Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adventure Continues: Welcome to PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It won't be long now Paul before you will have your first BBQ restaurant.

Comment

OUR FIRST NIGHT IN BUSINESS!

3 weeks ago, we had our 1st night in biz vending! The Arts Council holds a free concert series, Live at the Lakefront, with bands, art for sale, beverages provided by the local AB dealer, and...Food Trucks! #PaulsRibShackBarbecue was there in style!

Here are my 2 oldest daughers, manning the Example Menu table. Hannah's arms opened is sort of like our entire night, "How do we do this?!!?"
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2618.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.56 MB ID:	298695

Did I mention earlier that I have a real business that I run, with 4 locations and employees and machines that break and customers to take care of and that this BBQ fun is a lot of work? Oh, yeah, I did. But we are here!

We had fully intended to do a practice vend the week before and get some rhythms down on who does what and how to get the production out...but there was too much other work to do. So, like is often the case, we figured it out as we did it. That is sort of my life story.

We were about 30 minutes late opening, but the food was good and the crowd was large. And hungry! Ultimately, we served about 200 people some good Barbecue and had fun.

Here are the 2 oldest Princess Daughters at the Example Plate table we set up. They are wonderful young women! And the table is so cool!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2616.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.02 MB ID:	298693

Oh, yeah, we cooked a bunch of Ribs and Brisket and Turkey and Chicken and Beans and Slaw for this opening night! All over Oak Logs burning at the bottom of this smoker! Don't these Ribs look great!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2606.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.24 MB ID:	298696

Here is the Example Menu table at the end of the night. Love this setup! My middle daughter saved the butcher paper, saying I will want the opening night menu as a keepsake. She's right!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2632.JPG Views:	2 Size:	4.91 MB ID:	298697

Several previous #Riblisters came out, and loved the food and the experience!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2626.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.75 MB ID:	298692

On the left is Sam, my right-hand man. He did great. Next is Buck, one of my mentees. And then Allen, my best bud. He and his wife came out all 3 opening nights to help.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2625.JPG Views:	2 Size:	5.31 MB ID:	298694

Lots more to say, and the pics from the 2nd and 3rd weekends...but, I. AM. TIRED!

And yet, I've got a single brisket out on the Jambo, and I'm tending a fire. LOVE IT! But, I am going to pull that sucker, pan it, and put it in the CVAP at 210 degrees, no matter whether it's probe tender yet or not. It's Midnight and I'm tired!

Happy Barbecue to you guys!
      paul
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PaulstheRibList; April 2, 2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Why does everyone look like the are having fun, Paul? Work is not supposed to be fun! Great job!

• bbqoaf
        bbqoaf commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, this is tied with Henrik building his smoker for my favourite thread in the Pit. Keep the pics and stories coming!

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you all!
        Thanks Spinaker - just trying to be as cool as you!
        fzxdoc, those princesses God has allowed me to shepard are so great!
        tbob4, we want to spread the fun everywhere!
        And being compared with Henrik and his epic work is high praise!

I love keeping up with this thread. Congrats on a successful opening night and run. Food looks amazing and I love the display table idea!

Comment

Vending Event #5 happening Thursday Night...wonder what's on the menu #GetOntheRibList
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Menu - PRS - Food Truck Invasion, April 6, 2017.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	300533

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish I could make it! Keep rolling Paul!

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Quit teasing me and just tell me what the "Manager's Special" is! By the way - that rack of ribs looks loaded. I hope the safety was engaged when you took the photo. Hahahahaha. Great job, as usual.

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        tbob4, we could take that same pic holding an AR15, you know, the other AR, and do a switch back-n-forth GIF!

Wow what a great rig, sounds like you have it figured out. Good luck and here is to a brilliant future!

Comment

Congrats! The rig and everything looks beautiful

Comment

I think a lot of people here have dreamed of opening a BBQ business, but most of never will. So living the dream through your posts is very enjoyable Paul.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            RonB, I'm so glad the journey is fun for you guys, too!

Whew...Did I mention to you guys that running a barbecue truck is both fun AND work? We are now about 3 months in, something like a dozen public gigs, plus some friend ones, and Man, this is fun! (and work).

My other business is also really busy with customers, and more than that, me pushing really hard to finish some projects. The combo of these two things means my storytelling to you, my Pitmaster Club peeps, has been neglected. Alas, I shall repent and make regular updates on about the Paul's Rib Shack adventure.

Our debut was at a 3 week concert series at our Civic Center seawall, Live at the Lakefront. It's a fundraiser for the area Art's Council. The pics above are from week 1, and the pic's in here are from week's 2-3, in March.

In golf, the expression is "Drive for show. Putt for dough." In the Q Buz, I think the adaptation is, "Brisket for show. Pulled Pork for dough." I'm still not dialed in on the pulled pork recipe, a little tweaking on the pull technique and the saucing. It's good, however! Here is Sam putting on the butt's for Week 2!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2696.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.30 MB ID:	332970

The Myron Mixon 72XC is...Big! The friend I made in Carolina who uses this in his business says he can load it up with 90 butts at max...that's a bunch! We haven't done that yet.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2701.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.23 MB ID:	332967

Aren't they pretty!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2717.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.83 MB ID:	332971

We use a 10 gallon Jambalaya pot to saute the veggies for the base in the Beans. It is some kind of pretty!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2714.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.72 MB ID:	332974

This is Amanda. She and her husband opened http://www.sloppytacotruck.com/ and thus launched the food truck scene in Lake Charles, only 3 years ago! She came by and gave some support! (She also gave feedback that week: the pulled pork was a little undersalted, and she wanted some more spice with it. I'll take the feedback so we can improve!)
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2725.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.22 MB ID:	332968

Here is the order taking crew! My wife worked the point of sale, and the twins took orders and showed the samples outside. I'm the rover. When I'm not needed for production, I'm the hype man working the crowd!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_40390.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	332969

This is vending night #2 at Live at the Lakefront. The Twins, my 14 year old daughters, are on point manning the samples table and getting the orders on the pad before the customers get to the window. They are great! The BAD news is there was some rain, some wind, so the event was moved INDOORS, while us food truck peeps were outdoors. So, we sold less than half of the 1st week, and had a good many leftovers. That's not as fun. Oh well, there's always Next week!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2733.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.00 MB ID:	332976

The next day, Saturday, we vended at a charity event, Touch a Truck, sponsored by the Junior League. They set up all these cool trucks and construction vehicles for little kids to climb on, have fun, and learn. It was great for the community! That rain storm that threatened and rained a little the night before lingered into the morning, and we didn't really sell much until about 1. They we picked up well for the remaining hour. And we made some great friends!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2736.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	332972

The next day, Sunday, we went to one of my great friend's church, Mouth Olive Baptist Church, to give away food at the parade to honor the STATE CHAMPION BASKETBALL TEAM, Washington-Marion Chargin' Indians! Go Indians! We made more friends and had fun. Three days...three events...three locations. I was glad to park the trailer that night and go home. Satisfied.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2745.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.32 MB ID:	332977

This is the trailer and the crowd starting to build before the event. They loved the sausage and the pulled pork leftovers!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2747.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.55 MB ID:	332978

Week 3 of Live of the Lakefront was the next Friday. It WENT GREAT! We served about 250 plates. At the peak, we were serving a customer every 30-40 seconds. If you are not impressed by that, then you should be. Here is the main serving crew: Colin at left, working the steam table. Sam in the front, #BrisketSword in hand at the cutting board. And Dominic with the beannie had, working the sides in the back and the bun section. (I added another shelf above the steam table where we now have the buns and slaw-iced tray. We were busy, so I don't have many pictures!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2759.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.62 MB ID:	332975

The tourism bureau sent a photographer to cover the event, and I love the shot he picked! We were amping up the fire to finish the turkey and do some shrimp. #StickBurnersRule
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2760.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	332973

Comment

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            So cool, hope it continues to grow!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude, this is so great! I love it when great people do well. You'd deserve every bit of it Paul.

I love these posts! Keep them up. If you ever get the truck to the Houston or Galveston area please let me know. My boy would love to get some of your BBQ (so would I but I'm a long way away). If your truck goes to any events in LA near the Texas border, let me know as well. He will drive for good food.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            I am 2 hours away from Downtown Houston! #CloseEnoughForRoadTrips!!!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I am sending him.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah! Get your boy over there!

Great story and pictures. Happy people eating good food!

Comment

It's good to see your beautiful family involved and sharing the adventure. They're grown and gone all too soon. We've been through that with our kids and now our grandkids. You're livin' the dream. Enjoy the ride, Paul.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            Oh, dude, thank you! I love having the girlies helping - and they are good at it, too!

Well, you're certainly no stranger to hard work, PaulstheRibList , and your enthusiasm virtually jumps off the monitor as I read your posts. It sounds as though you've thought through this endeavor very thoroughly and are following your game plan toward success. You've got a beautiful setup and if the food tastes half as good as it looks, Aaron Franklin should watch his back.

I wish you all the best. You deserve it.

Kathryn

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            That is so encouraging to hear, fzxdoc - it's a weird day when I'm not enthusiastic, but it does happen. Some portions were well thought through, but I'm great at improvising, either way. lol, I don't think Aaron has much to worry about from me.

PaulstheRibList, It appears you have Your BBQ Trailor up and Running Smoothly! As gcdmd (George) said above it's Great to See the Family Participation! Those two Lt Wt's You have with You Look Like They Can Hold Your Trailer Down in a Full Fledged Hurricane❓ 🤗😇🤗
          Congratulations and May the Fun Outrun the Work!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            Dude, I love that expression, "May the Fun Outrun the Work!"

This whole post has been thoroughly enjoyable Paul. Kee the posts coming.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, sir! It's more fun getting to share this little story with my pitmaster peeps.

I just discovered this thread. Leaves me wondering two things.

Just how serious, I mean really serious, is Paul about BBQ?

When are we going to see him on 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives'?

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            I love your hyperbole...it's my favorite literary device!

Oh, to hear ole Guy on the trailer saying, "Welcome to Flavor Town!" He should defiantly #GetOntheRibList

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here