Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adventure Continues: Welcome to PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang in there! Trying times for sure. I don't suppose you deliver? 🙄🤦

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, that might be a little bit of a stretch to get it to California, but it would be fun!

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Mail order??!! I’d buy some!

• fcy
      fcy commented
      Editing a comment
      Put me on the list of deliveries to California! 🤤

House-made Pastrami Reuben sandwich, anyone?
    #GetOntheRibList
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruben pastrami.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	829682

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Spinaker, we are doing good! Training our customers on the joy of Curbside Takeout!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great. I bet those food truck days are really paying off! #backtoyourroots

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes PLEASE!

Stay safe. This is changing my priorities, and a visit to your place is rising on the to do list.

Comment

Just got here from another post and it was really cool to see the food truck and then opening your url to see you now have a dine-in restaurant and all. Congratulations!

P.S.: Your food looks delicious 🤤

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya, well, how did it taste! 😎

Welcome from the land of 2, count 'em, 2 Hurricane Landings in the last little bit. I'm officially about as tired I was in the heat of the construction of the restaurant, and that's a lot! Everything we have here in SW Louisiana is in some sort of broken condition, to one extent or another.

We reopened just 2 weeks and a couple days after Hurricane Laura blew through. We were also cooking at a community free food spot, at the location of a diner called Nina P's, in conjunction with some other restaurants. I didn't have many crew members back, and some of us had to go work the Nina P's for lunch, so we opened at night on Fri & Sat for the first week. We didn't have time to smoke briskets, so I decided to do another Steak Night for Saturday Night. I really wanted our friends and neighbors to have a place to go and eat that felt normal. I little respite from all the strain and uncertainty of hurricane recovery.

Since then, I've just kept up the Post-Hurricane tradition of Saturday Night Steak Night! We buy Upper 2/3's Choice Ribeye rolls, and break them down by hand. About 1 1/4 inch thick. I'll take the main membrane off the back and get the fat off the tail that I can get down with a boning knife. Then it's time to slice and weigh. On the small end of the roll, they weigh 16 oz. In the middle, cut to the same thickness, it's a proper 22-24 oz bad boy!

This week, I've been working at our laundries most of the week, getting stuff fixed and setup, and we did some charity cooks. In other words, busy. We were 3 people down at the restaurant for one reason or another, and both businesses were BUSY! My main man Sam was covering for some and at the end of a busy Friday, no Ribeyes were prepped for Saturday. So after clean, about 10:20 pm, I sat in the quiet of my kitchen after the crew left and but 4 whole Ribeye rolls. I saw that big stainless table and these pretty steaks and thought this pic would be nice...

Name:	IMG_5423.jpeg
Views:	557
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	926022
      And some Merch Staging, of course!

Name:	IMG_5424.jpeg
Views:	559
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	926023

Now, add some Salt and Pepper! 2.5 Salt to 1 Pepper, generous coating:

Name:	IMG_5425.jpeg
Views:	550
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	926024

For cooking, we smoke them on the Offset Stickburners until they get to 100 degrees, then pull and put them in a cambro to wait their turn on the Santa Maria Grill. We pull coals from the Offset Stickburners to feed the Santa Maria. Oh, they are pretty on the grill!

Name:	IMG_5071.JPG
Views:	558
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	926026

We are getting some rave reviews!! Here's theBackyard with some happy guests on a Saturday Night

Name:	IMG_4958.jpeg
Views:	621
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	926019

Here's a simple pic on a table, with a Smoked Loaded Potato nearby.

Name:	IMG_5436.jpeg
Views:	560
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	926020

We hold them in a pan in the humidity controlled warmer. Here is a pan of steaks that have been sitting out for a bit as we were cleaning last night. We had a few leftover so the crew got to take these home. I think we cooked 110 and sold all but these last night.

Name:	IMG_5443.jpeg
Views:	548
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	926025

I'm glad to put some normalcy into our difficult Hurricane recovery.

Love,
      paul
      Attached Files

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        You thought right - that first pic is really nice! And the rest are great too! Wish I could eat at Paul's Rib Shack - but I'm afraid I'm too far away. Really do enjoy your posts though - fantastic job!

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to see things are working out. Great looking steaks, I want one!!!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Was that an Oktoberfest Pilsner I saw in a pic....
        10 months ago I would have said I would get down there one day to enjoy your cooking, today it looks kinds bleak.
        Happy things are working out for you.

Wow. Those steaks look great Paul! I'm glad things are improving. Volunteer work can be very tiring, but it's still a good feeling.

I hope things continue to improve.

Comment

Glad y'all survived both of those hurricanes alright! Looks Great!

Comment

U can make anything work,,,,,what stamina
          Ur are the jewel of the neighborhood
          Good luck and keep ‘er goin !

Comment

It's music to my ears to hear that you have reopened and are carrying on.

Those steaks look delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

What a beautiful space and fantastic looking food!

Comment

I’m sending my son your way tomorrow, if you are open. He is hoping to get there around 3pm.

Comment

Ok - I have a review, an honest one from my son. He and his wife stopped here and unfortunately "just missed" Paul. I really wanted photos of the two together. They ordered brisket, ribs, green beans, baked beans, mac and cheese and corn. He gave the restaurant a big thumbs up. Some of what he told me "You know brisket. It is hard to find a restaurant that does it right. Everybody thinks they can do it, but it's really nice when you get brisket that is done right. It has a good bark, just the right amount of fat and it pulled apart perfectly. It was moist without being overly so."

Of the ribs - "I like tasting people's regional sauces but I like a rib that doesn't need the sauce. This was a rib that didn't need sauce. They were almost as good as yours." Come on Paul - don't be trying to pry my kid away from me.

Of the sides "The mac and cheese was good as were the baked beans. I expect them to be good, though. What I really liked were the green beans. They were salty without being overly so. I don't really know how to explain it. It is one of those things you have to taste and then you get it." He said his wife LOVED the corn. If he hadn't been impressed I wouldn't have written the review or quoted him.

As I have noted before, he is my BBQ restaurant guy. I typically don't go out to BBQ joints. So if you are driving through Lake Charles and want BBQ, make sure to stop in. If I get better photos I will post them. He is driving now and says his wife has the good pictures.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4476.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.51 MB ID:	963196Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4472.JPG Views:	2 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	963197Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4473.JPG Views:	2 Size:	5.22 MB ID:	963198
                  Last edited by tbob4; December 26, 2020, 04:58 PM. Reason: Typing from phone stinks. Cleaned up with computer.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                    Editing a comment
                    tbob4, I am just now seeing this, we've been so busy fixing everything from the storm. THANK YOU SO!!! I'm heartbroken that I "just missed" them! My only consolation is that the food was up to standard. THANK YOU! and #WelcomeTotheRibList!

paul

Arms across the sea Paul, one smokehouse survivor to another. May your smoke always be blue and your door have a queue. Click image for larger version

Name:	me.png
Views:	360
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1027555

Comment

You have had so much thrown in your way this past year. I’m hoping that you are not impacted by all the rain falling in your area. Best wishes and stay safe.

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Me too.

• PaulstheRibList
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you guys! We have had too much.

1.Hurricane Laura
                    2.Hurricane Delta
                    3.Ice Storm (lots of damaged homes, non-occupied at the time, froze and pipes burst, no water pressure for 7+ days)
                    4.Epic Rain, May 2020. Up to 20 inches in 5 hours. Lots of homes flooded, some that have never flooded before, others that this was the 2nd or 3rd time they had water in them in the past year.

Last Sunday was the 1st day I haven't worked since the storm landed. We are resilient, though.
                    #KeepPushing

• PBCDad
                    PBCDad commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."
                    -Mother Teresa

Thought I would post something fun, that doesn't have anything to do with Hurricane Recovery, lol.

I love the knives we use at our place.

Name:	IMG_1646.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1064020

The Center of Attention is the 14" Wusthof Granton Slicer, affectionally known around these parts as theBrisketSword! We have a bunch of them, over 20. It's our primary knife on the cutting board. This one has my name on it!

Name:	IMG_1654.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1064021

In the mix here are some Shun knives, the Red Handled Made In French knife, a couple of carbon steel Old Hickory knives (which we don't use much), and the ubiquitous 8" flexible boning knife from

Name:	IMG_1647.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1064018

Andrew and I had a fun time setting up this picture after close one night a month or two ago. The Board we laid them on is our custom, 10' long cutting block, embossed with the Flame of Freedom right in the middle.

Name:	IMG_1657.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1064019

Ya'll have a great night, and keep those knives sharp and give 'em their regular practice slicing up that barbecue!

paul

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's some fine looking cutlery, I'd imagine displaying that arsenal would deter and thieves or robbers from darkening your doorway....not to mention slicing some mighty fine smoked bbq.
                    Great to see your success continuing....

• Rfhd69
                    Rfhd69 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s an awesome collection!

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm happy to heat that things are getting back to normal for you Paul, and very happy to see that you can still smile.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here