Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any updated central-ish Kentucky BBQ recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Ahh yes, the Sunlight for lamb & mutton. I wasn't thinking of that when I read your post.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Great info, I thought of tagging you but I figured you'd be by soon enough. Thanks!

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    Meathead has an article about it:
    In Western Kentucky the BBQ is mutton, and the sauce is vinegary, spiked with Worcestershire sauce. Here's a recipe for black BBQ sauce inspired by Moonlite Bar-B-Q Sauce & Dip. This thin tart sauce cuts the rich fat, making it perfect for use as a deeply penetrating baste as the meat cooks or as a finishing sauce.

And if you Google it, there's lots of info and recipes. I believe the black comes from the heavv Worcester component.

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    The black sauce is more of an Owensboro/Western KY thing. You likely won't see that anywhere else.

• Steve R.
    replied
    It's been a year or so since I was in Richmond, but Straight From Texas Bar-B-Que is really good, and I am almost always disappointed by BBQ restaurants. The brisket was a bit more fall-apart on my last visit than I would prefer, but the owner says he does it that way because it's what sells, and I can understand that. It tastes exactly like what I make at home on a good day. This would easily be my first choice.

If you find yourself just a few miles down I-75 in Berea, I remember Hitz BBQ being pretty decent. Berea is an artsy fartsy kind of place, so there is other stuff to see and do there as well. If ya'll are into that stuff, I would recommend this as a side trip.

Red State BBQ in Lexington is said to be good, but I haven't tried that one yet. It's probably worth checking out. Would love to hear the take of someone whose opinion I trust.
    Last edited by Steve R.; September 29, 2021, 10:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Never heard of it but I will keep an eye out.

• Murdy
    replied
    No recommendations here, but high on my list in that area would be to get some of that black bbq sauce they have.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    started a topic Any updated central-ish Kentucky BBQ recommendations?

Any updated central-ish Kentucky BBQ recommendations?

I'll be in Richmond KY at the end of October. About a half hr SE of Lexington. Wife and I plan to drive to to Frankfort to hit Buffalo Trace again. Are there any updates to recommendations in this general area, Richmond-Lexington-Frankfort? (Doubtful we'd venture as far as Louisville).

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here