Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Center of the BBQ Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center of the BBQ Universe

I can't believe NO one has listed any of the best BBQ places IN THE WORLD - right here in the KC metro. Okay, Jack Stack is the best for an "upscale" BBQ restaurant (Cheesy Corn); Joe's KC BBQ (formerly known as Oklahoma Joe's) is the best "gas station BBQ" in town; Woodyard in KC, KS is outstanding (though a bit salty sometimes); and, I would be remiss to not acknowledge the best of the best of the best as Arthur Bryant's. Now I know some of my opinions may be arguable however, as I didn't mention Johnny's BBQ (renowned). That's where we gather for (whole) family dinners (birthdays, special events). Johnny's is generally very good however, can tend to be somewhat inconsistent depending on demand. I suspect when they get busy they might rush a smoked brisket and, chicken tends to be pretty dry. While I love Johnny's, I do think they rely on their reputation and historical acclaim way too much. Fried Mac and Cheese bites - nuff said.

I am blessed to have all of these restaurants within 10 minutes of my house. Although, it tends to make me lazy (work for hours or drive for a few minutes). Came here today to find some recipe ideas for tonight so, I better get going.

Love me some BBQ! Meathead is my hero for having created this site and for the great many tips, techniques and recipes shared herein. Happy Holidays to all!
    Last edited by sfinell; December 13, 2014, 10:09 AM. Reason: Corrected reference to Johnny's Fried Mac and Cheese bites and added Cheesy Corn for Jack Stack (Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ)

I'm moving there just for the BBQ

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be SO COOL!!!!

We'd practically be neighbors!

We would prolly draw th' Stankeye of the EPA, fer all th' smoke, but Damn, we could have us some cooks!!!!

I need to try the other places, but I hit Joe's for the ribs every time, which is a lot.

Comment

Peebles Barbecue in Auburndale, Florida serves some of the best barbecue I've ever had. It was started in 1947 by Elle and Gladys Peebles. Today it is owned by their daughter and son-in-law, the Stricklands. There is no air conditioning. The restaurant is basically a large screened-in porch with a tin roof. It is open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 11:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. from mid-September through June. The tables are picnic tables that seat more than 6, so you'll probably eat with people you don't know. The menu is pork ribs, chicken, beef, sausage, beans, potato salad, slaw, and white bread. The barbecue sauces are homemade. They do a very large take-out business. It is not uncommon for people to drive over 20 miles to get take-out. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, Peebles Barbecue was listed in Florida travel guides along with Cypress Gardens, Silver Springs, and Daytona Beach as a "must visit" place.

Comment

You are fortunate,indeed.Good Q places are scarce in the rural SE.

Comment

My one experience in KC led me to Smokin' Guns and I will tell you the ribs were outstanding...I had wished I did not get the burnt ends as well.

Comment

sfinell I completely agree. I work for Cerner but live in Birmingham (Hoover) area. OK joes is #1 place for Brunt Ends -- lord how mercy. The rest of their food great -- I didn't like the chili but everything else was awesome. Gates is my 2nd choice - honestly I like their ribs. I am not a fan of Arthur Bryant's - I didn't like but -- I'm from the side there's not "bad Q" just some that's better because it's all personal preference.

I did try Smoking Guns - the Triple D - brisket was so tough I couldn't eat it. I told the waitress she said and I quote "want a box?" - my response "hell if I can't eat here I sure can't eat it at the hotel" I did like the beans but overall left disappointed.

Comment

For me it is Joe's KC.
              Close second is K&M BBQ in Springhill, KS (About 30 miles south of KC.
              I have never been a fan of Arthur Bryant.
              OR Jack Stacks-wine list and BBQ just don't seem a good fit to me but it must be my redneck poking out because it is REALLY popular.

Comment

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                Any places open up there on Sunday? I come up for the games, and since they are almost all noon this year I come and go the same day and it seems they are all closed.

I'm not living anywhere but California...but I'm willing to make BBQ pilgrimages!

Comment

_John_ KC Joes is always a winner. Don't be spooked by the long lines--they hustle you right on through. Seriously fast at taking orders and serving folks. IF you are coming up from the South on I-35 KC Joes is right off the interstate at 119th Street exit in Olathe.
                If you are coming from the South K&M in Springhill, KS is definitely my second choice and it looks like they are open on Sundays from 11 to 6.

Comment

• _John_
                  _John_ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  KC Joe's is my favorite so far but not open on Sunday!! I was so ready to eat after that last second loss, KC let me down twice that day...

Q 39, hands down! Rob is a 2-time KCBS team of the year winner. He personally supervises the kitchen. I was very impressed.

Comment

• _John_
                  _John_ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome, thanks, looks like an easy stop for me.

If yer already in KC, might as well make the trek down I35 to GMT!
                Fantastic ribs in a tiny town!
                How many been there already?
                I ain' t even heard them mentioned, 'til now
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 7, 2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Randy-Phx
                  Randy-Phx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I grew up in Lawrence. Been to Guy & Mae's Tavern nany times. My favorite BBQ in the area. Love the ssuce and the tender ribs. Beans are very good too.

Here in Wi. people think that "Famous Daves" is the height of BBQ restaurants. Gag...

Comment

Originally posted by Abom View Post
                  Here in Wi. people think that "Famous Daves" is the height of BBQ restaurants. Gag...
                  Understood...

In my experience, most people only think that they think... that's what makes this forum refreshing; it is an actual Think Tank!

Jus' sayin'.

Comment

I would like to go to the Mecca of BBQ here in Texas, better known as Austin! But I keep running up against one problem. Those lines I'm not going to waste 4 or 5 hours of my little time off (meaning away from Lubbock) waiting for Lunch. Now Sure I wait 6+ hours for my own ribs (gotta let them rest after all) or 16 to 18 hours for my Brisket but that is somehow different I dont feel like I'm wasting my time?? Sure I would love to compare mine to Franklin's or Freedmen's! Franklins needs to ope a couple satellite locations so we can just walk in and order!!

Comment

• Mark E.
                      Mark E. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Waiting in line. Such a waste of time. I don't get why people do it frequently. A long wait is a show stopper for me. Only the DMV can compel me to give in to it.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here