Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restaurant recommendations in the Louisville, KY area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restaurant recommendations in the Louisville, KY area?

My team and I will be in Louisville working next week. Any recommendations for restaurants would be greatly appreciated. We're obviously interested in BBQ, but also are interested in non-BBQ places as well since only a couple of us are sophisticated enough to eat BBQ for every meal.

Thanks in advance!

Last fall I was staying one night at the Marriott downtown. The reviews of Doc Crow's looked promising, but I found they were closed when I walked over there (Sunday evening). They also have seafood, so that would round things for the others on your team. http://doccrows.com/

Finally ended up at Guy Fieri's Smokehouse. It's on a section of 4th St. south of West Liberty that closed off to foot traffic. There's restaurants like TGI Friday's and Hard Rock in the same block, and those kind of places are not my thing.

I'll see if I can find some photos from previous visits to Jog my memory.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit, N227GB
      Love yer avatar, as does my Kitty Kat, "Smokey"!

Comment

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! That was one of the Bar-B-Cats up north that liked hanging out on Webers.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        So, when the cat jumps off, does that mean the grill is almost up to the desired temp?

Hammerheads is one of my favorite places in Louisville. It can be a bit cumbersome at peak times given its small size and no reservation set up.

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        caastein thanks for this great recommendation. Our team (10 of us) had dinner there and everyone loved it. It's like a dive bar with great food. We had an awesome time. Thanks!

• caastein
        caastein commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to help. There are so many places to choose from it can be difficult

I'm about 45 minutes south of downtown Louisville. You are headed to a highly underrated place for food! As noted, Doc Crow's and Hammerheads are good choices. If you're looking for a steakhouse, Jeff Ruby's. Jack Fry's is sort of an iconic Louisville restaurant. They have a variety of choices that are all fantastic.

If you like Cuban, which I most certainly do, there is Havana Rumba. Two locations, one in the St. Matthews area and one in Middletown on Shelbyville Rd. (U.S. 60). This is actually hands down my favorite casual place to eat in Louisville. A close 2nd is Eiderdown for German, American and German-inspired cuisine.

That ham sandwich I had for lunch today is wearing off quickly just thinking about all of that...
      Last edited by Steve R.; February 26, 2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. great call on Havana Rumba and Eiderdown. We hit Havana Rumba on our first night and everyone really enjoyed it. The mojitos didn't hurt in making it a great visit. Eiderdown was one of the biggest hits of the trip. Everyone raved about the food and came away stuffed. The team said to tell you thanks for the great recommendations!

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem, glad you all enjoyed your visit!

i was there last year doing the bourbon trail. i was at "Mark's Feed store" and had some fantastic ribs.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! We look forward to trying some of them out!

Comment

I was going to say.....There has to be some good BBQ in KY. If not, I know DW has one hell of a BBQ kitchen in KY!

Comment

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            Road trip! Stopping by DWCowles at the end of our bourbon tour on Friday is an excellent idea. Great call Spinaker.

Bumping this topic for any recent recommendations for the Louisville area? My wife and I will be staying there next Friday night. I noticed Against the Grain was at the Windy City Smokeout this weekend but after reading some reviews on TripAdvisor, it seems they garner more accolades for beer rather than food.

Comment

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            We went to the AtG in Louisville Slugger Field when we were there in December. The 'Q had good flavor, but was all overcooked for my tastes.

Places we’d been told are worthwhile include

Lobby Bar & Grill at the Brown Hotel

La Bodeguita de Mima

Game

Le Moo

Jack Fry's

If you hit any of these, let us know how they are.

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Brown Hotel got great ratings on TA. I’ll post what I find out regardless of where we eat.

The Against the Grain Sandwich Emporium got rave reviews from the rest of the crew we were with. Mussel & Burger Bar, which is right next door, made a damn tasty burger. You pretty much have to get a hot brown at the Brown, though the one at Troll Bar is also worthy. The Evan Williams Experience speakeasy tour is cool, and the bar is also. Third Street Dive is a cool dive bar, if you're in to that kind of thing. Gotta go back, it's a cool city.

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Might hit the Third St. Dive as an after dinner experience. Always like a funky dive bar.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here