Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adventure Continues: Welcome to PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter attends the local university, McNeese St, about 9,000 students. She's involved at the Baptist Collegiate Ministries on campus, and they have a no-cost lunch for students on Mondays, at 11 and Noon. Well, what @BishopofBBQ with a cool new smoker and vending trailer could pass up such and opportunity to treat the students to the #FreeMealoftheYear!

Ten Briskets
    400 Chicken Legs
    3 Pans of Smoked Beans...300 or so happy college students!

theRibShack crew got them all trimmed and dry brined a day and a half before, Saturday. I got up before church on Sunday, applied generous coats of Big Bad Beef Rub and put them on the Mixon
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0004.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.25 MB ID:	244038
    Here's the scene a couple of hours in. I gave them some spritzing with water along the way.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0007.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.46 MB ID:	244040

And a little further along in the later afternoon. Pretty!!!!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0010.JPG Views:	2 Size:	5.57 MB ID:	244037

I'm doing some meat-side-up vs. fat-side-up on the new pit. Here is a meat-side-up sample. Looks nice!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0011.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.45 MB ID:	244041

We pulled them after dark, and put them in the CVAP for holding until it was time to leave in the morning. Ok, we got distracted with the darn beans, and were slow to check some of them for doneness...and a couple of them were overcooked. DARN! I cut short perfection on the main thing (brisket) to get a good 2nd thing in there (beans). Oh well. It will still taste great.

Monday morning we put the chicken on. Something around 400 legs, all with some salt and Cherry from Simply Marvelous. We were in a hurry, and I didn't get pic's. My apprentice was late, and that made things less fun. Here's a plate of chicken later in the afternoon
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0033.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.05 MB ID:	244042

The students love it, of course. Here's the scene, when we finally had a break to take a pic. There were 2 sets of students, both this full.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0027.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.42 MB ID:	244036

And here is my lovely daughter, Hannah. She is incredible. I'm so proud.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0031.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	244039

Oh, and the oversmoked beans...they ate every bite of them!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0019.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.60 MB ID:	244044

And I got this rockin cool cutting board with a liberty eagle printed on it. Perfect for pictures of BBQ! (I held back 2 briskets to take pictures for the trailer and website that afternoon, but one of the helpers trimmed it, and it had too much fat and the pretty smoke ring was obscured. So, I carved up the briskets there at the photographer's house and they started making calls to friends so share it all out. #SuccessAnyway.)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0034.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.25 MB ID:	244043
    Last edited by PaulstheRibList; November 26, 2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweetness!! Where were you Aug '94 thru Dec '98??!! I did have brisket for my graduation party.

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      @​​​​​​​Jerod Broussard I graduated in May 91, so we missed out on being classmates. Brisket for Grad Party is #BarbecuePerfect

Looks great Paul and great pics

Comment

PaulstheRibList, Good Looking BBQ! I surprised you didn't get Trampled Serving? OBTW Your Daughter is a Good Looking Kid it is obvious to Me She Must Favor Her Mother! 👍😇👍
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      Editing a comment
      THanks Danjohnston949 She is super cool. She dances, she is the editor for the McNeese chapter of OdysseyOnline (a college online newspaper around the country), and she writes her own exquisite blog at www.GraceInEverything.com. And she loves our family!

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      PaulstheRibList, Paul, You Are A Fortunate Man Indeed!
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Another great #theRibList Day! So glad for friends to come by the house today and enjoy these spectacular prime, bone-in Beef Short Ribs, smoked over a pure wood fire on our new rig. The TV is a permanent part of Sunday Afternoon on theRibShack Rig, and all who came by today got to watch our beloved New Orleans Saints pull our a great win! Did I mention yet how glad I am God made cows? #LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList #EachPhotoHasAStoryOnIt

Troy has seen several of the Pic's I posted on Facebook and asked more than once, "Put me on that list!" So I did!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1255.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	252280
    Here's my friend Pastor Charles Robertson. His quote on Facebook when he got home, "When the Bishop of BBQ calls you drop everything and go. Thanks Pastor Paul Pettefer!"

Name:	IMG_1256.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	252281
    I love these two guys! #FatherNSonOntheRibList

Name:	IMG_1254.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	252282
    The kid on the left is our newest #theRibShackApprentice, and he is working great! The ladies are my best bud's daughter and friend, come to retrieve their barbecue fun!

Name:	IMG_1299.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	252290
    The friend and his wife just had a baby, so of course they got moved to the front of #theRibList.

Name:	IMG_1267.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	252291

Yes, Prime, CAB, Bone-In Beef Short Ribs!!! These slice pics are so delicious. I feel like going out the fridge and getting some more leftovers.

Name:	IMG_1265.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	252283
    We cooked one set of ribs as a plate, and here's the slice pic on the thickest part. The marbeling on these Prime puppies is so thick. Even when over rendered to about 210 degrees, they are full of delicious, perfect fat!

Name:	IMG_1271.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	252285

We cooked them at 260-200 for most of the 4-5 hours on the pit. It was great!

Name:	IMG_1250.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	252286

Here's the plate cut.

Name:	IMG_1268.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	252288
    My new favorite place to take pic's is in front of the new smoker. What do you guys think?

Name:	IMG_1294.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	252289

Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      The Saints always seem to have a #1 - #2 offense and a #32 defense since Ricky Jackson and all them dudes left.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Those ribs look delicious. Wow!

Jerod Broussard man, when they get the offence and the defense at the same time...

Nate thanks, bro!

Comment

Congratulations on your success, Paul, and, especially, on your beautiful family. There's no greater treasure on earth than that.

Comment

Paul, you are very inspirational keep up the good work and I wish you all the success you are looking for.

Comment

Amazing rig! Looks like you have all the bases covered. Good luck from IL.

Comment

Like all good adventures, the Road Trip is a memory maker, a prover of one's mettle. And, in #theRibShack's case, a really great chance to make more friends!

One of my friends in all things ministry is a really cool dude, www.WillMancini.com. He is launching a new personal vision clarity process, www.lifeyounique.com, and in the process, hosted an intensive at his home outside Houston for about 20 participants. He asked me if I could launch Day 1 of the process with some Protein Based Memory Making - YesICan!!

Will, bye the way, is who gave me the handle @BishopofBBQ, so he has a special place in the story!

This is back in the 2nd week of December. I'd had the trailer for nearly 2 months, but we are very much still just getting started on outfitting it with all the details and the packing and organizing of ALL THE STUFF you need to be a roving pitmaster in chief. It took, like, forever to get all backed up. The time stamp on this pic is 11:14 pm. We were pulling out heading to Houston at 4:30 am, to beat the traffic and avoid that most-deadful situation of being behind schedule on a barbecue smoke.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1081.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.40 MB ID:	263146
            Yes sir, that is a red truck pulling that red trailer!

I gave Will a couple of options, but let him know that if he wanted to make the most profound statement to his guests, I could recommend nothing as highly at Bone-In Beef Short Ribs! He agreed with my recommendation. We cooked all but 2 plates cut into individual bones. Here are some of them, generously coated in Big Bad Beef Rub. We cut them the day before and began the beloved dry-brine process, then Rubbed them up, with vegetable oil slather, right before they went on the pit.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1084.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.78 MB ID:	263154

Isn't this pretty! 24 individual bones of absolute barbecue decadence!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1085.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.76 MB ID:	263147

Being from Louisiana and all, I absolutely LOVE dishes made with the holy trinity of vegetables, Onion, Bell Pepper and Celery. We added poblano peppers and jalapenos as well. I would have added garlic, but, forgive me, forgot. The pans are absolutely stunning
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1076.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.87 MB ID:	263149

I've decided to try making a bunch of the veggie mix, sauteeing them in my super-cool Louisiana jambalaya pot (small Video Here! https://youtu.be/tKNp6fOEs6c) so i'll have batches I can grab to make several servings of beans at different times. I love those beans! Thank you Meathead
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1093.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.14 MB ID:	263151

All our cooks on the big Myron Mixon 72XC are done with wood. In this case, Oak, nice and seasoned, with a couple of Pecan pieces as well that sneaked onto our wood pile. Fires are soooooooooooccooooooooollllll!!!
            Active Flame Stage on top of bed of great coals!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1094.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.63 MB ID:	263150

Awesome Coals stage! Cooking on a larger stickburner with a bigger fire is great - I can have an absolutely clean, blue smoke situation for THE ENTIRE COOK!!!! (If you recall any of my prior cooks on the Jambo, it's small size and insulated box mandates smaller fuel, meaning smaller splits, to keep an active fire and not over-spike temps - which means a shorter time between fire tendings, and some fire rescue's if you have to leave for an hour.)
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1102.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.31 MB ID:	263153

After the meats were on, we busted out the Temporary RibShack Colors. We'll be flying them permanentaly with the artwork going on the side of the trailer in the next month or so. #SmokeRingsForever
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1087.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.11 MB ID:	263148

The Myron Mixon 72XC uses a waterpan as the heat sync. That fire brings on a rolling boil and here it paints a memory of Picaco's Starry Night in the water!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1098.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.08 MB ID:	263152

As darkness descended, the Christmas Lights from the neighborhood joined in the fun! I left the Kindling Kracker and 4 pound hammer on the sidewalk and the participants joined in the fun!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1107.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.58 MB ID:	263155

We cooked the ribs at 250-275, and the first ones were done in about 4.5 hours. What do you think?
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1100.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.68 MB ID:	263156

I'll bring us all inside the house to see the guests enjoying the meal in the next post.

#LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Outstanding posts! Thank you.

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Paul do You travel with Your Smokers Going? 👍👍Out Standing Ribs, 👍Beans, and Veggies👍👍!
              From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• PaulstheRibList
              Editing a comment
              Well, this unit has a Water Pan, so driving with water in it is a messy proposition.

I have driven with the fire lit on borrowed cookers - very fun! And I'll have the fire lit when towing this one in parades, for sure. Just have to keep a small fire and a little water in the pan to prevent mess.

Looks AWESOME!!! Thanks for keeping this threads fire burning, glad to hear you are having fun!

Comment

Jeez, This is an incredible story- well done... We are light years behind in Europe, or at least Germany...I haven't seen anything like this over here..Good luck to you...will be watching your posts.

Comment

Those meats look awesome, great story, keep on spreading quality bbq to folks all over.

Comment

Ok, I didn't get around to finishing the story of my Bone-In Beef Short Rib cook at my buddy Will's place in Houston in December, where all the food pics happened!

We cooked most of them cut, but 2 we cooked in the 3 bond plate, so we could get this picture...

Name:	IMG_1118.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	269062
                  We set up inside, and started cutting. Turkey was a huge hit!

Name:	IMG_1127.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	269065
                  And Sam got started cutting up some of the Short Ribs, for those who didn't want to take a whole one.

Name:	IMG_1133.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	269066
                  The best moment of the night might have been the host's son, taking a bite of a whole beef rib, then exclaiming, "This just changed my life!" I'll let you enjoy it in sequence:

Name:	IMG_1163.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	269064

Name:	IMG_1164.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	269063

Name:	IMG_1165.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	269067

Name:	IMG_1166.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	269068

Name:	IMG_1167.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	269071

Name:	IMG_1168.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	269069
                  Yep, they were good!

Name:	IMG_1174.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	269077
                  Sam agreed!

Name:	IMG_1179.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	269070

Here is the hose, Will, his son and I. We made Will a full-fledged member of theRibShack Crew, hat, tshirt and all!

Name:	IMG_1566.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	269078

Name:	IMG_1567.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	269079
                  #LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList

Name:	IMG_1569.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	269076

Attached Files

Comment

Awesome pictures Paul!

Comment

It should be against the law for anyone having that much fun 😊!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here