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	529591

For the last 3 months, we've been vending on Friday's for lunch at the same spot. Sometimes Thursday. It's pretty cool. This was a busy day, including our law enforcement friends. On the left is a delivery person from WaitrApp, a very cool food delivery service we launched a month ago.

Name:	2018-06-22 11.53.39-1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	529592

Here is Sam, our lead Pitmaster and my #1 man. I would not have done the Food Truck without him. We had a really big 2 weeks, and we borrowed a commercial kitchen to cook Mac and trim a bunch of briskets. I bought Sam some more knives (Global and Shun) to play with. This is about half of the 25 or so briskets he trimmed in a couple of afternoons. All CAB Prime #SoGood

I don't think I took any pictures, but we cooked 26 pan's of our mac in that same afternoon. Mac is a TON of work. $26 in ingredients, plus 1.2 hours of labor per pan, and that's after I bought a continuous feed grater and other tools, and we used the bigger kitchen. You can se the finished pans of Mac in the background. My kids are the primary Mac chefs.

Beans Beans Beans!

Name:	2018-06-29 21.04.21.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	529594

Catering Gigs.
        I'm learning the Vending is great...for getting you a following. But to make a living, Catering is Big Winner. We did a 500 person gig for a church last Saturday. It went GREAT! Food was great, guests were super happy. Beautiful all around. Pulled Pork, Turkey, Beans, Mac and Slaw. Chicken Legs, Hot Dogs and Mac for Kids. Beautiful wooded park. Oh Yes!! The church is planting a campus in an adjoining city, and this was a great outreach event for them.

Name:	2018-06-30 11.44.09.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	529595
        Food Fun.
        Off Menu items are what we create after the big rush is over on big gigs. Say hello to the BeanMacDog.

July 4th! Ok, this is not a Barbecue picture... I've started an ArtAtTheLaundry initative at my coin laundries. Our 1st piece is the glass art on the right side of this. 2nd Piece we debuted on July 4th: Washington Crossing the Delaware, Christmas Day 1776. #GodBlessAmerica

Name:	2018-07-04 14.22.56.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	529596

The city has a big fireworks and music festival on July 4th. They emailed me asking me to come, and I sort of ignored the emails. I just expect city things to be so bureaucratic. I was really busy anyway, but the very nice coordinator lady called, and said they really wanted us, because we do a good job and follow through, and folks really like our food. I'm actually meeting with our Mayor, who is a successful restaurant owner, this week to get some ideas about where to open my restaurant. We sold out on July 4th!

Name:	2018-07-04 21.20.19.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	529598

Attached Files

Comment

• PBCDad
          PBCDad commented
          Editing a comment
          My theory is that Spinaker and Sam are the same person...
          Awesome post as always

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          @PCBDad I'm just using these pics to recruit Spinaker to move down to God's Country and be neighbors with me and Huskee

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahaha, could be a long lost brother........it waaaay to hot for this Minnesotan down there. Well maybe not in the winter........ PBCDad PaulstheRibList

Please bring this gorgeous food truck trailer and all it has to offer to Grants Pass Oregon - you'll love it here!

Comment

The Logo is right on!

Comment

Yep, this thread is great - Congrats on such a great beginning!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here