Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adventure Continues: Welcome to PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you open up a new social media account, they prompt you to enter a description, and I mean a short description. So if forces you to think about the essence of your idea. When I was creating the pages for @PaulsRibShack and @BishopofBBQ earlier this year, I sat at this very keyboard for a good little while, thinking how I wanted to describe the launch of our little project.

Here's how i listed the About box on our facebook page, "Some journeys are so fun they just have to be shared! Well, we enjoyed sharing barbecue with friends so much we had to open a Barbecue FoodTruck & Caterer!"

And on the instagram for @PaulsRibShack, "If you're into super-fun, delicious, all-wood smoked Barbecue, you’re in the right place! #FoodTruck #LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList (Paul is @BishopofBBQ) www.PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com"

And @BishopofBBQ "Paul here, Pitmaster @PaulsRibShack & chief fun maker for our BarbecueAdventure! (My non-bbq life is @paulpettefer) #LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList www.PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com"

One of the friendships I have deepened is with a young leader in our city named John O'Donnell. He leads the Healthier SWLA/Louisiana Healthy Communities Coalition Region 5, and is a great community volunteer, having really stepped up in our recent round of Hurricane Prep. John does some writing for this great local magazine, www.ThriveSWLA.com. Their monthly magazine is absolutely beautiful to look at, and well written to boot. John is one of our biggest supporters at the Rib Shack, and I couldn't be happier about that. Here is one of our several pic's together (John is in the center with the shades):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7307.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	378280

Healthy Image is the name of the marketing company that does the Thrive magazine. Well, Healthy Imabe/Thrive SWLA recently expanded to a new building, and invited us to come and bring the barbecue fun to their grand opening, which we were so happy to do! (The recent 1,000 plate cook was a referral from a friend who attended this event!!!) Here are a couple pics of their open house:

They loved the barbecue!!!! Here are the two ladies who coordinated the party.

Name:	IMG_4460.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	378276

Here is one of the owners. We've known each other for several years. They have a great business.

Name:	IMG_4462.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	378277

The after party! After this pic, I went and dropped off my trailer, cleaned a bit, and drove back past here after dark, and they were still in the parking lot enjoying their field of victory!

Name:	IMG_4481.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	378278
    Oh, and the ribbon cutting earlier in the day!

Name:	IMG_4420.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	378279

So, we did a little barter action here: I provided BBQ Singles for 100 (I actually prepared for 200), and they give me some good coverage in their magazine. Well, the engaged my friend John O'Donnell to write an article on yours truly, and it hit the shelves this weekend!

Name:	IMG_7582.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	378274

Name:	IMG_7608.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	378275

John did a good job writing up our little story. I didn't "Vow to perfect my ribs" as his lead paragraph stated, but the story is pretty much accurate other than that. If you care to take a peek at it, here's the link, https://issuu.com/thrive/docs/thrive...017_webissue/6

Thank you all for helping me along the way!

#LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList

paul

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like you're having all the fun!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      How Fantastic, Brother!!! All y'all's Hard Work is makin' people sit up an' pay attention!
      I couldn't be happier fer y'all!!!
      Keep up th' Good Works!

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      @Jerod_Broussard, I'm smoking some #WhoDatRibs as we speak! #5thYearInARow #EverySaintsGame

More great work, Paul. Congratulations.

BTW, how's that knee doing?

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      Editing a comment
      Thank you gcdmd! Knee is better. I made an appt to see the sawbones, then that darn Hurr Harvey scrubbed our appt. By the time the reschedule date was here, the brusing or whatever was better. It never hurt to walk or bend it or hold weight. The pain was when it was touched from the outside.Thank YOU so much for caring and encouraging me to be smart!

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      gcdmd, Jeezy Josie as a Buddy from Brandon MB, CA Says, George do You Sleep❓ How is every thing in
      Victoria TX❓ I Hope You and Yours are Doing Well‼️
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      PaulstheRibList I'm glad you're better and that it appears to have been nothing serious. Keep up the good work.

PaulstheRibList, Congratulation Paul‼️ A Bit of Posiive Reporting is of Untold $ Worh of Advertising❗️👍👍👍👍👍
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Danjohnston949 Victoria is recovering nicely. We got mostly wind damage and, for the most part, we are recovering. Fortunately, we were spared the really heavy rain that folks to the east of us got. So, flooding was not as bad as it could have been. Also, after the flood of 1998 the gummint condemned neighborhoods along the Guadalupe River for human habitation, which meant that the more vulnerable housing areas were no longer occupied (at least not legally). Thanks for asking.
      Last edited by gcdmd; September 11, 2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Local TV Station covered the #LaborDayofLove event, and the ole' Barbecue Trailer makes a pretty sweet backdrop for the reporter to use! #YourWelcome

Comment

Wow. Congratulation on the well-deserved success. Looks really amazing!

Quite the story, just read from beginning to end. You truly excelled and hit all the right notes, everything looks great and you still keep stepping it up! Keep up the great work.

How's the MMS 72? I can't wait to receive mine 72XC in a few months. How would you rate it overall, cons, pros?

Comment

Congratulations Paul. Looks like your hard work is paying off.

Comment

Originally posted by fetyani View Post
          Wow. Congratulation on the well-deserved success. Looks really amazing!

Quite the story, just read from beginning to end. You truly excelled and hit all the right notes, everything looks great and you still keep stepping it up! Keep up the great work.

How's the MMS 72? I can't wait to receive mine 72XC in a few months. How would you rate it overall, cons, pros?
          Dude!!! You are going to have a blast on your new, HUGE Stickburner! I really like it. I'm not seeing too many minuses just yet. That moist environment has a lot of plusses, but it does slow bark formation on my heavy-rub #WhoDatRibs. I cooked some Monday for the Saints game, and I noticed how much I missed that Jambo Bark!

I bought the big Mixon it because it was the Largest Stickburner I could fit on the back of a BBQ Trailer. It's done everything I've asked of it. We've burnt through the original grate, and I need to make a repair/replace job. I'll comment more, and we can also visit on the phone when you get your's in! I'm pumped for you!

Comment

Originally posted by PaulstheRibList View Post

Dude!!! You are going to have a blast on your new, HUGE Stickburner! I really like it. I'm not seeing too many minuses just yet. That moist environment has a lot of plusses, but it does slow bark formation on my heavy-rub #WhoDatRibs. I cooked some Monday for the Saints game, and I noticed how much I missed that Jambo Bark!

I bought the big Mixon it because it was the Largest Stickburner I could fit on the back of a BBQ Trailer. It's done everything I've asked of it. We've burnt through the original grate, and I need to make a repair/replace job. I'll comment more, and we can also visit on the phone when you get your's in! I'm pumped for you!
            That's really great to hear. I'll be using it for a restaurant, that's why I decided to go with Mixon Smokers. Will update of course then.

Keep up the good work man, amazing stuff!

Comment

Aren't Stickburners Super Fun!!! I love mine. All of them! The big Myron Mixon 72XC has seen a good bit of work in our first year of owning it. It's insulated status is pretty efficient. A big brisket/butt cook takes about, well, I don't exactly know how may splits, but it's between 20-30, depending on how much you put into the unit.

In any event, I've needed to hone up my wood supplier skills and contacts. The best wood we've used so far is Pecan, from trees that were cut after Hurricane Rita, which hit us in 2005. The guy fell the trees then, and split them in the last year or so. So these splits are well seasoned and burn great!

Finding wood that's been split for more than a couple of months is not easy. Meaning just about impossible. I'm going to need to figure out how to store and season a bunch of wood. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy burning the last of the Rita wood! He has several more trees that have been cut for 5 years, and tells me he thinks they will bun just as good.

This morning, I took my 20 foot utility trailer, which we outfitted with plywood sides to hold in the wood neatly, and went up to pickup 3 Chords of Rita Pecan. I loaded up the first half by myself, which took a good little while. Then the guy and his helper helped me load the 2nd half. It's a lot of wood!

Go Stickburners!!!

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	395419

Don't these two trailers look great next to each other!

Name:	IMG_0131.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	395420

Comment

• kmhfive
                kmhfive commented
                Editing a comment
                Wonderful haul!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice haul, Paul!
                Out of pecan, here, so understandably envious!

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a load! Thinking of all the places in the north woods I've driven past where guys have STACKS of wood scattered all over the acreage. Not pecan of course.

GREAT write-up!

Comgratulations on all your success!!!

Comment

A popular BBQ joint in lower Michigan told me they use green hickory when I asked what type of wood they use. Not sure but my understanding is if your running a large fire that burns hot you can use some green woods. Some species are relatively dry when green and some species dry faster than others per this http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewc...=utk_agexfores. I know you need well seasoned for a small stick burner like mine but was curious if yours burns hot enough to burn less seasoned and may be more readily available.
                Keep up the good work you are living my dream.

Comment

Great looking woodpile! Keep up the good work

Comment

Nice load of wood.

Comment

That is a thing of beauty. I would love to have that rolling up into my drive way!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                        Editing a comment
                        Dude, Thank you! #Stickburnerfun

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here