Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adventure Continues: Welcome to PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool Paul & gang! Keep ‘er smokin! 👍👍👍🕶

Comment

Everything you do is impressive, PaulstheRibList , and your collection of knives fits right in with that approach. I really enjoyed reading your post.

I hope you get to take some time for yourself soon. You're in desperate need of a family vacay some place far away from work, I would imagine.

Wishing you well,
      Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; July 21, 2021, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Well, it's been a year or so, hasn't it. Being a part of thePit was a big part of my origin story in barbecue. Opening a restaurant has absorbed so much time I'm just not back in the saddle at the computer posting with you guys as much. I miss ya'll!!!!

We've had the Big Hurricane, Laura, August 27th. Then a follow up storm, Hurricane Delta, a month later. Then the winter storm freeze in Jan. Then 20 inches of rain in 5 hours in May. (Then a fire at one of my other businsses...)

Then...last Wednesday, a Tornado destroyed my personal home.

It was small but powerful. About 1 house wide. Came in from this direction. My wife was sitting in the living room, behind that Stucco colored room in the middle (the dining room). She heard the sound of glass and disegenterating wood and ran to the right (in this pic), grabbed the daughter that was home, and into a small bathroom.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5413.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	1119065
      This is the back side of my house. In ballistics, they call the the Exit Wound.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5401.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	1119067

As I said, My wife and one of my daughters were home. It all happened very fast. My wife heard glass break and other terrible structural noises (the house breaking apart) and ran into the daughters bedroom, and then quickly to the 2nd bath (left side in this pic). It was all over in maybe 30 seconds.​

This is the big room in the middle of the house, looking back. The wall you see there is about 2 feet back from where it's supposed to be. My engineer friend quickly improvised a couple of columns to keep us safe in the cleanup.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5593.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	801.1 KB ID:	1119061

Here's the garage...with a new skylight! We cooked so much barbecue from this garage, and learned so much, and shared it with you guys in thePit!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5601.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1119066

The cars in the driveway got a quick remodel. The Pod, holding stuff from Hurricane Laura, moved and hit the wife's car. The front of the Suburban shoved into my precious Jambo, which is impaled somewhat on the grill of the suburban. .
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5394.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	964.6 KB ID:	1119064

Here it looks my my precious Jambo and my wife's suburban are getting married!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5626.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	913.5 KB ID:	1119076
      This is the first pit I cooked a rack of ribs on. It has a charcoal grate you can raise and lower. Front opening to add fuel. Pull out ash pan on the bottom. Foldable tables on each side. It's fantastic! They don't make it anymore. I've searched hard to find a similar one. This one's still got a little life in her, don't you think?
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5639.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	1119075

Here's the front view....complete with a Love Refreshment package from the local Chic-Fil-A! The owner eats at our restaurant and called and checked on us. He was out of town, and his wife said, "Just sent them a bunch of food!" It was so needed and thoughtful!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5437.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	979.6 KB ID:	1119068
      ​
      The BIG PART of this story is how my church and friends rallied to us. When my wife called, she said a Tornado hit the house and she could see the sky. (She did not know how bad the house was. She didn't see the "Exit Wound" until the next day...and cried!) I was at one of our other businesses and immediately called Sam, Pitmaster at Paul's Rib Shack, which is about a mile away from my house. Immediately hurried to my house to give aid to my family. He sped and ran over debris (getting a flat) to get there in just, literally, two minutes. I texted the Elders group chat at our church, and then people started pouring in. The local news put my wife and kids on. The calls and texts kept coming.

We actually had bought another home and were doing a couple updates to it, and were about 3 weeks away from move-in. Well, Tornado day became Move-In Day. One of my other church Elders rented a big U-Haul box truck, and the 40-50 people there moved us to the new house in about 6 hours. Here's the crew that stayed until the last trailer was unloaded, about 9 pm, if memory serves. Sam, the Operations Leader and Head Pitmaster at the best barbecue joint we know how to make, is center back. Silas, #WorkerofMiracles at our place, is in the Red in the center. Colin, an OG part of the RibShack story, is right next to me. My brother in Christ, Allen, is in front. He's been such a huge part of our life and our barbecue story since before the beginning. They stayed with me until the last box was unloaded and sitting within the perimeter of our new home that night.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5441.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	863.3 KB ID:	1119062 ​

Resiliency is learned in the grind. One of my friends found our flag and reattached it to a birdfeeder stand. The news put our street on the TV, and lots of people seemed to be driving by. So I put a banner from our restaurant on the house, with the Heartbeat statements that emerged following Hurricane Laura:

What Makes America Strong? Well, I'll tell ya: We
      Trust Our God,
      Help Our Neighbors,
      &
      Love Our Country
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5473.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	909.1 KB ID:	1119063
      ​

The next day was my birthday, and I went back to the house and surveyed the damage, and our path forward. The big picture is that my wife and daughter are ok. My home is demolished, but we are not. One of my daughters reposted the story of my oldest daughter, Hannah, reflecting on our situation:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5444.PNG Views:	0 Size:	158.8 KB ID:	1119069

This event is hopefully the Capstone on the Era of Natural Disasters in Lake Charles. My daughter, the Marketing Leader at our Place, is writing an article about our hear, titled Grit and Grace. She wrote that before the Tornado, and this Post Script to our year will add to article even more.

I recorded a reflection on this day on my Birthday, I'm attaching it below from my Youtube channel.

"It's my Birthday! I have a request, call it a Birthday Present you can give me: I have a message of Hope in the Storm to share with you below, and would be honored for you and I so spend a few minutes together in my yard, seeing how we can use ALL circumstances, even a tornado destroying your house, to see the most important things more clearly."

Love,

Paul

#TrustOurGod #HelpOurNeighbors #LoveOurCountry
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PaulstheRibList; November 3, 2021, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, I can't even imagine. I'm so glad that everyone's ok, and that you were able to have a roof over your head after that.

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow. You and your family are so strong!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Your positive attitude throughout it all is a great lesson in perspective. Keep up the good spirits.

Paul - I wish I could be there to lend a hand. I know from personal experience how much time and effort it takes to keep a BBQ business going, the prospect of having to deal with this on the home front too must be brutal. Sending you all our best from the Meat Monsters Pit Crew, Ellon, Scotland.

Comment

Wow Paul. You have had to deal with so much it's heartbreaking. However, I know that if anyone can survive, it's you - especially with all the support you have. I know you will come through this stronger. 💪

Comment

This will make you stronger. Be strong.

Comment

Prayers of thanks for the safety of your family going up.
            Prayers of thanks to your Church and community for providing true Christian Support.
            Your banner pretty much says it all.
            Last edited by Debra; November 3, 2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Your post brings tears to my eyes, Paul. Such strength, such belief, such resilience. You, your family, and your friends are examples to us all. I am humbled by every one of you.

Wishing you well,
              Kathryn

Comment

I stumbled upon the very beginning of your first posts yesterday when searching for info on barbecue trailers and Myron Mixon smokers. About two hours later I had gone through all 24 pages, following your amazing story. You are truly an inspiration for so many, and your attitude, faith, motivation, and example transcends barbecue. There is no doubt you will tackle this challenge like so many before, come out stronger and better, and energize so many others in the process. Much respect, brother!

Comment

Dang, so thankful you guys are all ok though. Wishing you a much lower stress future, I think your family has taken more than its share.

Comment

Glad you're still smiling, Paul! Things are just things, but people are priceless.

From personal experience, I know that in a Truck vs. Jambo matchup, the Jambo wins!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                      PaulstheRibList commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Can't wait to cook some ribs on it soon!

I miss being in thePit with ya'll! I will post a real update soon! In the meantime, enjoy some S'mores and Christmas Trees and Ribs!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4797.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1347554
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4876.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1347555

Comment

• mrichie1229
                      mrichie1229 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I look forward to hearing your update! Praying that you and your family are building back better and stronger after what happened in 2021.

• tbob4
                      tbob4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great to hear from you! As noted a couple of years back, I sent my son to your restaurant and he gave you two thumbs up. Hope all is well with the rebuild and wishing you a Merry Christmas

• smokenoob
                      smokenoob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cheers! and Happy Holidays!

I have been thinking about you from time to time, but didn't want to bother you - you have so much on your plate. I do miss your updates, but I'm not trying to get you to post more often. Post when you can - we will be here my friend.

Comment

Merry Christmas to the Bishop of BBQ!

Comment

Thank you for the greeting Paul. Somehow I missed your post about the tornado last November and just read about it now. What a terrible experience. I hope at this point you are fully recovered, or at least close and Happy Holidays to you, your family, and crews! I'm look forward to that update!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here