Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adventure Continues: Welcome to PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff Paul.

Comment

Nice going, Paul!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

I always enjoy your posts and pics! Thank you for the update.

Comment

We are counting down the steps to get the ole' Rib Shack up and running. Thursday's fun involved taking professional pictures for the menu, website, and trailer wrap! So, to the smoke we went with Brisket, St. Louis Cut and Back ribs!

Well, don't we all love taking pics in front of our cookers! Here are some St. Louis Cut Ribs, and the big Myron Mixon 72XC in gleaming red behind me! My smile is from the heart - grateful to God for such a fun opportunity. And such a cool T Shirt!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4159 - smaller.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.63 MB ID:	274353

Well, thanks to Meathead and docblonder (I don't remember his handle) we know some of the fun ways to draw that pretty pink smoke ring on the meat! I love a pretty smoke ring! And, the new Super-Huge Teak cutting board is making her debut showing in the #PicturesoftheRibShack
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4365 - smaller.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.95 MB ID:	274355

Photographers love using that narrow field of view to dress up the show with Boca!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4344 - smaller.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.66 MB ID:	274354

How can a proper pitmaster have a RibShack without lots of pictures of ribs! And cool T Shirts!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4311 - smaller.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.06 MB ID:	274356
          #LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList
          Last edited by PaulstheRibList; February 12, 2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Great pics as always. Dr. Blonder's handle is docblonder BTW

• Abom
            Abom commented
            Editing a comment
            Just cuz I'm a photographer.
            bo·keh
            bōˈkā/
            noun: PHOTOGRAPHY
            the visual quality of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image, especially as rendered by a particular lens.
            "a quick, visual survey of the foreground and background bokeh of a variety of lenses"

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Abom, I knew I would misspelling it, but was too tired to look it up!

Great pictures Paul. I am glad things are coming together for you. Your equipment looks gorgeous!! I am looking forward to seeing the Rib Shack grow. Congratulations, Brother!

Comment

I am enjoying your journey -please keep us posted - and I know you will.

Comment

Great pics. It looks like I have the same large cutting board. Mine is from Teakhaus. How do you clean yours after each use?

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                Must have a big sink My board is a beast. Here's a link I found you may be interested in: http://teakhaus.com/teak-care/

• PaulstheRibList
                Editing a comment
                How do you take care of your board?

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't used it yet, but I'll probably do the soap and water bit to get the big gunk off, and then the mild bleach solution recommended in the link I posted.

Fantastic photos. Did you share some food with the photographer? Thanks for sharing your journey.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                Editing a comment
                I'm pretty sure they plan the photo shoots around when they have guests coming over that evening, so they are sure to impress them with the barbecue goodness!

So, Paul... PaulstheRibList

How do we go about acquiring a Rib Shack shirt, or ball cap???

Advertising helps get the word out there, so folks know ya' exist....

Comment

Well, it happened! We opened for Business at Paul's Rib Shack Barbecue!

The local Arts Council holds an annual Concert Series, Live at the Lakefront, 3 Friday's in March. This past Friday was week 1. Three band's play from 6-10, the proceeds from Beer sales are donated to the Arts Council, and local food trucks pay a little fee and set up in a semi-circle to feed the crowd...and We were there!

Here, my beloved friends, is our first paying customer:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	1st Paying Customer.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.60 MB ID:	291796

I had planned to do a practice Vend the prior weekend, but sickness, busy life and my other business didn't allow it. We pulled up here without any vending practice and very much of a wing-it posture. That is not so uncommon for me and the crew. We were actually a little late in opening. This lady waited about 20 minutes. She came back later in the night and told us it was great!

Here is my 2nd in command, Sam, at the cutting station, Briskets at the ready!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2613.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.09 MB ID:	291788

We showed up 2nd, about 2:30 in the afternoon, and parked on a little hill. I had to go get some 2x12's to roll the starbord tires onto to level out the trailer. Guests at the window were at about a 10 inch deficit vs. being on flat ground, but that didn't slow them down!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2617.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	291789

I didn't get to do a menu, so we set up a table with example plates and a written description of each. The Public Relations Department did an outstanding job: my 2 oldest daughters!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2619.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.35 MB ID:	291794
              Here is the table a few hours later. Man, I love using Butcher Paper!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2632.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.91 MB ID:	291795

I did not do any notifications to our existing "fan base" as I knew we would be stretching to serve well with this non-practiced opening. I posted a video on my social media right before we opened, and some of our friends showed up and loved it! The guy's wife sent him to get $30 worth of meat - he's a great friend!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2626.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.75 MB ID:	291793

My friend Leo is great to hang out with!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2621.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	291787

This guy is a rough-and-tumble plumber from Texas, and he came back near the end of the night to let me know this was some good f'ing barbecue! Repeat. We talked barbecue, trucks and construction for a good while. I've made another friend!

Well, it was a long pair of days to get this and all my other stuff done. I'm a little old for those back to back 18 hour days...
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2625.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.31 MB ID:	291790

We will be even more ready next week!

I think we sold just under 200 orders, and turned a profit! We cooked too many briskets (10), and not enough sides (beans and slaw).

I'll make a 2nd post on the food.

Thank you all for the encouragement!
              #LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList

Attached Files

Comment

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! What a success for your first gig! Congrats! You'll have many more I'm sure!

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                More important than the food or the money is the fact that everyone in the photos looks like they are having fun! Great job.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Keep on rollin Paul!!! Your killing it brother. Can I mail order one of those briskets you have left over?

Well, I wonder why my new post is not getting included in the Today's Activity search on the Pit? Huskee , what do you think?

I'm excited to share with my friends here!
              Last edited by PaulstheRibList; March 20, 2017, 06:11 AM. Reason: Now it showed up - with this 2nd post.

Comment

It's there now Paul. Congrats on a successful, (and profitable), first gig. Great write-up and photos too.

Comment

Great write up. Sounds like a excellent first experience and you turned a PROFIT.

Comment

come to WI, my back yard has a lot of customers (it'll just be me and the wife but i'll buy disguises)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here