Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk chicken joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk chicken joints

Pretty lucky here in the Kansas City area to have a Mom and Pop chicken joint called Go Chicken Go.
    REAL fried chicken served fresh all day.
    I am an absolute fan of the livers, or gizzards, or the half and half box.
    The Go Sauce is just hot enough to keep things interesting.
    I an NOT a hot freak but they also have some of the best pickled jalapeños I have ever eaten.
    I can match jalapeño to chicken wing all day long and enjoy it.
    Prices are pretty darn good.
    Dine-in or carryout fried chicken, wings & strips, gizzards & livers, rolls, sides, and desserts. Get the best fried chicken in KC today.

Sweet name.

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out their Our Story section on the link. They have a unique way of having their chicken cut. A 9 piece cut rather than 8. They slice the breast into 3 pieces instead of 2. It really does make a difference to get smaller pieces. Seems.like it stays juicier. It really is a favorite.

Gawd I love chicken! Especially fried.

Comment

There is an amazing place here in the ironbound section of newark, nj called elm st bbq. It does theee best Portuguese style chicken i have ever had. You can get a huge platter of a full chicken, yellow rice, and fries for about $11. Its incredible.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on Portuguese chicken.
        Best is in Brampton on Fisherman Dr can't remember the name but they're the bomb
        Huge following, pretty much have to pre-order four-five days in advance of any dinner or event
        Massive servings.....I'm hungry again

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Googled it - Churrasqueira Nova Esperansa....the bomb if your ever up this way
        On Brickyard Way not Fisherman Drive....Opps....

The only really good mom and pop near us closed many years ago. All that's available is KFC, Bojangles, and Popeyes If f I want fried chix, I go to Popeyes. My wife rarely eats fried foods so I normally go there when she has other plans...

Comment

• Cheef
        Cheef commented
        Editing a comment
        When I HAVE to eat KFC? I cant figure out for the life of me what piece I'm eating unless its a wing. They must just run those birds through a lawn mower.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        If I want fried chicken its Popeyes up here
        Put a gun to my head and tell me I have to eat KFC, I'll take the bullet
        I think Bojangles is up here just can't place a location.

I like Popeye's. But I REALLY like Nashville hot chicken from the actual hot chicken joints in Nashville. You can get some Nashville inspired stuff at KFC, but it's not even close to the same thing.

Comment

Remember when you went to a KFC and they actually cooked your order while you waited....boy do I feel old now, almost ancient!!!!
        Now it s premade and reheated by all fast food companies but for some reason the grease that comes out of KFC is like napalm in my gizzard.
        Not so with Popeyes....go figure

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Popeye’s is definitely the best of the chains. Especially their spicy. Their newish chicken sandwich is really good also. Their red beans and rice and taters and gravy is also good......for fast food.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John, I finally had one of Popeye's chicken sandwiches yesterday. I was surprised at how good it was. Not good enough to shoot someone over, but pretty darn good.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree klflowers I wouldn’t shoot somebody over it, maybe knife em, but definitely not shoot em. 😂

gizzards have to be cook just right to be edible.
        Tx for info

Comment

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          Go Chicken Go has livers and gizzards figured out.
          They fry in small batches and always fresh and hot.

There's a sketchy gas station I drive past on the way home everyday that has a sign proclaiming it to be NC's best fried chicken... one of these days I'll man up, pull in, and give it a shot... did I mention it's super sketchy?

Comment

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          Gas station fried chicken is way better than gas station sushi. 🍣

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Some of the best dining I've ever had is in very sketchy establishments. I usually try not to look at much besides my food and family out of fear of what I might see though.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          I draw a not so fine line between hole in the wall/middle of nowhere and sketchy very high crime rate area and in disrepair. I did check the reviews today after this post to try and drum up some courage... but the recent reviews all say it isn't what it once was, so probably gonna take a hard pass. A Thai place we go to has a military cot blocking part of the dining area and the staff verbally and physically fights in the kitchen... but the food is good and cheap. That's a good hole in the wall

The Popeye's here were good when they first opened years ago, but they have gone downhill. Last time we were in New Orleans, we took a guided tour through the city, and the tour guide told us the Popeye's there is not like anywhere else. And he was right - it was much better than any I have had anywhere else. As for local joints, there is a place called Chicken with Bones ( the family name is Bones, some kin to my wife) that is passably fair.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          If that original Popeye's is that much better than the rest, I don't know what I would do with myself, cause I https://youtu.be/2IrXtsd5LKQ?t=27

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. it is. I mean really a lot better. We grabbed a big box on our way out of town on the way home (wife, son and I), and we ate the entire box of like 12 pieces. Kind of hard to drive while juggling a hot piece of chicken. Had breading all over the place.

I guess I'm pretty lucky, there's a place close to where I live called 'The Chicken' that makes good homemade fried chicken as well as a Nashville hot chicken I like. However, I have to say that I've never had true Nashville Hot to know if it compares.

We also vacation every couple years (used to be yearly when my grandparents had a cabin) near Park Rapids, MN and there's a place up there called the Dorset Chick'n Coop that has made wonderful broasted chicken for decades. It was actually where I learned what good broasted or fried chicken could actually taste like.

Comment

We have Bush’s chicken down here. Good for livers/gizzards. Other stuff, meh.

Comment

Popeyes is our chain go to, but there’s a local place called Lolo’s that does great fried chicken among other southern favorites.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            synodog Where you been man? We miss your posts. Come out and play a little more often dude. Other wise you’ll be put on probation.

• synodog
            synodog commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John been in Georgia since my mother went into the hospital last Friday. My little sister and her family were on their way to visit in-laws so I had to come get her out. She’s good now and I’ve got plenty of vacation time I need to bleed off. I need to start cooking again though. Been missing that familiar smoke smell in the air.

Cheef: Always thought Stroud's in KC was one of nation's very best. What say you?

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            John Henry
            I would agree on Stroud's. It has changed over the last 5 or 6 years. How long since you ate there?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here